• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Age, SNA and OCS, question....

Stretch32

I quick question to anybody who can help me out. I am 26 yrs old right now and will be 27 on Dec 8th. I have applied for SNA, NFO and Supply and would really like to get an SNA slot. I know you must commission by your 27th b-day if you want to be a pilot with no prior service. Is there any leeway to this (I know about non-existant age waivers)? I missed July's board due to slow ASTB results and now must catch the August board. I've heard of people being selected and then starting OCS within a week or two of finding out they were pro-rec'd. I would need an early Sept. OCS date to commission by 27 but does the Navy allow some slack for this? Can you start OCS and then commission a few weeks after your 27th b-day and still fly or do they take b-day into account and just not bother to give you the SNA slot? Anybody that could shed some light on the subject? I know its nearly impossible to get an age waiver so I was trying to see what kind of time I have to still make SNA via board selection only if at all. Thanks again.

Stretch

Stretch32

He didn't really give me a straight yes/no answer. I'm not sure if he isn't sure or if there may in fact be some leeway (needs of the Navy). He said if the board selects you for pilot then you go pilot regardless of your OCS date. That sounds great except that would go against the 27th b-day cut-off for me if I got pro-rec'd and given an OCS start date after early Sept. I guess the board weighs everything in their decision and if your too old to suit them then you don't get selected. I was trying to figure out exactly how strict the Navy is about the whole thing and see if anybody had gone SNA with a commission date after their 27th b-day (no prior service). Maybe a few weeks afterward or otherwise very close to their birthday? I was really trying to see if there was a shot at SNA at this point with time/ age getting short. Thanks again.

Stretch

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Just a heads up, but when you see someone go to OCS quickly after getting Pro-rec'ed they probably had all their final documents in at the time of pro-rec. So if you haven't been to MEPS, or done a PRT, or any of the other stuff, you might want to call your recruiter and schedule that ASAP. My blood tests themselves took 2 weeks to get back from the lab.

cdrsniper

Lovin' life....
Normally the guys that go to OCS shortly after Pro-rec are prior military guys... Our stuff has to be together at the time of submission. So Its just a paperwork shuffle after that.

thull

I can tell you if you're not going to be commissioned by the time you are 27.5 years old, you will need an age waiver. I can also tell you that getting one is next to impossible right now. i missed age cutoff by a couple months, scored 300 pfts, 7/7/6 60 astb, good flight physical, nothing on my record, good school, good recommendations from recruiters etc, but age waiver was NOT granted. it's based on studies that SNAs beyond a certain age have a higher attrition from flight school than the younger folks. i can't tell you about the studies themselves, but that's what they go on, and so when there's plenty of applicants to choose from, they say "who's probably NOT going to make it based on what we know" and those people get cut out of the equation (ie, age waiver applicants, among others..)...that's how they trim it all down. anyway, i'm going Ground now OCC 196 in the Marines...Officer first...Good luck with everything though. maybe you can get an age waiver, who knows, give it a shot..

Stretch32

Just a heads up, but when you see someone go to OCS quickly after getting Pro-rec'ed they probably had all their final documents in at the time of pro-rec. So if you haven't been to MEPS, or done a PRT, or any of the other stuff, you might want to call your recruiter and schedule that ASAP. My blood tests themselves took 2 weeks to get back from the lab.

I'll be finishing up the few little things including PRT in the next week or so. I've already had a physical done. This way everything will be ready to go instantly if I do get picked up. I'm pretty sure the Navy takes everything into consideration so if age is a factor they won't take me as an SNA. Thanks for all the input.

Stretch

xmid

pilot
Contributor
It never hurts to try, the worst they can tell you is no. If you really have a burning desire to fly for the Navy, convey that in your motivational statement. They are taking alot more SNA's right now then they were even a few months ago. Good luck.