• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Force to Navy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavisFlight

Hello,
I'm new on this forum so excuse me if these questions are simple in anyway. I've searched this topic on here and haven't found a real good answer to it. Basically, my story is I got a pilot slot out of AFROTC and later lost it because I washed out of IFS. I could stay in the Air Force but I really want to fly.
My question is what all would I have to go through for me to get this slot again in the Navy. I'm not sure if I would have to go through OCS since I am already an Officer but I would imagine so since everything is a lot different between the two services.I plan on getting my PPL in the next few months and hopefully my IR to stay competitive. Also, I've heard that if you do have your PPL it looks better and you go straight to pilot training instead of going through a repeat of IFS.I could list my stats a bit but none of it really transfers except for my PT score and CGPA.
Any information would help I'm looking to make an informed decision. Obviously, I could stay in the Air Force and continue serving my country but I don't want to give up on a dream before I've review my options.
Thank you
Davis

Moderators please move this to "questions about becoming a naval officer".

UMichfly

pilot
None
WTF? IFS is basically pass/fail. More details....

I don't want to speak for the OP but his situation might be a little more unique given the added gheyness that comes along with Air Force IFS. From what I've heard, the AF stacks on the standard extra 3 layers of BS on IFS that they do with everything else. On the other hand...home boy might just suck. Just giving him the benefit of the doubt...and taking every opportunity I can to bash our sisters in blue. :D

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You will have to go through Navy OCS.

First off, you're wrong. There are plenty of USN officers whp came over from USAF and they didn't have to go through OCS. You're spreading bad gouge. Stay in your lane.

To the OP, I'm 99% sure that washing out from any military pilot training program is DQ for USN.

DavisFlight

Thank you for all the input. For the details on IFS I was actually 3 rides away from finishing and basically had a flight I should of called off. To make a long story full of reasons why I washed short. I went into a bad situation and tried to salvage it with 0 hours as a pilot 90 degree weather and 12 kts crosswind with a 15 kts crosswind limit dual.
Obviously, I understand that IFS is nothing compared to UPT but I just took a bad ride when I should have turned it down. I can fly "Fair" enough to pass the program which is actually what I was told.And with a PPL I'm sure it would be excellent across the board. I just made a bad decision and tried to push forward when I really should have called it off and did it the next day.I was actually reccommended for another rated position which is very uncommon so that in itself tells you I didn't just suck.

But from what I've read you can actually switch to another service but I'm not sure which is why I'm consulting you all. I really have very limited information and I want to get the most I can before I go and talk to a recruiter so that I have the information I need to talk to him without a question interrupting him every 2 seconds.

81montedriver

pilot
The Airforce has their IFS set up to mimic UPT training. So aside from the flying, they also include the morning brief and stand up and are required to stay there for 12 hours and study just like UPT. For those of you unaware stand up is their method of doing EP's. Yes it is more difficult than the USMC/Navy IFS because of all the extra stuff but once they hit UPT, instructors already have that expectation from in flight school and don't have to teach that shit.

I have to side with 60flyer though, if you can't make it through IFS how the hell are you going to make it through flight school? If you can't fly the Diamond, there is no way you will be able to handle the T-6.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
http://www.npc.navy.mil/NR/rdonlyres/06212EE7-64F9-4C49-BE35-2C7A84ED1472/0/1542010.pdf

3. Service Criteria for Consideration. The following servicerelated
criteria must be met in order to be considered by the
board:
a. Applicants must hold a commission as ensign or above, or
be in training as an officer candidate leading to a commission
as ensign, in the line of the Regular Navy or the Navy Reserve,
and not presently in the aviation (13XX) community.
b. Applicants for pilot training must not have been
previously separated from any flight training program of the
Army, Navy, or Air Force, except by reason of being temporarily
physically disqualified.

DavisFlight

http://www.npc.navy.mil/NR/rdonlyres/06212EE7-64F9-4C49-BE35-2C7A84ED1472/0/1542010.pdf

3. Service Criteria for Consideration. The following servicerelated
criteria must be met in order to be considered by the
board:
a. Applicants must hold a commission as ensign or above, or
be in training as an officer candidate leading to a commission
as ensign, in the line of the Regular Navy or the Navy Reserve,
and not presently in the aviation (13XX) community.
b. Applicants for pilot training must not have been
previously separated from any flight training program of the
Army, Navy, or Air Force, except by reason of being temporarily
physically disqualified.

Understood. Thank you all for the information. I've searched this and for some reason couldn't find the right requirements. Also, we used to be able to go from blue to green if you washed out of IFS or UPT and follow-up in their aviation program but that's changed.

Anyhow, once again thank you for the information.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I will say this though:I'd finish off your PPL, but would NOT get your Instrument rating. Flying, like anything else, is extremely susceptible to bad habits. The OCS board knows this, and they understand full well that too much flight training can be a detriment in the long run. Sure, get a couple lessons under the hood, but A) I wouldn't even think about getting your instrument rating just because you think it will help your package (because it may not) and B)I wouldn't get that rating because it's an extra 10Gs that's just gonna get paid for by the Navy anyways. Oh, and on top of everything, keeping instrument-current is a completely different story/pain in the bottom.

Very bad gouge. Go to Navy flight school, get your wings, then come back and tell us how it is.

DavisFlight

Very bad gouge. Go to Navy flight school, get your wings, then come back and tell us how it is.

Whats bad gouge? The don't get your IR?
Well I just got some interesting information. This is from a Chief [Moderator Edit] from a Louisiana naval recruiting office. He tells me that I can cross over and become an aviator in the Navy. I told him about the reg and he said no it is possible.

However, now I've come up with another obstacle which is the gpa. I graduated with a 3.1 GPA and he said to be competitive at all you have to have at least a 3.4.
Someone please tell me if this is true. I'm getting a lot of conflicting information so now it's unclear of what is and isn't possible.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Whats bad gouge? The don't get your IR?
Well I just got some interesting information. This is from a Chief Chambers from a Louisiana naval recruiting office. He tells me that I can cross over and become an aviator in the Navy. I told him about the reg and he said no it is possible.

I'm curious how the Chief plans on getting around that reg. Regardless, you're trying to interservice transfer into a highly sought-after speciality with a serious blemish on your military record in regard to aptitude in that field. You'll never know if you don't try, but keep in mind that the likelihood of acceptance (if you get around the reg) is slim due to the level of quality your competition is bringing to the table. There are plenty of folks with excellent records and no history of attrition from flight school who are also trying to come over.

DavisFlight

I definetely understand that. I by no means thought it was going to be easy. Just wanted to know if it's possible and what I would have to do. But I understand the competition is just as stiff as it was when I went through except now I do have that negative factor. I'm hoping to alleviate that doubt by getting actual hours. Although, I would naive to think I'm the only one with hours.
As long as I know It's possible I can jump through the hoops and get the slot. I don't mind the challenge at all. But I'll ask around for the reg. I saw it was dated in 2005 which isn't that far off when discussing regs but maybe there has been a change. I know there has been in the Air Force.
Anyway I really appreciate the information. If you have anything else to let me know I would highly appreciate it. This site has definetely been very helpful.

Davis

Status
Not open for further replies.