• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Medal Society is formed

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Old days ... the only squadron guys who had a TS were guys who were flying NUKE capable missions ... their respective A/I's .... and amongst guys who were NOT Nuke-capable --- those who had gone to CSSP.

What's that??? It's James Bond. So don't ask.. :)

Loose lips sink ships. :eek:

Being a former COD guy, we don't get them and rightfully shouldn't. When I started seeing E-2 pilots and NFO's wearing them, well, I agree with Brett.

My skipper got a DFC and tho it was in 1972 Yankee station (E2 B's) his citation read some crap like "while flying his plane at a most difficult attitude for a sustained amount of time......" As a 21 YO E-4 ute even I felt embarrassed for him. He needed it that bad for the 4th stripe? :eek: Pretty weak I thought.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Right, Flash ... Canadian bacon. Eh ... ???

Hey, don't be a hoser!

strangebrew1.jpg

hscs

pilot
Goober -- not that we can go into detail -- I find it hard to believe that you need a TS to work certain nets.

Really, what non-staff type needs an SCI -- there really isn't anything we can't do on just a Secret clearance...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Goober -- not that we can go into detail -- I find it hard to believe that you need a TS to work certain nets.

Really, what non-staff type needs an SCI there really isn't anything we can't do on just a Secret clearance...

There are nets that you need an SCI to be on, we used them all of the time in the EP-3.

Having an SCI does give you that little bit of extra info that is very nice to have when you need it.

hscs

pilot
Depends on the altitude with which you're observing it. I can tell you, from an insider's perspective - and after having had to break to avoid it - it can be seen on the goggles down low. C-130 guys that were in Iraq HAD to have been "glorifying" their missions for air medal points. Case in point - saw a MISREP where they described in detail a manpad shot and having to maneuver to avoid, and then dispensing a section of Phrogs worth of flares. Then you're sitting there thinking "hmmm, I landed 5 minutes after them, and flew directly over the point where the shot supposedly came from, at the time they say they saw it. And I didn't see a thing. And they didn't maneuver."

Seen the same exact thing -- pretty sad...Half the time I think the transports see our test fires and call them safires.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Just wondering. For us, many many years ago, it was 20 points for a Strike/Flight Air Medal. Two points if we took fire, one point if we didn't. Is it still the same?
As already stated, 20 points for the strike/flight. OIF and OEF break down how the 20 points are acheived a little differently. OIF, 1 flight = 1 point. OEF, basically boils down to ~250 hours equals 20 points. Can't recall exactly. And of course the caveats for dropping ordnance, taking fire, etc...

I have to agree though with the overal sentiment on how the Air Medal is now viewed.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Most COD Guys do have TS/SCI elgibility, but don't have the need to know so it isn't "active".

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor

Really, what non-staff type needs an SCI -- there really isn't anything we can't do on just a Secret clearance...
There's a lot operationally that can't be done on just a Secret clearance. I was involved in a few missions myself in the P-3 where the crew needed TS and the PPC and TACCO needed SCI. Talk about a scramble to get the right people with the right clearances together. Good thing a couple of us DHs had previous SCIs and they were easy to reactivate. Obviously you don't have the need to know.....

BTW, the net might need a TS to work not because of the level of information being passed but because of the crypto needed to run the net.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
BTW, the net might need a TS to work not because of the level of information being passed but because of the crypto needed to run the net.
But the crypto gear is invisible (irrelevant) to the end users.

hscs

pilot
Hal -- I understand all that you have said, but all of my time in theater, we have rarely had to read a guy in. The vast majority of our folks have Secrets and get by without any problems.

To echo Steve, I think you have it backwards -- it should be the information that is sensitive (or how it was obtained) that drives the classification. If the codes are that sensitive, then only the people phyically handling them need the clearance.