• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AF Pisses On One Of Their Own

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Thanks for the appropriate title.

As for the link...I am in awe.

Makk85

604KTS
pilot
This sort of mindlessness is scary, especially to impact someone of this man's caliber. Who makes these decisions?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If true this would be the very first time I have ever heard of a "false" positive on a urinalysis in over 13 years. Color me somewhat skeptical.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I have to imagine that this is someone who was lost in paperwork...

Sounds like the people at all levels got hung up on the letter of the law and not the spirit. I doubt that anyone is out there consciously trying to piss on this guys good day.

were only getting one side of the story.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
Side note...

I had my long form physical last Thursday. I was alone in the head when I pissed in the container. I then placed the container on one of those turnstile thingies, turned it around a left the head.

We also had a command urinalysis yesterday. Typical... roll your sleeves up, hold the bottle up while waking to the head and the MA conducted his meat gazing collateral duty while you piss.

Physical at NASCCTX...no custody
Urinalysis at NASCCTX...positive control

FWIW, I would think a drug screen is done at the physical but I don't know for sure.

For other dudes....have you ever even heard of a false positive that wasn't backed up immediately with another test?

OBTW, my prostate is fine. Thanks for asking:)

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
If true this would be the very first time I have ever heard of a "false" positive on a urinalysis in over 13 years. Color me somewhat skeptical.

Concur...In all my years every "false" positive was backed up immediately with another test. Every one was postive again.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Does the Navy do split samples these days? It doesn't solve for all potential problems, like custody, but is helpful. I used to hate it when I was still in the Reserves. Pee in the bottle for both the Navy and the airline in the same month sometimes.

exhelodrvr

pilot
I'm skeptical, too. How much active duty was he doing prior to applying for the position? How long since his previous urinalysis? How long did it take to get the initial report back? How long was his hair? How long does that drug stay in your system? All those would factor in to the believability of his story.

It is also pretty unlikely that samples were mixed up, or deliberately tampered with.

On the other hand, I definitely don't like the idea of using the results of a urine sample for this purpose unless you are going to have the "chain of custody" security.

SkywardET

Contrarian
On the other hand, I definitely don't like the idea of using the results of a urine sample for this purpose unless you are going to have the "chain of custody" security.
Indeed, if there's career-denial involved, there sure as hell better be some positive control as well!

I've only heard of a classmate of mine in a Navy school once being required to take several follow-ups because of some "two out of three" failures in their random urinalysis. I don't know of the details, nor do I know the details in urinalysis in general. I truly hate the whole process, in fact. I can understand the need for it, but I still really, really hate it.

The whole no-appeal and you-lose-everything aspects of it cause a bit of apprehension, even though I personally would never use any illegal drugs.

a2b2c3

Mmmm Poundcake
pilot
Contributor
So if hair is better at retaining info for drug abuse... Why can't I just give them a piece of my hair instead of trying to drink a gallon of water at last minute because some idiot forgot to tell me I had to do a urinalysis that day...

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
So if hair is better at retaining info for drug abuse... Why can't I just give them a piece of my hair instead of trying to drink a gallon of water at last minute because some idiot forgot to tell me I had to do a urinalysis that day...

$

EDIT: Playing devi's advocate here, but could it be possible that this urinalysis simply did its job and found an unlikely, and otherwise unknown drug-user? Cocaine doesn't take long to leave your system for a follow up test and hair can be cut pretty damn short.