• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Force to Navy

Ishboo

Hey everyone,

So i was hoping that someone could help me out with this. So i am no longer PQ (pilot qualified) in the AF, but i still am in the Navy/Marines. I would like to try and transfer my commission, however i have a bit of a hold up...I am currently set to commission out of AFROTC this May, and already have my first assignment. Its looking like i wont be able to transfer before my commissioning date, but dose anyone have any idea how to put in for a pilot slot in the Navy after i go active? Any help would be great, thanks!

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
You would have to put in a conditional release.. Good luck getting that signed after being active duty.. You prob should talk to a Naval recruiter and fast because I don't think you can just transfer like that. If you were able to cross over, you would probably have to be accepted through one of the boards.. Did you even take your ASTB yet?

BTW, if you don't mind sharing, why are you DQ from PQ..

81montedriver

pilot
Hey everyone,

So i was hoping that someone could help me out with this. So i am no longer PQ (pilot qualified) in the AF, but i still am in the Navy/Marines. I would like to try and transfer my commission, however i have a bit of a hold up...I am currently set to commission out of AFROTC this May, and already have my first assignment. Its looking like i wont be able to transfer before my commissioning date, but dose anyone have any idea how to put in for a pilot slot in the Navy after i go active? Any help would be great, thanks!

Were you trying to say that you are still interested in the Navy/Marines? And being no longer pilot qualified, does this mean you were medically disqualified or was it for other reasons?

Also, if you are not aware, the Marine Corps and Navy have TOO many aviators at the moment as well as TOO many students waiting to start flight school. If you were already turned down from the AF for a flight spot, there is a good chance it could happen in the Navy too since they really aren't in a hurry to hire a whole new wave of flight students, especially one already turned down from another service.

It never hurts to try though, you could be the guy in a couple of years who made it and is giving someone else hope in a similar situation.

Ishboo

Hey, yup i took my ASTB a while ago, scored pretty well, cant remember what they are off the top of my head. I an DQ because the AF has a new color vision test as of last year, i checked into it with a few flight docs, and im still good in all the other services.

Ziploc158

I am currently a C-130 pilot on Active Duty in the Air Force, I was wondering if it is possible to do an inter-service transfer to the Navy. If that is possible, what are the chances of me still being able to fly?

81montedriver

pilot
I am currently a C-130 pilot on Active Duty in the Air Force, I was wondering if it is possible to do an inter-service transfer to the Navy. If that is possible, what are the chances of me still being able to fly?
Anything is possible if you apply. He long have you been in? Copilot or aircraft commander? The only Navy guys that fly Hercs are reserve VR squadrons which are typically comprised of guys who have already fulfilled an AD contract.

From the Marine side, we have a fair amount of transitions from other platforms but never heard of a prior AF or Navy guy. I'm sure any of the Navy guys can offer better insight.

Ziploc158

Currently I am a co-pilot who hasn't even been out of the school house for a year. Due to cutbacks and the Air Force down sizing they decided to cut the CGOs by not promoting O-2s to O-3s, so it is very possible that I will be looking for a new job here very shortly

MasterBates

O-4 used to be "no dui, no adverse fitreps, this way to your lobotomy sir!" as well. The times are a changin. Until they change back.

A common saying from a Mean 'ole Ha'ole Man comes to mind,..

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
Has anyone everr heard of anyone doing this?

If I were you I would start looking within AFRES or a state ANG. IST's are a long and painful process. I cannot speak going from AD to AD in another service, but the reserve side is painful, especially between the USN and AF (at least my experience is). Your best shot is going to be with a ANG or reserve squadron, especially if you find one that flies your current ride. You may even luck out and not have to go through any training if you are currently qual'd in T/M/S vs. going back through RTU for a refresher of some sorts.

Ziploc158

I am just trying to find out all of my options, the only thing with the guard and reserves is my time in the air frame (less than 150 hours) most fo them need ACs with more exp.