• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB Advice to a college senior looking for a Navy career?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
There aren't many commissioning options available to you if you are ineligible for TS clearance, and most of those options would require a specific educational background that you don't have.

exNavyOffRec

Let's cut to the chase. Do your folks have PRC passports? If not, I wouldn't worry about the TS clearance issue.

eh, not so much, had a kid (enlisted) who's parents were legal residents from Canada, took him over a year to get a clearance, we also had an officer who's wife was a US citizen but her parents were Japanese, he clearance was pulled until they did a complete re-investigation on everyone, then it was restored.

exNavyOffRec

I think the point is that he can get a TS clearance, which your anecdotes support.

yes, if allowed to apply, they used to be very upfront with designators you could not even submit people for that did not have parents who were US citizens, such as IDC and nuke, things like Pilot, NFO, SWO are fine since you initially don't need a TS.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
I'm curious what would happen to a jet pilot who got all the way through training and then couldn't get a TS (I don't think the process is typically finished until we're about done with the RAG). I've never heard of it happening - I know of guys who have had issues with the higher levels, but not TS. I think you could get through a fleet JO tour without it, but you'd miss out on some things and it would be a pain in the ass for your squadron. And again, once F-35s start showing up, I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a dealbreaker.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
NavyOffRec said it best when it comes to the clearance. Now you need to meet up with your recruiter and come up with a good game plan on what and how to apply? CEC first? SWO second? Pilot/NFO into the mix? The only person here who knows your the best will be your OR to pave the way for the application process. Less talk, more action. Now...

dcdf5b42acb95fa3551faa23a2f1e9e4.jpg

egiv

My recruiter told me all my immediate family had to be US citizens in order to get TS clearance. My dad is in the process of getting his, but my mom is still a foreign national.

I can't tell you you'll get a TS, but I can tell you this is wrong - my wife is a foreign national. What they are mainly looking for is your connection with China - so, if you have family/friends there that you keep in touch with, have you ever/how many times have you/your family been there, etc. Realistically it's a long-shot, but stranger things have happened.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've known guys who got TS with parents still in the PRC. It's going to take longer to get your SSBI, and no guarantees if they'll grant it. But there's no requirement for US-only relatives.