• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Force guy awaiting API

Status
Not open for further replies.

Av Fan

I just commissioned in May and my orders state I will be attending UPT at Whiting Field but there was no date. Also I havent finished IFT (the program we have to get our private certificate) yet. Does being in the Air Force matter as far as wait time to get a class? What would be a good guess as to when I would class up. Thanks for the help.

Victory favors the bold

stevew

Air Force guy on Air Warriors?
yuck_125.gif
Is that allowed? Are we even allowed to ansewer Air Force questions on this site?
grumpy_125.gif

......J/K,
slaphappy_125.gif

Welcome to our forum hopefully you will find it as useful as the rest of us.
smgreen_125.gif

jump2reflection_125.gif

And never forget..... Fly Navy!!
icon_smile.gif

Av Fan

Yeah, I heard you squids dont play well with others. J/K
I dont have a choice, I have to fly Navy. Cant argue with orders.

Victory favors the bold

ghost_ttu

Steve STAND DOWN!!! Welcome Av. It's good to see some blue in this place! I'm going up on my 2nd OTS board and should hear something in July. I have been accepted to grad school and AFROTC as my back up plan. Do me a favor and keep in touch with the board, or atleast with me with your experience and opinion of Whiting. I'm curious how the 38 turnout comes out of that joint these days. There is a WEALTH of knowledge on this board about API, and Primary, so read read read, prior to getting there.

Eliminate distractions, focus on your goals and visualize what you hope to accomplish.

Av Fan

Ive been reading it for a while. Its a good site. We do need more blue here though. Im trying to keep an open mind about flying with the Navy. I guess learning some interoperability cant hurt. At the moment I am preparing myself for the PRT. Thats why I asked my original question, so I know how much time I have. Ill keep in touch though. Later

P.S
What the heck is a Yeoman?

Thanks

Victory favors the bold

Dunedan

Picture Clean!
None
You know...I've prior E time in the USAF, and upon coming onboard with the Navy, one of my very first questions was "what the heck is a yeoman?"

I'm still a little vague on the whole thing...some kind of admin type...

Good luck, Av. Please keep us posted on your USAF/Navy experience! I'd love to hear a good compare/contrast between the two from someone whose been in both worlds...

-Anthony

Ummm...yeah

HighFlyer55

AV Fan what are the possible choices primary choice for AF guys? I know Vance is one of them but what are the others? Also what are you looking fly and was flying with the Navy your last choice?
Best of luck

Av Fan

Right now Im thinking about C-130s and if I get it I will go to Corpus and fly T-44s. For everything else I will go to Vance. They have a course at Vance to give us practice doing standup EPs, since the Navy doesnt do them but the Air Force does. So we are basically treated like we are Navy anyways. Navy was my second choice, behind Laughlin AFB. I guess Im a bit scared to train with the Navy because I will be missing the stand-up practice and I have never really "swam" before. I can swim, just not the Navy way.

Victory favors the bold

Jaxs170

www.YANKEESSUCK.com
Scared to swim the mile, eh? Luckily for you, if I remember correctly when I went through API the AF pilots didn't have to do any of the swim events, though I believe the AF FOs did have to swim with us. Why this is the case, no idea, and as with everything this could have changed so you probably want to double check first before taking the floaties off
snorkel_125.gif

Vic

Your MOM!
pilot
You are worried about the stand-ups? We do the real thing down here!

Don't sweat the small stuff!

JayManC

YN is basically a secretarial rate but it is used more or less to describe just about anything.
Usually though when dealing with personnel, you will find YNs work with the enlisteds and PNs (Personnelmen) work with the officers, if I remember correctly I believe JW was a prior YN on subs (in another life)!
J

<insert something witty here:>

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
When I went through API last winter, none of the air force had to swim with us. I don't know if that applied to the FO's or not though. If they do, maybe it's because they (NFOs) will fly over the water more down at Sherman?

Rainman

pilot
Originally posted by HighFlyer55
AV Fan what are the possible choices primary choice for AF guys? I know Vance is one of them but what are the others? Also what are you looking fly and was flying with the Navy your last choice?
Best of luck
For primary there is no choice. Air Force pilots (that got sent to Pensacola) go to VT3 @ NASWF. 40% or so of instructors there are Air Force and there always seems to be some VERY high AF NSS scores . . Seem to have so many T38 slots per month of quarter or whatever for those VT3 Air Force guys.

Speaking of T38s . a bird has been @ Meridian for like two weeks. Had to have both engines replaced due to hail damage. I've never seen so many "Fly Navy" stickers on a single airframe. If they don't get it out soon it may get painted orange and white.

Av Fan

Is it true there is a better chance of getting a T-44 slot while I am at Whiting than if I was at a regular Air Force training base. Is the T-44 a pretty sought after slot?

Victory favors the bold

wjgeorge

Having just about completed API (2 days left) and just about to move to Whiting, I can answer a few questions.

I am Air Force and am going to Whiting as I am a pilot selectee. During API only the AF Navigators (FO's) have to do anything dealing with water. I got the day off whenever there was any swimming, dunking, drowning, etc. I was told this was because I have to come back to Pensacola after I get my wings to go through AF water survival. Also, I think they make the Nav's do this because they will stay on at Pensacola and do alot of flying over water.

As for other stuff. Once you get to Pensacola you will start class in a couple weeks. They don't make the AF dudes sit around and wait for class. The transition to Whiting is quick as well. I finish API on Friday and start class at Whiting on Monday.

If you have any other questions, email me.
bill@billandtina.com

Bill

2Lt. William J. George

Status
Not open for further replies.