• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air National Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

psu_midn

I am curious to know what the Air National Guard is. Are they reservists that like to fly. Active duty military personal. Not really sure.

Hopefully someone can she light on this for me

FLY NAVY

O-man

Mostly former active now reserve. almost NO one gets to be just an air guard avaitor with out being prior active.

Gabe2surf

99% of all Air National Guard units hire at least 1 pilot per year, some 2 or 3. I'd say at least 90% of the units, you don't have to be a prior service pilot. You would only be hired as a full time guy if you were an instructor pilot in the weapons platform you are going to be flying in that particular unit and thats if they have a full time slot available. I'd say about 75-80% of Guardsmen pilots are part-timers.

zack

Air National Guard interviews

I have a couple of ANG interviews coming up and was wondering if anybody out there has some experiences they would like to share, especially some of the questions they ask and any other good info. Thanks.
Zack

Mikeman02

Air National Guard???

hey everybody,
I am stuck wondering about what path I should take to becomeing a pilot(if selected)USAF or ANG. I herd that ANG is a lot easier than getting a slot in the Air Force, and you basically pick what squardon you want to fly with. Doese anyone have any imput, or is there any ANG pilots out there help me with my decision. Is selection process easier???

- Just another question by:
Mike 8D

JTP

You might want to try studentpilot.net and check their forum for info. They are dedicated to Air Farce and Guard info, like we are on Naval Aviation.
To help you out though.....Guard slots are much harder to receive. You do choose the squardrons you want to persue (knowing where you will live, and what you will fly), but they're slots are very limited and can be somewhat political.
That's all I can tell ya, but that website can give you all the info you need to look into 2nd rate avaition (only kidding).

YEAH COME ON!!

DMan

I'm just guessing here, but wouldn't most ANG spots be reserved for AF pilots coming off Active Duty who want to go reserve or NG? That way, the AF can save tons of money instead of training pilots who would fly part-time, unless ANG mostly have Active Duty NG pilots.

DMan

tweak

ok dudes...here's the scoop on the whole ANG mystery. I spent 6 in the Nav and 3 in the Ohio Air Guard (going back to more excitment in the Nav "Get Some!"). The way the ANG works as like any other job - well, almost. You have to take the AFOQT = Air Force Officer Qualification Test. If you score well enough, then you can take the BAT = Basic Attributes Test. These are both requirements for AF and the ANG. What comes out of the AFOQT & BAT (and some other ingredients) is a Pilot Candidate Scoring Multiple or PCSM. This is a score that predicts your passing flight training. (PSSST! You didn't hear from me PCSM is a PERCENTILE!!!)
Where it differs is, almost all the AF slots go to academy-pukes & ROTC-pukes. That leaves only Navigator slots for civies and prior-services. In the ANG, you will know what slots are available and how many. In addition, everyone pretty much has a fair chance for the slot. There is a hierarchial (and unofficial) breakdown though of how they fill the slots: 1st-applicants within the advertising squadron, 2nd-applicants from other military services, 3rd-those with no military experience, but flight experience (doesn't include riding "coach"), 4th-everyone else. Prior-service pilots have precedence over all applicants. TO find some of the latest unit openings go to: www.baseops.net
I know this from experience. I was about to apply for my unit's openings. I was told I was a sure-shot in because of my prior-military experience, my flight-experience, my degree, and my AFOQT & BAT scores.
Also, "F" the AF!!!! I went and talked to some a-hole officer recruiter (2nd time in life) about becoming a AF pilot (stupid me). With his shit-kickers on the desk & civilian camouflage on, he told me my scores were "ok". My PCSM was 92, and everyone said that's one of the highest they've seen. Most average in the 70s. Honestly, though, it was the best thing to happen. Like I did years before, I walked right into the Navy's office and got placed exactly where I wanted to be. Going into the AF would've just been a waste of my talents. Navy pilots are the best, and that's where I belong.
But, if you have anymore questions, let me know.

tweak

Edited by - tweak on 07/26/2002 20:37:24

Erk183

Hey can anyone tell me anything about the Air National Guard... I remember reading a couple posts in this forum awhile back having something to do with knowing your airframe before hand but that ANG is really competetive to get into. How does it work?

Gabe2surf

You can apply to whatever Guard unit you want to apply to. Those units desiring to interview you will give you a call. If after the interview they decide they would like to hire you, you start the paperwork, physicals, etc... Whatever aircraft the unit flies will be the one that you will fly after UPT.
It is tough to get into the Guard. Most units hire prior enlisted from within their own unit. I would like to think I was lucky to be selected, but it is very competitive. I was one of two people hired out of about 55 applicants. Airlift units usually hire two people a year, while fighter units hire one person a year. Any other questions please give me your email and I'll try to help.
Good luck!!!

kent1644

Another thing, if you are not enlisted in that unit already and don't know anyone within the unit, you had better have a really good AFOQT and BAT score along with a lot of flight hours and ratings, or you probably won't have much of a chance of getting accepted.

NavyLonghorn

Any Air National Guard guys out there?

As a few of you might know I am a BDCP future SNA. I come from a family of flyers, my dad being a E-2C driver, T-2 instructor, and now Air Bus Captain, and my brother has his civi license, which brings me to my question. My brother just got his license this year, he is 25, extremely successful in his job at an options firm, a 3:20 marathoner, and an all around great guys. However, it seems like trying to get a pilot spots in one of these guard units, short of knowing someone, is an extremely up-hill battle. Does anyone have any gouge on how an extremely well motivated individual like my brother can get himself a postion? Is enlisting in one of the units so he can make connections his best bet? He relaly wants to do this, and is will to do whatever it takes.

kevin

air guard spots are EXTREMELY competetive as you seem to already know. not only is it very selective but very political (although some more so than others). a couple tips: getting a private license and hours is imperative so he should just keep flying as much as he can because the more hours you get the higher your pcsm score is (also try to ace the afoqt and bat- bat he can only take once per lifetime). try to score perfect on the pft. if he can get an advanced degree (m.s. etc) would probably help. most of all he should try to get "face time" with the units. that is what i was told when i was shopping. they need to put a face to a name because out of 100-200 applicants, they only select say 10 for interviews. hence he isnt much more than paper work beforehand, and them knowing him would help. enlisting in the unit can be a very good thing because a lot of units only hire in-house. however, doing this he runs the risk of either not getting picked (probably would be others in the unit trying to do the same thing) or, and this is especially an issue right now, he could get activated in which case he would have to stay where he was at the time. basically apply to as many units as possible because they are all different. as i said some only hire in-house, some only hire if you are originally from that state (iowa) and some you have to practically know a senator to get in (colorado). it's also much easier to get into a unit that flies heavies than fighters. if he's deadset on af why not try active duty (still very competetive right now, but not as bad as ang and it could change, whereas ang never will). hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.