• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

After Duty Education

Status
Not open for further replies.

PharaelGA18

I've just enlisted into the Marine Corps and I'm leaving in September after I graduate from high school. My Question is how long will it take to get a bachelor's degree in the marines ODED(off-duty education)program. I'll get probably a couple hours of college a day after duty at that rate could I get a B.A. degree in fours years?

Crowbar

None
-What is this "ODED" you speak of? 8.5 years of active duty and it's a new one on me.

-A couple of hours of college a day? Do you know what your Occupational Field will be? Even with as assigned OccField, the subsequent MOS's can vary so that the working environment and hours of one MOS may not resemble any others within that field. For instance, let's take avionics (my field). Within the Avionics OccField, there are an abundance of individual MOS's. "I-level" MOS's (64XX series) generally work from 7am-4pm (roughly) Monday-Friday, unless there is a large-scale exercise or deployment (more on that later). They work inside most of the time, and do not do as many deployments. "O-level" MOS's (63XX series) work anywhere from 8-16 hours days, 5-7 days per week. They work outside all the time, get dirty every day, and deploy more often. Much more often. Even within the same MOS, from duty station to duty station, conditions vary. Someone assigned to or supporting a training squadron will not face as many deployments as someone assigned to or supporting an operational squadron.

-As far as how long to finish college, remember that most bases have community colleges nearby (or on base) where you can do your general education classes, but as you progress towards your degree, you will need specialized classes (business, engineering, insert your major here) to finish and that most colleges require you to complete the last 30 hours of your degree "in-residence" at that university. For Camp Lejeune/New River, your best bets are UNC-Wilmington or East Carolina University, each of which is about an hour away. Hard to do when you work that much. For San Diego, there is USD (private college), UCSD, and San Diego State University. All within half an hour (traffic not included) but most of their upper-level classes are offered during the day. Can't really speak for anywhere else, those two places are where I spent the majority of my time. Just something to think about...

-About deployments. I wouldn't bet a frosty beverage that you won't deploy somewhere. And probably often. I know that you said you don't go to boot camp until September, but hey, Marines deploy a lot. Some more than others.

-In seven years in the fleet, I completed 45 hours of college credit. I know Marines who have been in long enough to retire and have ZERO hours. Not because they don't care or don't want to, but because they NEVER HAVE TIME.

Sorry to break your heart since you've already enlisted, but better you find out now that really get pissed when you get to a duty station (or assigned an MOS) that seems to be the anti-Christ of off duty education. And there are still some Vietnam-era holdouts (crusty bastards that they are) who think college is a waste. I remember a conversation with my last Maintenance Chief:
Him-"You don't need Calculus to be a maintenance chief."
Me-"Who said I wanted to be a maintenance chief?"
Him-"You don't need it to be a SgtMaj either."
Me-"Who said anything about me being a SgtMaj?"

Anyway, to sum up a long post...don't count on anything. Everything depends on your MOS, duty station, and work section. You won't know until you get where you are going if off-duty ed will be possible. Just remember, work as hard as you can and don't give up. I'm living proof-Marine Corps Recruiting Command told me I would never get into a commissioning program, and here I am, off to OCS in two months. Don't let me (or anyone else) discourage you. And just remember that while the things I say may not always be pleasant, they are based on a few years of experience.

Now for the good news...
Like I said earlier, I had the opportunity to take plenty of college classes. Most of it was because of my work schedule and the Staff NCO's I worked for supported me (for the most part). So it IS possible. A Marine that worked for me busted his ass for five years and finished a management degree before he got out of the Marine Corps. He's now an avionics engineer for Boeing. Just remember what he did. He busted his ever loving ass because he wanted to graduate college. And he did it. So don't ever give up. Ever...

Good luck, post any further questions here, or send me a message and I'll try to help you out.

Your friendly enlisted advisor,
Crowbar

PharaelGA18

my MOS is Airborne Radio operator aboard a C-130 can you tell me what I'll probably be doing(i signed up for it because they said i would fly as an aircrewman.)How did you make it to OCS?

PharaelGA18

this is where i found out a little about off duty education (oded)
http://www.voled.doded.mil/voled_web/voledhome.asp?Flag=True

PharaelGA18

I know I want a challenge physically, the Marines are the toughest branch of the military and I want to become an officer which is even tougher, but as far as college goes I want to get it over fairly quick which I understand now will not be the case. I thank you for your advice.

Goliath112

Take classes when you can, you should shoot for enlisted commissioning programs. That way you will have time to go to school full time.

Rayman

Originally posted by Goliath112
Take classes when you can, you should shoot for enlisted commissioning programs. That way you will have time to go to school full time.
Or better yet, apply for the Meritorious Commissioning Program (MCP). Here is the link so you can review it: http://www.usmc.mil/directiv.nsf/9d816d546727ed748525651700581631/92049f62e302c63c852569770048925e?OpenDocument

FrogFly

Knibb High Football Rules!
These programs aren't just automatic. You'll have plenty of time for school before going through the rigors of getting picked up for a commissioning program while on active duty. Actually, there'll be plenty of time before you find out the results from your package, there just may not be much for school...

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I have to agree with Crowbar. It is very difficult to earn a degree or even advanced degrees while on active duty. It does not mean it can't happen rather it is damn hard. I have to believe that the Corps is the most difficult or all the services to get a follow on degree. The ones who do are few and far between. I wish you the best on your dreams but it is a long, rough road. Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMCR

kimphil

If you're interested in finishing college while enlisted (or picking up as many college credits as possible) I'd suggest that you try an online course from an accredited university. I believe the University of Phoenix is a good place to start. I'm sure there are other universities that offer credit for online work as well. That way, regardless of where you are deployed, as long as you have access to a computer and a modem, you could complete course work.

However, you're young. You should enjoy yourself in the Marine Corps. Try to get into an enlisted commissioning program. Or leave after four years, get a college degree, and return to the Marine Corps (via OCS). Better yet, try to secure a slot at the Naval Academy and pick up a degree and commission that way.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mongol General: ...Conan, what is best in life?
Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!
Mongol General: That is good.

Brodie143

I'm in the navy and I know it is different but, having been in a deployable squadron, getting time to study for college is very tough. There should be some sympathetic NCOs and Officers who can guide you in the right direction. Also see the college advisors at the schools on base. Also look all around the website you posted. Some schools on the Dantes website offer classes via online, or even videotape. Also you can do what is called CLEPing out of a class. That is where you just take a class and if you get a good enough score you get credit for the class. That is only for the lower level classes but it will make you work easier.

As for a commissioning program, my best advice for that is constantly work hard at everything you do. Even if you get the worst job there is (cleaning out the head on a C-130?) do is correctly, quickly, with a great positive attitude, and better than anyone else, but never be a brown nose. For some jobs you may not think anyone notices, but there are eyes everywhere and people do notice.

Good luck and remember while you are trying to do all of that, to have fun and a life.

Grant73

Try AIU online. It is an accredited online university. I am Enlinsted and they gave me credit for A school, E4 and E5. If you have no college at all you can get you Bachelors degree in 26 months. Since I did take a few classes I was put into Junior status I will graduate in 13 months. I know of one person whom graduated from this University and now he is in Pensacola training to be a pilot.

Status
Not open for further replies.