• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Force v.s. Navy Culture Differences

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
That memo sounds like warrior cosplay. A near-satire of a call to arms. Hard and fast predictions about if/when we go to war with China, particularly with actual years, is a risky gambit that can make you look pretty silly in the future.

What should one expect from a service that thinks that what makes a good commander is the creation of a lactation room in every office building; that what makes a good NCO is buying and cooking lunch for their Airmen? Spending money to buy votes... ?.

The majority of the Air Force is completely out of touch when it comes to what good NCOs and Officers do- man, train, and equip their units for success in combat.

HuggyU2

None
I don't know Minihan but he has respect from those I respect.

I certainly won't trash him based on articles from the MSM.

I'm told he listens to anyone with competence without regard to rank, and is willing to take chances for the sake of innovation. In this day and age, I'm accepting of mistakes by leaders who are trying to find a better way forward... rather than the status quo that has become the norm.

And I'm not discounting Swanee's opinions. We have a lot of issues that are not good.

Last edited:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What should one expect from a service that thinks that what makes a good commander is the creation of a lactation room in every office building . . .

The majority of the Air Force is completely out of touch when it comes to what good NCOs and Officers do- man, train, and equip their units for success in combat.
Explain to me how ensuring your female troops can take care of their biological needs outside a shitter stall somehow detracts from combat effectiveness. These are not things that are in opposition to each other in anything other than the most dudebro of minds.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I guess there’s irony to be found in telling the Air Force MAJCOM most like the airlines that they need to develop a warrior mindset, much less to engage with a ‘clip’.
Let's also observe that you don't "aim at the head" with a pistol, you aim center of mass. And if you can't hit something with said pistol at 7 meters, you fucking suck out loud.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Explain to me how ensuring your female troops can take care of their biological needs outside a shitter stall somehow detracts from combat effectiveness. These are not things that are in opposition to each other in anything other than the most dudebro of minds.

Perhaps I came off wrong. Meeting the basic needs of your force is expected and doesn't deserve a PR campaign of self applause.

What is AMC doing to fix broken airplanes and shrinking pilot hour budgets (our sister squadron across the state went from 2400 hours a year to 1400 hours a year for 38 pilots) and a pilot shortage? Those man, train, and equip items they aren't talking about.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I know Swanee expanded his comment, but... Does an operational squadron need a lactation room? I'd argue no, because the mom would have been transferred to the RAG or the Wing, both of which have those rooms.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The people that have needed a room in our squadron have all been civilians.

Wait a minute, you managed to bring the thread back on track. How dare you!

This does seem to be a difference between the services. Civilians just don't seem to be a regular thing for operational Navy squadrons. Typically the RAGs will have them, but the operational side won't (with the exception of VP's weird Mx setup).

I can't speak to the civilian Mx requirements, but on the uniform side, I always saw female maintainers get pulled off the aircraft and flight line once they came forward as saying they were pregnant. The intent initially was to minimize risk to the child (falling, chemicals, etc).

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor

This does seem to be a difference between the services. Civilians just don't seem to be a regular thing for operational Navy squadrons. Typically the RAGs will have them, but the operational side won't (with the exception of VP's weird Mx setup).

I can't speak to the civilian Mx requirements, but on the uniform side, I always saw female maintainers get pulled off the aircraft and flight line once they came forward as saying they were pregnant. The intent initially was to minimize risk to the child (falling, chemicals, etc).
In the tanker pregnant pilots could fly during the first trimester for sure, possibly into the second for a bit.

As for civilians, when I switched it took me by surprise how many were in the squadrons. With the deployment construct the AF uses they are needed.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot

AF is even using CIV in Vice Commander roles and in ops for wings/squadrons as a way to maintain long term continuity. Typically retired O-5/O-6's.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
AF is even using CIV in Vice Commander roles and in ops for wings/squadrons as a way to maintain long term continuity. Typically retired O-5/O-6's.

That can also cause some serious issues. I deal with a unit who's deployability suffered because of one particular commander, he retired but returned in ~3 month as a civilian and then continued to exert a significant and detrimental amount of influence over the command. We were trying to figure out how exactly he had swung that but it was not a good thing at all for that command or the platform.