• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aerobatics

Status
Not open for further replies.

JIMMY

Hey guys,

Any aerobatic pilots out there? Was wondering if the flying experience made flight training seem easier at all. I'm flyin super decathlons right now for primary (aerobatic competition) and will start flyin extra 300's for inter. and adv. when I get some more money saved up. I already have my pvt. and instrument. Do you think it would be worth getting my commercial, or to use the money for aerobatics? Also, I will be applying for BDCP and/or OCS, does winning aerobatic competitions have any relevance? Would it be something I could list with my total time flight hours? And is there a list somewhere of the maneuvers for primary I could use to practice?

Thanks guys,

JAmes

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
jpaviator said:
Hey guys,

Any aerobatic pilots out there? Was wondering if the flying experience made flight training seem easier at all. I'm flyin super decathlons right now for primary (aerobatic competition) and will start flyin extra 300's for inter. and adv. when I get some more money saved up. I already have my pvt. and instrument. Do you think it would be worth getting my commercial, or to use the money for aerobatics? Also, I will be applying for BDCP and/or OCS, does winning aerobatic competitions have any relevance? Would it be something I could list with my total time flight hours? And is there a list somewhere of the maneuvers for primary I could use to practice?

Thanks guys,

JAmes

loop, barrell roll, aileron roll, split-s, half cuban 8, wingovers, emmelman... max G's for maneuvers... 3.5

airwinger

pilot
Under the old MPTS syllabus, you could start doing aerobatics from your C4200 block onwards, and if you did them, they were graded a 2. This meant that if you talked your IP into letting you do them( I just wrote them up on the board and acted non-chalant about it) and got a 3(pretty easy to get) it was a neat 1 above and a 4 was even more money in the bank. If you got a 2, it was just more practice for when you get to PA's.

Don't forget, in addition to recommending you for various pipelines, your onwing decides whether you were above, average or below average in FAMS, PA's, Intruments and Forms.

semper fi.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Just to clarify, MPTS is no longer. JPPT is the current primary syllabus. It does not allow for aerobatics to be graded on non aerobatic flights. So like Pat said, only 3 graded flights, even if you rock the block it will still have a negligable impact when compared to RI's and the 41 and 4200 block.

jdnew

virtu050, amesome membership badge decal. I'm stuck here at riddle where there is, of course, no chapter. ...sigh.
Since ya'll are saying that aerobatics don't help that much, is there any course or rating one can get that will give him an edge in primary?

Pap

Naval Aviator
pilot
An Instrument rating will give you a huge edge over everyone else in Primary. You could suck at everything in Primary, but if you rock Instruments, you will still get Jet grades.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
Pap is right those instrument rated guys always seem to pull out those jets.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pap said:
An Instrument rating will give you a huge edge over everyone else in Primary. You could suck at everything in Primary, but if you rock Instruments, you will still get Jet grades.

Is this based on the new syllabus? Or does the syllabus really even matter? I'll be doing some instrument work regardless so that I can keep learning new things. I just wanted a little clarification. THANKS.

JIMMY

thanks for the help guys, ill keep the instrument work up... and the aerobatics too, just not in the clouds :icon_smil

thanks again

JP

Pap

Naval Aviator
pilot
ben said:
Is this based on the new syllabus? Or does the syllabus really even matter? I'll be doing some instrument work regardless so that I can keep learning new things. I just wanted a little clarification. THANKS.

It doesn’t matter which syllabus you are in. Instruments are very heavily weighed in your final NSS.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Instrument aerobatics . . . Interesting idea, bet that'd really pad your grades. If you survive. :p

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
Ben, Do you have you PPL? I would love to split time with you and spot for instrument work. It's great practice and NO instructor cost. Where do you fly out of?

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
jg5343 said:
Ben, Do you have you PPL? I would love to split time with you and spot for instrument work. It's great practice and NO instructor cost. Where do you fly out of?

Yes, I have a PPL. I got it last summer and haven't flown very often since September. Hopefully I can get lined up to start some instrument work soon. I fly with the A&M Flying Club out of Easterwood CLL. Splitting time is a GREAT idea... I had thought of it before but didn't have anyone to split with. Email me and we can try to set something up. BEN

Status
Not open for further replies.