• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Force v.s. Navy Culture Differences

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I remember when the NYANG unit at Stewart transitioned from the little Cessna Push Me-Pull You spotter planes to the C5 Galaxy. That must have been a trip.

Flip side was the sadness at Grand Forks when they went from F16 to MQ9, repeated at many other sites. Met some going through training, they were taking maintenance folks and turning them into EO/IR ball operators.

The flip-flip side was being able to go into a drill period and actually lob weapons in Afghanistan. I assume they overcame the type of orders issue on that one, since I worked with them in 2011.
Long time ago Reserve Helo unit ar Luke went F-16. Many rotor heads made the transition. Love the odd ball military stories.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Dear God. Better not hurt some kid’s fee-fees too much while I teach him how to not kill himself. Is there something I’m missing?

I think any large group of pilots will have a few of "that guy/gal" types. You probably knew who they were as an SNA and it's even more obvious if you're an IP. So there's a huge gap between "tough but fair" and "complete douche", and I imagine the latter group is what they're screening for.

We didn't have any USAF students coming through Whiting when I was flying, but I imagine if one was struggling there would be many a call back to their unit before it escalated. Especially if it was an attitude problem.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
I was a VAQ-129 RAG instructor when we had the first batch of USAF folks come through to help man the expeditionary squadrons. Lots of mixed backgrounds, some good, some not so good.

So, we were doing a "production det" to El Centro. Lots of flying, getting Xs. Students would fly twice a day, instructors three times. SDO called one USAF O-4 (want to say he was from some non-tactical platform (E-3, E-8?) night prior to tell him that the brief was moved up. He cried that the phone call interrupted his "crew rest" and he couldn't fly the next day. Since the whole set was planned to get specific Xs, big wrench in the works. That led to a closed door conversation with the Ops O. ?

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I was a VAQ-129 RAG instructor when we had the first batch of USAF folks come through to help man the expeditionary squadrons. Lots of mixed backgrounds, some good, some not so good.

So, we were doing a "production det" to El Centro. Lots of flying, getting Xs. Students would fly twice a day, instructors three times. SDO called one USAF O-4 (want to say he was from some non-tactical platform (E-3, E-8?) night prior to tell him that the brief was moved up. He cried that the phone call interrupted his "crew rest" and he couldn't fly the next day. Since the whole set was planned to get specific Xs, big wrench in the works. That led to a closed door conversation with the Ops O. ?

That is so USAF. "Don't call me to tell me during crew rest to tell me the schedule changed".

The OPSO in me knows how to respond to that... OK, punk'in, I've got a special deal, just for you...

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Good Afternoon Forum,

I am pursuing a pilot slot for 2023 and I have a couple questions regarding the culture differences between being an Air Force and Navy pilot. I understand the obvious day-to-day life is different, deployment is obviously very different, etc. but how are the personalities as a whole branch different from each other. What sort of person would prefer the Air Force route and vice versa. What sort of person do the Navy Selection committee lean towards and vice versa. Whatever you have to offer is extremely helpful. Thank you in advance!

The Airforce is much more of a professional flying Organization and the Navy isn’t. Air operations and air warfare is what they do as a primary mission set and they are set up as such, where as the Navy has these pesky boat things that the institution revolves around.

Reactions: Mos