• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AF Reserve/Guard to Navy Air

spankey

Does anyone have any advice on IST’s into a Navy flying unit?

I’m an AF Reserve/Guard guy flying 130’s.

I’d like to fly active Navy if given the opportunity, however I’m not sure if they move guys from the Reserves into AD Navy…even though I’ve been doing more flying than most of my active duty counterparts.

Anyone have any advice on this?

Background: I spent time in the Navy, so I know how it works... and I didn't just watch Top Gun.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
The odds (especially now) of moving from a reserve unit into an active duty Navy unit - and thus Big Navy paying for an active duty retirement - are extremely low. However, jumping into a Navy reserve unit should be relatively easy depending on your rank, your quals and if units have open billets.

ARAMP1

Aviator Extraordinaire
pilot
None
I'd say the first step of the process is to get hired by the reserve unit, i.e. meet their selection board.

After selection, you'll work with an officer recruiter that only works interservice transfers.

Edit to add: I'm going through the process now switching from active duty AF to Navy Reserves.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If you're trying to end up on active duty in the Navy, this would probably be the path you would need to follow:

-Rush a VR squadron and apply to a Pilot Selection Board
-Affiliate with the Navy Reserve (this takes a lot of time to accomplish, for no other reason than CNRFC excels at inefficiency)
-Once in the Navy and drilling with the VR squadron, apply for FTS. Be aware that if picked up, you may have to PCS to another, different VR squadron.
-Play the FTS game, but know that it doesn't guarantee flying until retirement.

The big question someone else asked, though, is your current rank. This will effect your competitiveness for either SELRES or FTS. Also, I'm not sure what (if there are any) the business rules are if you were trying to go from AF Guard to Navy FTS. That may be another way to go.

spankey

I'm an O-3, rolling up on 8 total good years (Reserve years).

Frankly, if the Active duty door opened, I'd take it, but I'd also be perfectly content flying in the Reserves.

I'll checkout some viable VR units. Sounds like a good option.

spankey

I perceive that there is a lack of individual motivation to accomplish anything. Members are conditioned to wait for input from the next O-5 in their chain of command, instead of thinking, and making decisions themselves. Personal responsibility is non-existent. If individuals have a problem, they are conditioned to bring it to the nearest O-5 for his/her solution, INSTEAD of identifying a problem, formulating a solution, and THEN bringing that potential solution to their CO for approval and/or input.

Floating around in the ocean is inherently unsafe, and doing so requires one to make decisions instantly, and accept the consequences. You can't always phone home and get the textbook answer from some clown in an air-conditioned office.