• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air stations?

mxracer19

Hanging out in K-Vegas.
I'm aware of Beaufort, New River, Miramar, and Okinawa...but lets say one actually makes it and gets winged...what are his possibilities as far as location? Will the Marine Corps station its officers and squadrons at naval air stations?

...Beside "The needs of the Marine Corps."

p.s. I searched..briefly..on here and google.

Thanks guys,
-Matt

phrogpilot73

I'm aware of Beaufort, New River, Miramar, and Okinawa...but lets say one actually makes it and gets winged...what are his possibilities as far as location? Will the Marine Corps station its officers and squadrons at naval air stations?
Here's the breakdown:

MCAS Camp Pendleton, CA (HMLA and HMM)
MCAS Miramar, CA (HMM, HMH, VMFA, VMGR)
MCAS Yuma, AZ (VMA)
MCAS Cherry Point, NC (VMA, VMGR, VMAQ)
MCAS New River, NC (HMM, HMH, HMLA)
MCAS Beaufort, SC (VMFA)
MCB Kaneohe Bay, HI (HMH)
MCAS Futenma, Okinawa, Japan (HMM, VMGR)
MCAS Iwakuni, Japan (VMFA)

Outside of training commands, you won't get stationed at a NAS. I also didn't include any reserve units, since you'll be starting off active duty...

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Here's the breakdown:

MCAS Yuma, AZ (VMA)

Headquarters and Headquarters Squadron Search and Rescue at MCAS Yuma is pretty much where they send all the coolest Marines, keep that in mind when you select UH-1's.

Sure, you will have to be a senior Captain or a Major before you get there - but when you are cruising 50 feet off the Colorado River and a party boat full of bikini-clad coed's flies by on their way to some Memorial Day blow-out beach party...it will all be worth it.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Sure, you will have to be a senior Captain or a Major before you get there - but when you are cruising 50 feet off the Colorado River and a party boat full of bikini-clad coed's flies by on their way to some Memorial Day blow-out beach party...it will all be worth it.

Just made me think about my roomate at WTI who had to go see "the man" after the OpsO, who was out on his boat on a Sunday afternoon, happened to see one of his birds doing some "scenic" FCF'ing. :D

cisforsmasher

pilot
Do VMAQs and VAQs ever share assets or pilots (outside of an exchange tour)?

I am by no means an expert but I did just get a brief on the growler where it looks like as the Navy switches over, their airframes will become Marine until we give up on it... approximately 2018, if not later. Till then, i believe the RAG is shared up in Whidbey. Everything else is segregated.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
My thinking was along the lines that its a specialized trade, with a smaller amount of aircraft... also an asset that is needed by other services. My reasoning doesn't always make sense, even to me :) I figured it'd still be specifically USMC or USN, now I know. thanks for the info.

Crowbar

None
I am by no means an expert but I did just get a brief on the growler where it looks like as the Navy switches over, their airframes will become Marine until we give up on it... approximately 2018, if not later. Till then, i believe the RAG is shared up in Whidbey. Everything else is segregated.

From a MATSG-53 brief I found online:

USMC responsible for EA-6B FRS in FY 2010
Navy begins transition to EA-18G in 2009
Navy completes transition in 2012
USMC continues to fly EA-6B until 2020

Not saying you're right or wrong, just giving some amplifying information.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Here's the breakdown:

MCAS Camp Pendleton, CA (HMLA and HMM)
MCAS Miramar, CA (HMM, HMH, VMFA, VMGR)
MCAS Yuma, AZ (VMA)
MCAS Cherry Point, NC (VMA, VMGR, VMAQ) soon to add an HMH & possibly HMLA
MCAS New River, NC (HMM, HMH, HMLA) don't forget VMM
MCAS Beaufort, SC (VMFA)
MCB Kaneohe Bay, HI (HMH) CH-53D's only (thought I'd clarify)
MCAS Futenma, Okinawa, Japan (HMM, VMGR)
MCAS Iwakuni, Japan (VMFA)

Outside of training commands, you won't get stationed at a NAS. I also didn't include any reserve units, since you'll be starting off active duty...

/

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Headquarters and Headquarters Squadron Search and Rescue at MCAS Yuma is pretty much where they send all the coolest Marines, keep that in mind when you select UH-1's.

while you "cool" Marines are working on Memorial Weekend, us fighter & attack pilots are on that party boat full of bikini-clad coed's laughing at you ...

S/F

jfulginiti

pilot
None
From your own tagline, "What would be the point?" I've never heard of it, but the RAG is joint (Navy, Marines, USAF).

Brett

Jets will occassionally get transferred (directly or indirectly) between Navy and Marines squadrons, usually after getting re-winged. Pilots and NFOs not so much.... although VMAQ-2 got a Navy LTJG ECMO a few years ago because his wife was a Marine stationed at Camp Lejeune.