• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Force coach: black players "can run very, very well"

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Unless those black kids in your family imigrated from Africa, they really can't claim to be African-American in my opinion. If you were born here, you're American, end of story.

It just illustrates how ridiculous the label African-American really is.

MarineAir

Future Naval Aviator
The problem with the term African-American is that America uses it to encompass all blacks, which isn't the case. Call a Jamaican or a Hatian "African-American" and you are liable to get hit.
Wow! that's the first time I've heard of that one. Not to say you're wrong, I just haven' t run across any Jamaican or Haitian who gets offended if referred to as African-American. Maybe the Jamaicans and Haitians I know from my old stomping ground in Boston are a different breed. I'm African(was actually born there) and now an American. I've also been called a true african-american if you take the word literally. Personally, I don't care what I'm called. Black, African-American or anything else. I guess I'm just different but labels don't faze me;negative or not. Everyone has the right to say what they want. If I don't like it, I have the right to ignore to them.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wow! that's the first time I'm heard of that one. Not to say you're wrong, I just haven' t run across any Jamaican or Haitian who doesn't refer to themselves as African-American. I'm African(was actually born there) and now an American. I've also been called a true african-american if you take the word literally. Personally, I don't care what I'm called. Black, African-American or anything else. I guess I'm just different but labels don't faze me;negative or not. Everyone has the right to say what they want. If I don't like it, I have the right to ignore to them.

Thank you.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Wow! that's the first time I'm heard of that one. Not to say you're wrong, I just haven' t run across any Jamaican or Haitian who doesn't refer to themselves as African-American.

I went to high school and played soccer w/ alot of Hatians and Jamaicans (actually born in Jamaica or Hati) and the hated it when they were referred to as "African American". I actually saw one of my Jamaican teammates hit a kid for calling him African American.

Maybe its not an all around thing, but at my high school, that's the way it was. You call someone something other than what he is, you were liable to get hit.