• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Force v.s. Navy Culture Differences

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
When I applied in 2010 it was identical to the Navy process.
Guard and reserve you have a guaranteed UPT slot upon accession. Every single pilot candidate is tracked by name at the Chief of Staff level. UPT pilot attrition is almost non-existent.

Austin-Powers

Powers By Name, Powers By Reputation
LOL... wut?

It’s my honest opinion that I need to apply every and anywhere for a chance to fly. Just what I gathered from this site and my own intuition, I don’t wanna talk about out of my ass, but that’s the intel I gathered. Apply everywhere and whoever gives you a slot go for them.

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
UPT pilot attrition is almost non-existent.
Really? Is that for all USAF UPT or just guard UPT? I always understood that attrition was higher, particularly in the AF equivalent of IFS.

I was also under the impression that guard slots are highly competitive, especially when compared to active Navy/Air Force. An ideal first choice, but difficult to obtain.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Do people still compete for pilot slots at Air Force OTS? That was a big drawback to regular Air Force to me.

A straight up Flight contract was one of my big reasons for going Navy back in 2009. If I had to do it today, go Coast Guard.
Of course, when the weather is so bad that everyone else goes home or hurri-vacs their birds, the Coast Guard is launching into the storm to find some idiot in a sailboat.

HuggyU2

None
Really? Is that for all USAF UPT or just guard UPT?

I was also under the impression that guard slots are highly competitive...
First there is no "Guard UPT". All UPT is the same irrespective of of you're Active, Reserve, or Guard.
They syllabus requirements must be met: if you can do them, you graduate. The instructors grade you based on they syllabus... not if you're Guard or not.

Yes Guard and Reserve units are usually competitive. After all, they interview and want to bring in people that will fit in well. Some are way more competitive than others due to location and/or mission.

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
First there is no "Guard UPT". All UPT is the same irrespective of of you're Active, Reserve, or Guard.
They syllabus requirements must be met: if you can do them, you graduate. The instructors grade you based on they syllabus... not if you're Guard or not.

Yes Guard and Reserve units are usually competitive. After all, they interview and want to bring in people that will fit in well. Some are way more competitive than others due to location and/or mission.
Is UPT attrition almost non-existent like Chuck said? That's more what I was getting at.

HuggyU2

None
Is UPT attrition almost non-existent like Chuck said? That's more what I was getting at.
It's irrelevant... since it should not affect your decision on what you do. Do go there scared... just go there prepared, and do your best.

And the attrition rate will change: When I was a FAIP (e.g. SERGRAD), I saw the attrition rate go from 35+% to nearly non-existent over the course of 3 years.

Needs of the Air Force.
Needs of the Navy.

My kid just got Winged... there was 1 (maybe 2) washouts from the class. So low as of July.

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
It's irrelevant... since it should not affect your decision on what you do. Do go there scared... just go there prepared, and do your best.

And the attrition rate will change: When I was a FAIP (e.g. SERGRAD), I saw the attrition rate go from 35+% to nearly non-existent over the course of 3 years.

Needs of the Air Force.
Needs of the Navy.

My kid just got Winged... there was 1 (maybe 2) washouts from the class. So low as of July.
Makes sense. I found the "almost non-existent" to be pretty sweeping, but my only experience was orange and white land.

HuggyU2

None
The AF needs pilots. And they have massively cut the syllabus to make it happen.
My kid graduated with 65 hours in the T-6 and 72 hours in the T-1 during the 52 week AF UPT course.

That's a major cut as compared to what I expected.

I'd like to hear what the Navy gets their SNA's during pilot training.

Although there are some very innovative ideas which will eventually pan out... I'm not pleased with the quality of UPT based on what I heard over the past year. Certainly, it's my bias, having been an UPT instructor pilot, as well as the fact it's my kid going through. But that's my personal take.

Last edited:

OscarMyers

None
If you have a four-year degree and a private pilot certificate and are otherwise healthy and qualified, you would be crazy not to go to the Air Guard or Reserve as your first choice....
How about soon to be (in 3 years) retired test NFOs?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Makes sense. I found the "almost non-existent" to be pretty sweeping, but my only experience was orange and white land.

We have plenty of Intel Officers who failed out of UPT in our state.

For what I know the Guard Mafia in UPT is a real thing. Fuck with the Guard Mafia and you're not going to get hired by the Guard (yes, we will ask UPT studs about their IPs who are rushing our unit).

You don't have to be the best, you just have to get the grades required to fly the airplane your unit flies. We'll also bend over backwards to support our guys. Dude gets airsick? Send him MQ-9s. Dude has no business employing ordnance? We have a tanker squadron. Dude can't figure out how to flare airplanes, Intel needs good officers. BTW- our intel Chief (an E-9) owns a Yak, a T-34b, is a partner in an L-39, and is a member of the Red Star Pilots Association. That means our Enlisted Intel E-9 is a better pilot than at least half of our officers.

Only in the Guard....