• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Advice on dealing w/ recruiter

I originally applied March 2009 and was a non-select for BDCP SNA.
I am trying to re-apply for OCS-SNA.

Ohio State University
3.1 Mechanical Engineering
8/7/8 65
Senior Patrol Leader/Eagle Scout in high school
Executive Committee Member of Fraternity
1.5 years of engineering work experience
LOR's from professor and employers

My problem has been dealing with my recruiter. The recruiter I originally delt with has left the job and someone new is in his place. I have been unable to get ahold of the new guy for ~6 weeks now. I have been dealing with his assistant and have most of my stuff completed already but I can't really move forward without talking to him. I leave about 2 voicemails and an email a week but have had zero response.

I have thought about trying to go up his CoC but there is a large section for recruiters comments on the application and I don't want my first interaction with him to be his boss yelling at him.

Any advice?
Also, I remember when I first applied the boards were maxed out at 150 applicants who were accepted first come first serve. Is this still the case or do they look at all packets submitted by the deadline?

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
Camp out in his office. It's hard to ignore someone that is face-to-face with you. Bring some magazines, coffee, water and just sit there. If he says he can't deal with you right now, tell him you'll wait.

Ask for a point-blank answer, "If I'm not competitve and that's why you won't return my calls, just tell me." and "What do I need to do to BE competitive."

At the same time, remember that he is new to the job and trying to get his feet wet. But, 2 calls and an email a week for 6 weeks is inexcusable for him not to return your calls.

If it goes on for much longer, switch recruiters. I would imagine that the recruiter in a college town like Columbus is probably swamped. I've heard stories about guys going to a recruiter in a smaller/lower demand area and getting more of what they wanted. It won't guarantee that you'll get picked, but you might be more likely to pass the first round of having the recruiter putting your package out there. I would think that there is an Officer Recruiter within an hour or two from Columbus that could help.

My theory that I just came up with that could be total bullshit: Cleveland is a major city that is bound to have a Navy Officer Recruiter. However, Cleveland is not a college town, I think. (Full disclosure: I've never set foot in Ohio) I would think that the demand on the Cleveland OR would be less than the demand on the Columbus OR, especially given the size of Ohio State. Again, I could be totally wrong with this theory.

I don't know a thing about recruiting quotas, so I can't help you out with the second part of your post.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I had a similar experience where I could not get in touch with my recruiter after a month of repeated attempts via e-mail and phone calls. I finally called the headquarters for the NRD to see what was up and they put me in touch with my current recruiter who's been top notch. My advice would be to call the NRD HQ and see if they can put you in touch with someone. Sometimes the recruiters just get overloaded and don't have the time to deal with everybody.

Good Luck.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
^^ Careful about going over the head of your recruiter. But 6 weeks of nothing is pretty bad.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
I recommend a combination of the advice above.

Camp out and get a face to face. If he still doesn't help you then make the call to NRD.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
Of course as soon as I posted I was able to get him on the phone and he spent some time answering all my questions, so I should have my app in before the holidays.

Thanks again.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Of course as soon as I posted I was able to get him on the phone and he spent some time answering all my questions, so I should have my app in before the holidays.

He must have seen your post here on AW! Man this is a great SITE! ;)