• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Advice for DCO nonselects

jms4netsec

INFOSEC/IA SME
I was submitted for the March DCO board (prior service USAF, vetting for IP community). Has anyone received their select or non-select letters yet?

Recently followed up with my recruiter since I hadn't heard anything, so he called. Informed me I was not selected, but had no explanation for why I had not yet received my letter.

I know there were only 6 slots for FY'09 and 120 candidates. My recruiter informed me that of the 120, 6 were chosen for '09, another 6 selected for FY'10, and another 7 alternates. Is this typical for boards, to select for the next FY this far in advance? Even if I manage to find out what my deficiency was (probably either the need for a 3-yr age waiver, or the fact that I'm likely NPQ at the moment), it doesn't hardly make sense to fix it and step up again if staffing has already taken place.

Thoughts?

-- J. M. Schneider, M.Sc. CINS, CISSP
Information Security Professional
Chicago, IL

Willg24

Hello All....I just joined the site.....

Was not selected for 14 Sept Board....

Will re-submit packet for Jan Board..

Any suggestions?

Congratulations to those that were selected

Devil Duck

Hello All....I just joined the site.....
... Will re-submit packet for Jan Board..
Any suggestions?
I suppose we'd need more information. What do you believe were your weaknesses?

If it's education or work experience I don't think there's much you can do by January. Now, if it's your motivational statement and interviews, those you can work on.

I'm very humbled to be selected, especially after meeting the others who applied through Atlanta. I was very impressed with the quality of those folks, from education and military/work experience to personality. Anyone on here recently selected out of GA?

Willg24

I suppose we'd need more information. What do you believe were your weaknesses?

If it's education or work experience I don't think there's much you can do by January. Now, if it's your motivational statement and interviews, those you can work on.

I'm very humbled to be selected, especially after meeting the others who applied through Atlanta. I was very impressed with the quality of those folks, from education and military/work experience to personality. Anyone on here recently selected out of GA?

Weaknesses:
Scored a 35 on the OAR...took test blind without studying

I feel have a pretty strong packet:
Master's in Homeland Security
USMC- 9 yrs (active and reserve) combat experience
Air Guard- 4 years (TACP): intel related
TS clearance
Speak Russian
Work for DHS now, (1 year)
Completed FLETC intel course along with many others
Completed all of the NMITC online courses (around 7)
Did well on interviews
Reference letters- 1. USMC Sigint Capt, 2. Navy Intel LCDR, 3. AF LtCol Pilot

Thanks Devil

X

xxxCharliexxx

If everything else seems strong, then retake the test and knock it out of the park. You seem like a strong candidate otherwise.

Devil Duck

Will, it sounds like the ASTB was the problem. I'd recommend studying and retaking. Additionally, get a few different folks to go over your resume and application packet. It could be a matter of how you packaged your experience and outline your motivations.

I'd like to see another Marine make it - we're taking over.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Weaknesses:
Scored a 35 on the OAR...took test blind without studying

I feel have a pretty strong packet:
Master's in Homeland Security
USMC- 9 yrs (active and reserve) combat experience
Air Guard- 4 years (TACP): intel related
TS clearance
Speak Russian
Work for DHS now, (1 year)
Completed FLETC intel course along with many others
Completed all of the NMITC online courses (around 7)
Did well on interviews
Reference letters- 1. USMC Sigint Capt, 2. Navy Intel LCDR, 3. AF LtCol Pilot

Thanks Devil
I would retake the ASTB and arrange two additional interviews with two different Navy Intel Officers.

X

xxxCharliexxx

When I was passed over the first time, I received a letter in the mail saying i wasn't selected but gave no specifics.

I expect I'll receive a letter saying I was selected for this board, well..."professionally recommended".

Then after the scroll, I imagine I will get my final select letter. At least that's how I understand it.

I haven't gotten anything but it would be sent to my family's home and not to me so I have a bit of delay on mail these days. I'll let you know if I get anything in the mail.

Willg24

Will, it sounds like the ASTB was the problem. I'd recommend studying and retaking. Additionally, get a few different folks to go over your resume and application packet. It could be a matter of how you packaged your experience and outline your motivations.

I'd like to see another Marine make it - we're taking over.

Thanks, Devil Dog. Sounds good...I will do that..

jms4netsec

INFOSEC/IA SME
Advice for DCO non-selects (Update)

I was submitted for the March DCO board (prior service USAF, vetting for IP community). Has anyone received their select or non-select letters yet?

Recently followed up with my recruiter since I hadn't heard anything, so he called. Informed me I was not selected, but had no explanation for why I had not yet received my letter.

Found out why I never received anything concrete: Disappointingly, it turns out that my 'not selected' status was actually 'not reviewed' because my package strangely failed to arrive in time for the MAR '09 board :icon_rage (although all material was submitted to the recruiter as instructed). Had to go through NRC IG (Millington) to get that intel after having asked NRD the question directly for months.

Fortunately, NRC IG saw to it that my previously submitted (and now updated) package did get seen by the MAR '10 DCO board, having obtained the requisite age waiver in advance from the community manager. This spring, I was officially NPR (although I lost the benefit of being a repeat applicant this time around). I suspect it was either the few extra pounds, or as likely, my age. I suppose it could have been the politics of having escalated the matter to the IG at all, but I did so on the advice of a local IG where I'm at.

FWIW - Looking for 1605 or 1615 (IP/IW Reserves)
Prior Service: USAF 26 months / Honorable Discharge (RE codes - OK!)
Clearance: TS (current), pending SCI
B.Sc.: Network Technologies (2007) - GPA: 3.27
M.Sc.: Computer, Information and Network Security (2008) - GPA: 3.84
Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), also ITILv3 (Project Mgmt)
15+ years in IA profession. Currently serving as
Information Assurance Officer, NSTC N63, Great Lakes NAVSTA (CTR)
Excelled on all community interviews:
2-USN O6, 1-USN O5, 1-USN 04; ...looking for an O7.
Recurring theme from all interviews: "I want him in my wardroom."

Next 1605/1615 board is SEPT 2010. Weight/BF definitely won't be an issue for me then (was down from 210#/28% in JAN, to 183#/24% in MAR, need to be 170#/24%), and last board results I received from my NRD stated that I don't need to obtain another waiver: "If you apply, and you have the skills we need and we want to select you, you'll get the requisite age waiver." So supposedly I don't have to jump through that hoop again.

We all know I can't make 20 at this point unless I get extended on the far end. Have been told waiving retirement would be my only option (acceptible). Thoughts/Advice on how to succeed this next time around? More (good) help is always appreciated. Thanks, in advance.

-- John