• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYchivas

Hello All, I will try to get to the point. I am new to this site and have many questions. I have just recently started my application for OCS (only medical exam) and have been told by my recruiter that the earliest i will be able to attend OCS is next year (if all goes well with the app). I am married with two children and i am 27. (too old for pilot). I am an environmental engineer with 4 years work experience.
1. Does the selection board "look down" on the fact i have a family when making selections (NFO)?
2. What help is available for my family while at OCS (if any)?
Thanks

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
1. I have know several people who have had familes (married, divorced, children, etc.) that have been picked up for OCS. I haven't heard that it is a problem or consideration at all.

2. I believe if you have dependents (wife, children), you will recieve BAH (basic allowance for housing) for an E-5 salary for the area where you were living before reporting to OCS (see this website for details)

http://www.nsgreatlakes.navy.mil/otcp/

Also, you can find the BAH rates for your area at this website:

http://www.dtic.mil/perdiem/bahform.html

Good luck with everything!!
-Erin Leigh

eaw75

it should be no problem. one of my classmates, SNA designator, had two daughters and one on the way when he started OCS. he got rolled for medical reasons, his wife ended up having their third while he was in his 8th ot 9th week. our class team was actually very considerate. his family was staying in town and he frequently got special liberty to visit them.

photonchick

My husband graduated from ocs a few months ago. We have 5 children. It was no big deal. He didn't receive any special attention (except for being called Big Daddy on occasion). Just remember it doesn't put you in line for special treatment, ie; more phonecalls, extra liberty, etc. As long as your wife is on board, it's a piece of cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.