• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Force v.s. Navy Culture Differences

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
The reason that the Electronic-Instrument Procedures Library (E-IPL) exists is to have worldwide, ready procedures that can be quickly evaluated if needed at no additional cost to the services.
In AF land, the E-IPL is not approved for operational use.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I had an experience that speaks directly to Navy vs AF culture (circa mid 90s), and the instrument procedures and publications discussion here. I was an Asst Air Officer in N31 for NAVEUR when Secretary Brown's mishap occurred. I flew into London one week only to find we were a VFR air force. The Admiral's response was almost immediate, find a way around this. We couldn't be restricted to VFR in Europe. Because I was an airline guy Air Ops gave the job to me, figuring I knew more about Jepps than any of the other aviators on staff. My first call was to USAFE. Got my equivalent there and asked him what their plans were for getting back into the air asap. His response was shocking. "Well, nothing. What can we do? We have our orders. It will get worked out. Nothing for us to do. " When I mentioned that it looked like the process being pursued would take many months, he was not swayed. USAFE was willing to be reduced to a VFR air force and not advocate anything that would get them back in the clouds. The Navy simply was not similarly disposed. We were not going to sit on our butts while a process played out thousands of miles away, without being at the table and no assurances haste was a priority.