• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air America -- flying the unfriendly skies with the Company

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
I thought this was about the real Air America - the CIA's Air America. Now that was a go-anywhere, go-anytime group that got the job done. But, then I also thought the recent thread called "Whale Wars" was about A-3's. That's what age does to you!

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
I thought this was about the real Air America - the CIA's Air America. Now that was a go-anywhere, go-anytime group that got the job done. But, then I also thought the recent thread called "Whale Wars" was about A-3's. That's what age does to you!

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I'm not even old and that's what I thought this thread was about. Now I'm just really hoping it turns into one about it.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
CIA Air Operations in Laos, 1955-1974.... A.K.A., Air America

airamerica.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
+ Ditto ...

That's not what 'age' does to you ... that's what REALITY does FOR you, Bruddah ... !!! :D

blackbart22

pilot
Toward the end of my second cruise in '63, a sweetiepie in a bar in Kowloon, upon learning that I was an AD driver (abeit 5Ws) said that she could get me a flying job making three times what I was making as a JG. She also said that I could live in Hong Kong and spend all this cash on her. It was interesting, but sounded fishy, so I didn't get any more particulars. That picture may expain what she was suggesting. And no, it wasn't the Waltzing Matilda Bar and the girl wasn't Hot Pants Molly Malone

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Toward the end of my second cruise in '63, a sweetiepie in a bar in Kowloon, upon learning that I was an AD driver (abeit 5Ws) said that she could get me a flying job making three times what I was making as a JG. She also said that I could live in Hong Kong and spend all this cash on her. It was interesting, but sounded fishy, so I didn't get any more particulars. That picture may expain what she was suggesting. And no, it wasn't the Waltzing Matilda Bar and the girl wasn't Hot Pants Molly Malone

She may have been right. I'm told Air America guys got to spend months of R&R in Hong Kong and were paid big bucks in gold (6 months on and 6 months off? Does anyone here know if that is true?) But they did have a high 'mort' rate that precluded subsequent R&R.

I don't know if they were really paid in gold, but they all had gold. A lot of gold! You could go into Bricks restaurant in Bangkok and spot them right away.... they had massive "hamburger bracelets" of a lot of pure, heavy gold, and more other extra gold bling than Mr. T.

I once applied, but they didn't want me. They wanted prop/helo guys and old guys. Young Navy fighter pilots needed not apply. It was a tight club. But their missions were incredible and mostly still unkown.

Makk85

604KTS
pilot
I had the opportunity to interview an Air America pilot for a Vietnam War history class I took in college that was added to an archive of interviews at the Smithsonian. He was one of the consultants for the producers of the movie Air America. He said while there was a fair share of Hollywood mixed with the movie, it was mostly accurate, specifically how they would act completely bonkers around the new pilots by playing with coloring books and talking like they couldn't wait to die, just to see how the FNGs would react.

This guy was also one of the chief instructors for Air America and had a lot of fun fvcking with the guys on their checkrides to see how they would handle stress. He would light off fireworks and set small fires in the cockpit during guy?s checkrides to see how they would handle it, he would even hit the students with a club. Only about 15%-20% of pilots would actually make it through the training without quitting or getting dropped.

Those pilots had to have a large golden set of manhood between their legs to do what they did, or to even get through the first day of training.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... consultants for the producers of the movie Air America ....... Hollywood mixed with the movie, it was mostly accurate....Only about 15%-20% of pilots would actually make it through the training....
... right.

I see that Hollywood and B.S.'ers still have the capacity to spin their magic and influence young skulls full of cottage cheese ...
:sleep_125
Those pilots had to have a large golden set of manhood between their legs to do what they did, or to even get through the first day of training.
... right.

You mean ... like the other thousands of Navy, Marine, Air Force, and Army pilots of the era in theater didn't .... (and not da' Hollywood 'kine theater) ... ??? :sleep_125

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks A4s...

:scared_12
You mean ... like the other thousands of Navy, Marine, Air Force, and Army pilots of the era in theater didn't .... (and not da' Hollywood 'kine theater) ... ??? :sleep_125

Sure glad someone stickin' up for us'n po' Yankee Air Pirates (YAPS) of yore! My hat was always off to our Air America bros...HOWEVER; they never had to "look forward" to a blackass night trap on a pitchin' rollin' 600' runway after a night mission.:scared_12:splat_125
BzB

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
:scared_12

Sure glad someone stickin' up for us'n po' Yankee Air Pirates (YAPS) of yore! My hat was always off to our Air America bros...HOWEVER; they never had to "look forward" to a blackass night trap on a pitchin' rollin' 600' runway after a night mission.:scared_12:splat_125
BzB
+1

yapz.jpg

voodooqueen

DAR Lapsarian
... right.

I see that Hollywood and B.S.'ers still have the capacity to spin their magic and influence young skulls full of cottage cheese ...
:sleep_125
... right.

Are golden ones better than platinum ones? Do you measure those things in carots?