• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AF C-130 pilot thinking of going CG

crazyv6

Tell me the good, bad, and the ugly, please.:icon_smil I do know about losing rank right at first. How long will it take to make it back? Typically how much flying could be expected? Am I looking at little to no family time or just the opposite? Thanks in advance!

mts4602

I'm not really in the position to give you info b/c its a lot of "I've heard" type of things but I do know that there are a couple other threads already on this topic that you could search for. I'm sure others will come along with them shortly.

Also, try Coastguardocs.com

it's a great site much like this one that has many pilots on it. They could probably help you out a lot.

phrogpilot73

I'm sure you know about gocoastguard.com. I just recently applied for the DCA program (the board just met and I'm biting the crap out of my nails!), and in the interview process they mentioned that the USCG is hurting for C-130 pilots.

I'll answer your questions based on what I have learned based on my research... The Coasties can answer if I'm way off base... "Coastie" - I just bit my nails again! I can't wait for the results to come out...

I do know about losing rank right at first. How long will it take to make it back?
What I've been told is pretty similar to what it is for other services, 2-2 1/2 years.

Typically how much flying could be expected?
Again, very similar to other services. For a helo guy, somewhere in the order of 250-300 hours. Low end if you're a 2P, high end if you're a HAC.

Am I looking at little to no family time or just the opposite?
From what I understand - A crapload of family time.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Yep, you will be an O-2 for 2.5 years, as it would be tough for you to compete as you move up with evals starting at O-3.
I can speak of the missions we do as C-130 pilots, but can not really give you your chances on making a switch from the USAF to the USCG, Coastguardocs.com will probably give you better info.
The missions you will fly are SAR, LE, migrant interdiction, counter-drugs, trash-hauling (especially in AK), homeland security and a few various others.
There are only five places you can be stationed as a C-130 pilot, and they have a few quirks associated with them:
Barbers Pt., HI (Long-range SAR in Pacific…Guam, Kwajalien Atoll, Tarawa, LE deployments out of American Samoa & Guam)
Kodiak, AK (Logistics resupplying other units in AK, Fisheries)
Sacramento, CA Fisheries)
Elizabeth City, NC (International Ice Patrol...super-freakin' cool).
Clearwater, FL (migrants, migrants, and more migrants)
Some units average 25 hrs a month, some average 40+ hrs per month. You will have plenty of time with your family as the longest you deploy is typically 2 weeks, however you will have to spend the night at work about once a week as part of a crew that is ready to launch w/in 30 mins for emergent SAR/LE, etc. If you have it on a Saturday you will have Monday off, if you have it on a Sunday you will have Friday off. There are days you have to work long hours doing test flights or paperwork (like in any service), but it usually goes in cycles. And many times while I am on duty, my wife will come with the 2 kids and bring me dinner, and we will hang out for an hour or two.
If you have specific questions please PM me.

jerky1280

Do C130 pilots ever deploy? I've heard something about deployments to Central America in support of pacific counter-drug ops. Currently in flight school, wanting to go Helos, but will seriously consider C130s for guarenteed time at home v. helos.

Not to misdirect the thread, but do you happen to know anything about if 60s deploy?

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
you do need 1000 hrs of rated time (post flt school time as it was explianed to me). Though I suppose as a AF pilot you've got tons of hours.

sardaddy

pilot
Yes, C130 pilots deploy, H60 pilots deploy and HU25 pilots deploy. They just don't deploy on ships.

However, if you are going try and switch from rotary to fixed for home time, you will be gravely disappointed. Remember there is no such thing as "guaranteed time at home ."

jerky1280

Yes, C130 pilots deploy, H60 pilots deploy and HU25 pilots deploy. They just don't deploy on ships.
Would you mind elaborating?

However, if you are going try and switch from rotary to fixed for home time, you will be gravely disappointed. Remember there is no such thing as "guaranteed time at home ."
Yeah, I know I'm in the wrong line of work for that. I should have put that I want to maximize time at home. My wife is tired of me being away all the time. Overnight duty is no problem, I'm just looking to avoid long deployments if possible.

sardaddy

pilot
Sure I can elaborate. Every aircraft in the Coast Guard is deployable whether it is on a ship or to a glamorous foreign country. CG aviation deployments last anywhere from two weeks to six months depending on the mission. Most are in the two weeks to two month category. I have been at units where we went to a ship for two weeks at a time every quarter. There are units where crews deploy for three months every six months, and there are units where the most a pilot will deploy is for two months over a four year period. How long you deploy and how often depends solely on which unit you go to.

The deployment schedule for a CG pilot, no matter what the airframe, is an enviable one by most military standards so I wouldn't worry about it too much. It is not that bad. In truth, and this is not meant to be condescending, the only way I know for you to avoid long deployments is to get out of the military.