• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

After OCS

Holly85

My fiance is leaving for Naval OCS on March 24. He is expected to graduate on June 15. I cannot seem to get a straight answer about what happens after OCS. What happens after graduation? Will he get leave? Our wedding is July 7. Do you think he will be able to make it before he goes to flight training?

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Assuming 3 months for OCS with no delays means graduation in mid June. I don't know what he's going into, but if he's SNFO or SNA I seriously doubt any class within 2 months. I'd think there would be time for a wedding in there somewhere.

pilotpete24

Holly85, congratulations on your wedding and I hope everything goes well for him at OCS so he can make it back in time.. I also have the March 24 OCS date so I'm sure your fiance and I will cross paths.

Heloanjin

pilot
What happens after graduation? Will he get leave? Our wedding is July 7. Do you think he will be able to make it before he goes to flight training?

Following graduation, he will walk across the street and report to API. The first thing he will do there is complete IFS (assuming he doesn't have any civilian flight experience). That should take about 6 weeks if he starts right away. Then he will go through API. Chances are, he will be able to get a little leave for your wedding. Unfortunately, a definitive answer on that won't come until he is at OCS, and may not come until he is done with OCS. Most commands won't promise leave when they know the person requesting leave will transfer before the leave period. However, OCS may be able to coordinate something with API for him.

One major caveat, and this is one you need to become comfortable with right away since you have chosen to become a Navy spouse, he may only get a 2 or 3 day weekend to get married. Don't make any non-refundable deposits for a honeymoon trip.

My personal story. My wedding day was scheduled for 1 1/2 months after the scheduled return from a 6 month deployment. We were crossing the Atlantic on our way home when there was a crisis in Haiti and our battle group was on deck to support US ops well beyond our scheduled homecoming. My squadron was shorthanded and operational tempo was high. My CO promised my fiance (now wife) that I would make the wedding, but couldn't promise any more than that. My plan was to fly from my ship to Puerto Rico on Friday morning and catch a military hop to Jacksonville that afternoon. I had commercial reservations from Jacksonville to Washington DC for Sat morning. Rehersal and dinner Saturday. Wedding Sunday afternoon. Catch a commercial flight back to Jacksonville on Sunday night (after about 1 hour at the reception):eek:. Military hop to Puerto Rico Monday morning to a waiting helo back to the ship.

Extreme example, perhaps. And he's just going through flight school, not going to war. But the Navy may need him to start training without delay. The needs of the Navy take priority. Something you really should be willing to put up with while you are a Navy spouse.

Holly85

Thank you for all of your help. He will be an NFO. My oldest brother is a military pilot, so I know schedules are unpredictable sometimes. I appreciate all the advice!

Rosco33

My fiance is also in the March 24 OCS class...our problem right now is when to set the date for the wedding. We were thinking of having it at the beach the weekend of his graduation from OCS. He has been hearing that after graduation it may be a month or so before API begins. We know that we want to get married before I move with him...where that might be we are unsure. Does anyone have any suggestions as far as when the best time would be. ex: after OCS before API, after API?

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just a caution from an OCS grad. The training is advertised for 12 weeks now. That doesn't mean your loved one will be out of there in 12 weeks. Folks get injured, or rolled back to a later class, etc, so I've seen 13 weeks (used to be that long) turn into 5 months.

Not trying to scare, just telling you what could happen if your fiance gets hurt, etc.

I would be reticent to plan a wedding for OCS graduation weekend.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Does anyone have any suggestions as far as when the best time would be.

How about in 4 years after you've experienced what a 6-8 month cruise is like. Jesus Christ people, what is the rush? Is it time for another one of my lectures on leading mature, responsible lives?

Brett

MasterBates

After, but before cruise.

Biggest. Mistake. Ever.

She could not handle me being gone more than 3-4 weeks without having some sort of neurosis.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
^^ Not compatible with Navy life. IMHO, marriage should wait until after flight school. I know this for a fact. It's not what folks want to hear, but it should be given consideration to waiting.