• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Force to Navy

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
I am just trying to find out all of my options, the only thing with the guard and reserves is my time in the air frame (less than 150 hours) most fo them need ACs with more exp.

There is a minimum flight time requirement, but it does not exist if you were were trained by the AF. Any other service doing an IST has to have 400 hrs, check here http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/shared/media/epubs/afi11-402.pdf, chapter 2 should cover it. Not sure about reserves, but pretty sure that reg covers all transfers to the guard.

Ziploc158

So by reading that, If I go to the ANG or USAFR my 400 primary hour restriction would be waived. If I tried for the Navy Reserves or Active Duty Navy I would need that 400 hours of primary?

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
So by reading that, If I go to the ANG or USAFR my 400 primary hour restriction would be waived. If I tried for the Navy Reserves or Active Duty Navy I would need that 400 hours of primary?

I cannot say going from AF -> USN what the req's are for flight time if any, you would need to talk to someone at BUPERS or a recruiter. As for the ANG, yes, if you went through flight school with the AF you do not have a minimum flight time. That requirement is for folks who were trained and winged in other services. Also, that is 400 TT not T/M/S.

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
A better question would be, has it been done recently. As always, the needs of each respective service dictate.

Fact. That is why I mentioned approaching ANG squadrons, unless your looking for A-10's you will probably have pretty good luck finding more than one unit looking for dudes, and low hanging fruit with quals and current in T/M/S would be highly desired I'm sure.

Ziploc158

I'm doing all of the above, I'm talking to a few guard units now but there is a Navy Reserve Unit in Jacksonville that has Hercs (or so the internet tells me that they are still there) and that is pretty close to where I am from.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm doing all of the above, I'm talking to a few guard units now but there is a Navy Reserve Unit in Jacksonville that has Hercs (or so the internet tells me that they are still there) and that is pretty close to where I am from.

Something to understand with the Navy Reserves (and other Reserves, I'm sure) is that it's "Junior most Qualified." You've got the Junior part in the bag, but IF the squadron has other SELRES (or TAR, even) knocking on the door that already have > 500 hours in a plane that has a name that starts with C or P and has been an AC (or whatever you call it), you may have stiff competition. As others have said, you won't know unless you try. I'm guessing TAR (FTS) isn't an option for you, but if you affiliated and rushed VR-62 as a SELRES, and then got picked up, it would be your best angle. Then, if you desire, you could apply for FTS and get back on active-duty.

Ziploc158

Sorry I'm not too familiar with some of these acronyms. (TAR, FTS, I'm assuming SELRES is select reserves?). Right now I am a co-pilot, and about 300 hours short of becoming an AC. So I'm guessing it would be a good thing for some units. I know in the AF reserves the hire people right off the street, not sure if the Navy does this, but to them I would be a free pilot. The unit does not have to take a gamble on me whether or not I'm going to make it through UPT or get Med DQ'd.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Sorry I'm not too familiar with some of these acronyms. (TAR, FTS, I'm assuming SELRES is select reserves?). Right now I am a co-pilot, and about 300 hours short of becoming an AC. So I'm guessing it would be a good thing for some units. I know in the AF reserves the hire people right off the street, not sure if the Navy does this, but to them I would be a free pilot. The unit does not have to take a gamble on me whether or not I'm going to make it through UPT or get Med DQ'd.

TAR is the Title 10, U.S. Code name for what the Navy calls "FTS." Other services call it something different. It's full-time active duty (retire at 20) that supports the Reserve side of the Navy. You are correct on SELRES.

The Navy doesn't work as you describe for the AF. For SELRES, it's not just a "free pilot," as there are a fixed number of billets the unit will have and depending on how popular the unit is with the number of applicants, the unit can choose to be picky. There are other units that have a very low application rate (or maybe a better way to put it is low selection rate) because of limitations of the unit. VR-51 in K-Bay is a perfect example. They have lots of open slots because they want their pilots to be local.

For FTS/TAR, you first have to be selected by the Navy, which can vary between competitive to not so much, depending on that board. When you go to the board, you get picked up for community (in your case, that would be VR) which then also gets you selected for FTS. Again, there's a fixed number of billets each unit has, as well as an overall FTS end-strength for the Navy. I'm not smart enough to know if you could apply from outside the Navy, though. Maybe Jim123 or one of the other FTS bubbas knows.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I'm not smart enough to know if you could apply from outside the Navy, though. Maybe Jim123 or one of the other FTS bubbas knows.

I'm pretty sure you need to be at least in the Navy Reserves to apply for FTS (the webpage on NPC/BUPERS says "ready reserve," to include VTU), although the MILPERSMAN would have the most correct answer. People from other services can apply to the Navy Reserve, get picked up as a SELRES, and then apply to FTS from there (this definitely happens, just not very often).

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm pretty sure you need to be at least in the Navy Reserves to apply for FTS (the webpage on NPC/BUPERS says "ready reserve," to include VTU), although the MILPERSMAN would have the most correct answer. People from other services can apply to the Navy Reserve, get picked up as a SELRES, and then apply to FTS from there (this definitely happens, just not very often).

I wasn't in the Navy Reserves when I applied (and I'm guessing you weren't either). But I think I know what you mean.