• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Advice please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvd626

Hello everyone,

I'd like to say that this website is full of wealth information and I'm pretty much convinced that I want to join the navy sometime in my life before I die
angel_125.gif
Anyways, I would like to ask for your advice:

I am currently attending a community college with a gpa of 3.5. I just turned 24 in june btw. I will be trying harder this fall semester to bump it up so I can transfer to a 4year university. My total credits would yield around 60 when I finish the spring semester of the 4yr college I'm going to go to next spring. Well, my questions are:

What would be the best commissioned program for me? I am looking into supply corps as I would like to get a business/managerial experience through the navy. I also like working with machineries and tinkering with things making sure they all work and all. What major do you think would fit best in this criteria?

When would be the best time for me to apply to BDCP? When I enter the 4yr college?

I guess the Navy just pays you E-3 plus benefits while you're going to school. What if the 4yr college yields more than what E-3 salary can provide? How can you pay for the extra money needed?

Also, you will yield to have 4yrs commissioned and 4yrs reserve after you finish school and OCS. So that's total of 8yrs in the military. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

jvd626

Also, Where do you get stationed(if you're in supply corps) when you go to active duty after school? Do you get to choose or you are basically going to be stationed wherever the military wants you to be stationed?

apendle

You have alot of good questions, but I think the best thing you should do is the BDCP. You get E-3 pay plus housing, and I believe that will be more than any other scholarship offered..I believe. If so you need to apply ASAP. It takes along time to get accepted. You will need acceptance from a 4-year university in order to apply. The longer you wait the more other people will take up the slots. Also, check out AMDO as a possible officer program. It is kind of like Supply corps, but it involves avaitional maintenance. That sounds right up your alley. Where you get stationed is so hard to determine because there are so many variables that decide that. Your enlistment does not include inactive reserves. Inactive reserves is just a technicality really, it doesn't involve you doing anything. Enlistments vary on what field your in,so it can be more than 4 years. I have heard that supply corp. 1st assignmnent is overseas, I could be wrong though. check it out, if you have questions e-mail me apendle@netscape.net.

Laxanation

I am looking in BDCP too and I'm going to be a sophmore at a 4-year this year. Best advice I can give from what I gather on this site and form family that has been in the military is to first decide whether you really want to do this by talking to a recruiter and such. Then go ahead with allllllllll the paperwork, tests, and medical exams needed. This should take up enough time for you to hear from your 4-year school. Once you have that in place you can submit your package to try for BDCP. If the recruiter gives you a line "call back when you get in to the 4 year school" or something like that try to push him/her. Tell him/her you really are sure this is what you want to do and you want to begin any paperwork as soon as possible. I agree this site is amazing for gathering info!

Status
Not open for further replies.