• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aimpoint or EoTech?

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I haven't seen anyone mention anything about co-witnessing. While it's not exactly ideal with something like the USMC issue ACOG (4x32, if i remember correctly?), it works well with things like the EOTech. It works well.

I would like to add that I put all my Marines to shame on the range two weeks ago. They were shooting with said ACOG, while I had a ghetto M16A2 with iron sights. 50/50 on our Table III* shoot.

*--Table III is a recent (last few years) requirement for all Marines, which includes engaging a target while stationary, pivoting and walking, all with hammer (2 shots, 1 sight picture) and controlled (2 shots, 2 sight pictures). It's more fun than anything, to be honest, but it's now a qualification requirement.

utak

Currently, I have a set of CSAT combat sights installed in my carrying handle. Zissou here highly recommended them and even got their developer, Paul Howe, to come here and chime about it here. They are just as advertised. Aim and zero just like a pistol close up, and reliable 100 yd zero from there.

First things first though, optics is kinda in the back burner, I'm looking into a free floating rail, something lightweight that I can install to replace my regular M4 handguards without need to modify the weapon or remove the D-ring, and can switch back to it vice versa if I feel like it at times (that way, can switch between traditional style to uber-cool style and back). The Daniel Defense Omega 7.0 rail is the closest one, but it's not fit for piston AR-15s now and their piston version is still unreleased. And there's no others that can accommodate a piston either.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Currently, I have a set of CSAT combat sights installed in my carrying handle. Zissou here highly recommended them and even got their developer, Paul Howe, to come here and chime about it here. They are just as advertised. Aim and zero just like a pistol close up, and reliable 100 yd zero from there.

First things first though, optics is kinda in the back burner, I'm looking into a free floating rail, something lightweight that I can install to replace my regular M4 handguards without need to modify the weapon or remove the D-ring, and can switch back to it vice versa if I feel like it at times (that way, can switch between traditional style to uber-cool style and back). The Daniel Defense Omega 7.0 rail is the closest one, but it's not fit for piston AR-15s now and their piston version is still unreleased. And there's no others that can accommodate a piston either.
Just a thought; the Magpul MOE handguards can have rails mounted on them and are much cheaper than a 4-rail handguard would be.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I know they are tough but what if the ACOG was broken?

I use a BUIS when I mount an Aimpoint or EOtech.

I guess it's a moot point with the ACOG because in my experience there just isn't room to mount a BUIS and still be within the usable eye relief.

I guess they do break now and then but it must not happen very often. I knew they were tough but I never knew just how tough until my son showed me something he learned in Iraq. If you ever have to adjust the windage on an ACOG all the way to one side or the other it is possible to go a click or so too far. It can get "stuck" there. That happened to me and sure enough I couldn't get it to go back the other way. Cpl Rocketman fixed it for me. He took it off the weapon, wacked it sharply several times on the bench and it was good as new. I swear I think you could use that thing as a hammer.

The ACOG is a fantastic combat sight for the Marine Corps. I think most would agree that the Aimpoint and EOtech are slightly faster up close but IMHO nothing beats an ACOG for all around use.

I'm an iron sight guy too but my eyes just aren't up to it anymore. When you can't get the front sight in focus you can't hit shit.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
I guess they do break now and then but it must not happen very often. I knew they were tough but I never knew just how tough until my son showed me something he learned in Iraq. If you ever have to adjust the windage on an ACOG all the way to one side or the other it is possible to go a click or so too far. It can get "stuck" there. That happened to me and sure enough I couldn't get it to go back the other way. Cpl Rocketman fixed it for me. He took it off the weapon, wacked it sharply several times on the bench and it was good as new. I swear I think you could use that thing as a hammer.

Wow I had no idea they were that tough! I would never dream of doing that to that expensive of an optic wow. How exactly does one aim up close with an ACOG? I have read about how its done so I know it's possible but I figured you would know how to explain it better.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Wow I had no idea they were that tough! I would never dream of doing that to that expensive of an optic wow. How exactly does one aim up close with an ACOG? I have read about how its done so I know it's possible but I figured you would know how to explain it better.

I turned green when he did it too but he just laughed.

I'm no ACOG expert by any means because mostly I shoot an EOtech or Aimpoint. For the kind of shooting I do now they work better and faster for me than an ACOG.

The way I shoot an ACOG up close is to keep both eyes open and concentrate on looking "at" the target and not "thru" the scope. It may take doing it a few times to get used to it but for most people the chevron will just appear to float on the target just like an Aimpoint dot will. ACOG calls it BAC or Bindon Aiming Concept. All of that works great for me but because of the 4 power magnification it takes me longer to get on the target.

If I know I'm going to be shooting one at very short ranges I tape over the front aperture with duct tape. Then it feels more like an unmagnified red dot to me.

utak

If you get an ACOG mounted on your carrying handle, there's a peep hole that will still let you use your iron sights. That's actually pretty tempting.

That being said, I'm not too cool on busting almost 800 bucks for a unmagnified optic that's almost a lb, all to get one little lousy dot. Which was why I was looking into the Micro Aimpoint or the mini EoTech XPS.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
If you get an ACOG mounted on your carrying handle, there's a peep hole that will still let you use your iron sights. That's actually pretty tempting.

That being said, I'm not too cool on busting almost 800 bucks for a unmagnified optic that's almost a lb, all to get one little lousy dot. Which was why I was looking into the Micro Aimpoint or the mini EoTech XPS.

Trijicon also makes an ACOG with integral BUIS.

http://www.botachtactical.com/trijta0.html

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Trijicon also makes an ACOG with integral BUIS.

http://www.botachtactical.com/trijta0.html

Got one on mine (TA01NSN mounted on an LMT M4). Center portion of reticle is amber in low light. BUIS front sight has a tritium dot with a plain ring for the rear sight. I wouldn't dream of competition shooting with it, but it more than does the job for anything too close to use optics. Besides, it's an ACOG, and could probably be used to club someone; and Trijicon customer service is first rate if there's ever an issue with it.