• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Force v.s. Navy Culture Differences

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't disagree. I was responding to @insanebikerboy's comment that having a thumb safety is antiquated. I've had to get dudes and dudettes like you mentioned weapons-qualified. I even saw a few try out for the VBSS pipeline. I don't know what's more worrisome, the fear that many in the Navy have about guns or the many people who join up and cannot swim (even after being trained).
That's my point. It's not antiquated when you need a no-kidding physical block of the trigger for kids who don't know enough and haven't been trained enough to keep their proverbial booger hook off the bang switch. Hand a firearm to an untrained person, and where does their index finger go? Bam. Right on the trigger. DA/SA or Glock-type actions require an at least semi-trained user.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
A classic pic "only in Naval Aviation pic" - this pic is from a public social media post of a former department head when I was a JO at HC-6. This is his pic from HT's Advanced as an SNA. He got huge shit for wearing a beard - but under the rules of the late 1970's, it was technically permitted. This was still as a SNA mind you. Note SV-2 worn without LPU elements. Dude went on to retire as an O-6. This would be so "no bueno" in the AF.

1676341697790.png

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A classic pic "only in Naval Aviation pic" - this pic is from a public social media post of a former department head when I was a JO at HC-6. This is his pic from HT's Advanced as an SNA. He got huge shit for wearing a beard - but under the rules of the late 1970's, it was technically permitted.
Unpossible! Very Smart People have assured me that any facial hair being allowed in Their Navy would bring such an utter collapse of good order and discipline that we'd end up all being sunk by the PLA Navy, and America would be overrun by the evil communist hordes.
</SARCASM>

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
A gem of a video - an AF (presumably Edwards test pilot) and Navy (VX-4) share their analysis of flying and fighting the MIG-21. Fantastic.

HuggyU2

None
The ascot and popped collar duo is amazing.
Chuck: you are correct about Joe Jordan. He graduated from USAF TPS in 1955... back in the era of Mel Apt, Gus Grissom, and Deke Slayton, when no one had heard of those guys.

Last edited: