• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Age waiver for 29 yr old SNA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJ1

Hi guys,

I am 29 yrs old and interested in becoming a Naval Aviator like so many others on this site. I have looked on the Navy website and even chatted with a couple of their recruiters online. From the information I was able to gather, it would seem like I am too old for an SNA slot.

However, I did a search on this site and came across a couple of threads where people claim that they were able to get a waiver in light of the fact that they were too old (some were around my age).

I have NEVER served in the military. I hold 2 college degrees and am wondering if some of you guys might be able to present me with my options. If there is one thing I learned in my life, there is always a way around the system.

Might an OSO be able to point me in the right direction? How do I get in touch with an OSO? I realize SNA slots are quite competitive, but there must be a way!

PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks,
MJ

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Age waivers are only granted to persons with prior service.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
Hi guys,

I am 29 yrs old and interested in becoming a Naval Aviator

wow, you decided sort of late in life. try the army. army pilots can be up to 33yo or so when they start. don't wait 4 more yrs though LOL!

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
Not what I wanted to hear, anybody else got any ideas?
Dude, do you want the truth or some BS I pull out of my ass? You already got the truth so let me know if you want the latter .

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
Not what I wanted to hear, anybody else got any ideas?

idea #1 become a naval officer. if you don't turn 30 until after OCS, you could still make it. not aviation though.

idea #2 become a military pilot. army would take you. and if you went army, you could apply to transfer to coast guard too.

dude, you're too old for naval and air force aviation. just face that and choose something else which is possible (army).

MJ1

idea #1 become a naval officer. if you don't turn 30 until after OCS, you could still make it. not aviation though.

Make what? I don't follow you.

idea #2 become a military pilot. army would take you. and if you went army, you could apply to transfer to coast guard too.

dude, you're too old for naval and air force aviation. just face that and choose something else which is possible (army).

Can you fly fighter jets in the Army or Coast Guard?

MJ

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor

MJ

Ok, one of two things is happening here, either a troll, or someone clueless.

Hint #1, there is no sign-up to be a fighter pilot for the military (with one small exception for the reserves as I understand).

Hint #2 You're too old for the Navy I know for certain. Without prior service, which you have said you don't have, the maximum age limit is 27, and unless you're good friends with the SECNAV or someone like that, it ain't happening.

Hint #3 Recently in a study it was found that 42% of the people asking repeated questions after having been given an answer were found to be in denial.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot

MJ

What stopped you from pursuing this dream all along at a younger age when you would have been just fine? I don't think many people (I'm sure there are some) that just "fell" into Naval Aviation. Most people it was their goal.

MJ1

What stopped you from pursuing this dream all along at a younger age when you would have been just fine? I don't think many people (I'm sure there are some) that just "fell" into Naval Aviation. Most people it was their goal.

Well I had this dream ever since high school (after watching Top Gun). I even went down to the the recruiting station my senior year of HS. The recruiter told me that you need a commission to become a pilot so I sorta forgot about it.

Then I went off to college, not once but TWICE! I didn't care much for the financial industry and health care is alright, but not really fulfilling. I want something more...so here I am. I realize the odds are against me, but if I could get in touch with the right person/people maybe my dream could possibly become a reality.

Would it help if I contacted a manager in the aviation department?

http://www.npc.navy.mil/Channels/

BTW, I am not in denial, if this was not meant to be, so be it. At least I know I tried...

MJ

Well I had this dream ever since high school (after watching Top Gun). I even went down to the the recruiting station my senior year of HS. The recruiter told me that you need a commission to become a pilot so I sorta forgot about it.

Then I went off to college, not once but TWICE! I didn't care much for the financial industry and health care is alright, but not really fulfilling. I want something more...so here I am. I realize the odds are against me, but if I could get in touch with the right person/people maybe my dream could possibly become a reality.

Would it help if I contacted a manager in the aviation department?

http://www.npc.navy.mil/Channels/

BTW, I am not in denial, if this was not meant to be, so be it. At least I know I tried...

MJ

Look MJ,

The people in this thread have a lot of knowledge of this subject because the topic has come up in the past and many responses have been written. The fact is that the chances of gaining an age waiver are slim to none. That being said, if you truly want to be the next Maverick (F-18 version), then go for it and try submitting a waiver. The worst that happens is they say no and you know in your heart that you gave it your best effort and you won't regret it later in life.

It seems that you haven't quite found your calling in life, talk to your local recruiter and explore the options the Navy can provide. You might be pleasantly surprised.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c

Then I went off to college, not once but TWICE!

and what? it took you 11yrs to finish college? i still don't get how we get from high school to age 29 without yet applying if it was something you wanted so badly...

what i was saying about OCS is that you can still be an naval officer at your age, just not an aviation officer. but if you want to be military pilot, the army will still take you for a few more years, and from the army, you can also apply for a transfer to the coast guard.

i think jets are pretty much out though when you took 11 yrs to finish college...

Status
Not open for further replies.