• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Advice for a junior sailor...

navymech

Sir's,

I just wanted to give you and idea of what I've done, and where I'd like to go. I was hoping you could give me a few pieces of advice. I've spent a few hours reading through various threads, but I'd also like to hear your advice based on my standing.

I'm currently an MMFN (E-3, non-nuke) over here in Norfolk, VA, 19 years old. I'm due to transfer to CVN-75 in November being that my current ship is decommissioning. I just finished a deployment in July which was also my one year point in the Navy. I was able to get my ESWS pin, and two engine room qualifications while on the cruise. I joined the Navy straight from high school, so I have no prior college experience. I am however in the process of submitting my TA application to begin taking course through Excelsior College. I've talked to a counselor from the school and with my boot camp, "A" school, and shipboard experience I have 25 transferable credits towards an AA degree from the school. I have a deployment coming up again in November for seven months. I'd like to take two terms, two classes a term which would give me 12 credits for the deployment. With that, I'd be able to finish my AA degree before the beginning of 09' by finishing a few more classes and potentially clepping a handful of credits. I'll also be taking the MM3 test (for the second time) in September, and I'm going to try to get my ASWS pin while deployed with the carrier as well.

My goal is to put in an STA-21 package next year for FY09'. My feeling is I don't have enough experience or "standing" to get accepted to the program. Like I said, making MM3, getting the air pin, finishing the degree are all goals, and nothing has been attained yet. If in fact I was able to accomplish all of these, and pull a fairly good eval would I be a competitive candidate for STA-21, SNA option?

Other things that may affect my status is I do wear contacts and my vision is 20/400, although correctable to 20/20 in both eyes. No color issues. My high school grades weren't the best (mostly B's and C's and a few A's). I'm about 2 weeks from taking my Private Pilot check ride, and plan to continue flight training for as long as I'm in the Navy, and well after I'm out. I haven't taken the SAT/ACT yet, but will be doing that when I return from deployment in the March/April time frame, as well as the aviation aptitude test. I'd like to take upper level Calculus and Physics as well, but I think I'm be pretty implausible with the deadline in June for STA-21.

Well after reading that hopefully you could offer some advice. I'd certainly appreciate anything you have to offer.

Have a good one,

-navymech

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
College, college, college. Be the best that you can be and avoid being obnoxious, a kiss-ass, or a trouble maker. Do volunteer work and find something at your normal job that needs fixed, make it your project, and shoot for efficiency. If you are not getting college credits in your off time, you are wasting your time. I got an MBA while flying for my squadron, doing my ground job, and going through a weapons and tactics instructor course.

navymech

College, college, college. Be the best that you can be and avoid being obnoxious, a kiss-ass, or a trouble maker. Do volunteer work and find something at your normal job that needs fixed, make it your project, and shoot for efficiency. If you are not getting college credits in your off time, you are wasting your time. I got an MBA while flying for my squadron, doing my ground job, and going through a weapons and tactics instructor course.

I understand college is important, but is it the deciding factor when determining STA-21 selectees? I'd imagine they are looking for the "well-rounded" types.

Like I said, I should have upwards of 20+ credits before the summer of next year. Is that even competitive, or are they looking for people that can check the box with an actual AA or BA/BS degree?

I'd like to get as much done as I possibly can, I want to get my degree done in 2 years if I got picked up for STA-21. Just a personal thing.

-navymech

haubby

None
Contributor
I havnt been selected but am awaiting the results for this FY. The criteria for selection isnt just based on the amount of college credits you have to date. It's all about your potential ability to be a leader. Don't worry soo much about getting those credits. If you have time by all means take classes. At your level in the Navy you should be focused on completing all your qualifications and learning the ropes. Best advice I could give you is just be the best sailor you can. Take the hard jobs no one wants, and do them well. You will be noticed. Good evals will make you competative and set you apart. Remeber they look for "sustained superior performance".

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Start looking at what is required for the STA-21 application now and begin collating those resources. You don't want to be waiting on an SAT score or transcript while deployed and miss a deadline.

Re-apply each year if you really want it. Improve your package each year. As was said in another thread on LORs, it's not who they're from, but what they say about you that matters to most boards.

Press on, you seem to be headed in the right direction.

Good luck.
r/
G

navymech

Start looking at what is required for the STA-21 application now and begin collating those resources. You don't want to be waiting on an SAT score or transcript while deployed and miss a deadline.

Re-apply each year if you really want it. Improve your package each year. As was said in another thread on LORs, it's not who they're from, but what they say about you that matters to most boards.

Press on, you seem to be headed in the right direction.

Good luck.
r/
G

Good point. I have read through the NAVADMIN (I think that's what it is called) stating the requirements for the package. The big things I'd need for next year are college transcripts, SAT/ACT scores, flight aptitude scores, and an aviation medical exam. I could potentially start compiling LORs, and the other various documents now and slowly begin the process of making it a package. Although I did want to wait before I transferred to my next command, as the atmosphere around here at the moment is pretty stressful on a good day!

I have three years left on my contract, so I'm not going anywhere. I figure I'll give them hell for the next 3 years and we'll see where it takes me. Hopefully Khakis and gold wings. :)

Thanks all,
-mech

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Good point. I have read through the NAVADMIN (I think that's what it is called) stating the requirements for the package. The big things I'd need for next year are college transcripts, SAT/ACT scores, flight aptitude scores, and an aviation medical exam. I could potentially start compiling LORs, and the other various documents now and slowly begin the process of making it a package. Although I did want to wait before I transferred to my next command, as the atmosphere around here at the moment is pretty stressful on a good day!

I have three years left on my contract, so I'm not going anywhere. I figure I'll give them hell for the next 3 years and we'll see where it takes me. Hopefully Khakis and gold wings. :)

Thanks all,
-mech

Good luck to you...it sounds like you are well on your way. Don't get discouraged and quit, stick with it and apply every year until you get picked up. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM myself or some of the other OC's on here.

navymech

Good luck to you...it sounds like you are well on your way. Don't get discouraged and quit, stick with it and apply every year until you get picked up. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM myself or some of the other OC's on here.

Thanks all. I really appreciate the tips.

I have another question. I know you have to physically apply to the school you wish to attend, but what are the acceptance rates for OC's applying to the schools of choice? Do they actually get rejected?

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I have three years left on my contract, so I'm not going anywhere. I figure I'll give them hell for the next 3 years and we'll see where it takes me. Hopefully Khakis and gold wings.
That is the exact attitude you need to have. I and many others on this forum have been in your shoes. It seems to me that you have set your goals and are working towards them. I cannot stress the importance of doing well at your command, sharp appearance, being a hard charger, qualifying early (kudos on the warfare pin!), and taking on increased responsibility. The board has to review countless packages, and there are only a couple items in your package that give them an insight into who you are. The CO's cover letter and endorsement is a huge factor to the board. Your performance in your command, especially with multiple applicants will be critical for your package and hopefully selection. It took me multiple tries to get into the forerunner of STA21, the old ECP program. Don't be discouraged if you fail to select on the first go round, apply again, it is considered by the board, and the fact that you increase your experience level, maybe get more credits and qualifications, will only improve you chances to the next board.I would not be too concerned about your high school grades, what's done is done, the board is concerned with how well you have performed in the Navy, in any schools, evaluations, and of course qualifications.At both commands I applied at, I had the support of both my chiefs, they were invaluable resources that helped me get to where I am at today. But remember, it is YOUR package. It is readily apparent to the board to see that someone who is applying didn't put in the effort to submit it in the right format, items missing or late, etc... If you can't put together a complete package, why should they select you? eh? Plus, no one in the command is going to carry your load and make it happen, they will assist, but it is up to you to get all the required items done.As for college acceptance rates, depends on the college in question. Some of the school's NROTC units have "drug deals" to get OC's into the school, but it might not be the major you were interested in. Study for the SAT, and get good grades in the college courses you are taking now. Don't limit your options with poor performance! And of course, go to University of Florida! GO GATORS! You won't be disappointed, best three years of my Naval career...Don't shirk your day job, look sharp, and continue charging. It sounds to me like you are doing just fine, and are setting yourself up for success. Best of luck, and keep us informed on how its going!John

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Navymech...best of luck. I was an STA-21 pickup so I know how you are feeling. Even the application process can seem a little daunting at first but, like any big task, one step at a time gets it done.

Webmaster's advice above is solid gold. The single biggest factor in a sucessful application for comissioning is the opinion of your command's wardroom. End of story.

If you think about it this makes sense. Bottom line, the board wants to know two things. First, do we want this guy to be a Naval Officer? They obviously don't know you personally, but your wardroom does. These are the opinions that will matter most. How do you show them that you have the right stuff? Do what you are doing. Qualify early. Get an education. Take on responsibilities and jobs outside of your division. This goes to the "my ship" mentality. Yes, your in rate qualification etc... is important, and must be done well and quickly but sucessful applicants realize that their division isn't the whole ship.

The second question that the board must answer is, "Is this guy going to go to college and succeed?" They will not select you, SOY or otherwise, if they think that you don't have the academic chops to go to college full time, finish your degree in three years, and do well in terms of grades. How do you show them this...well...that depends. If you were a stellar high school student and blew the SAT's out of the water, that may be enough. Maybe you were not so good in high school but your SAT scores were astronomical....underacheiver. So, to appeal to the board, show them that you have learned your lesson. You finished a 12 credit course load at college, while working on the boat full time and did it with a 4.0 gpa. Clearly, you have learned that to get where you want, you have to work and you are capable of it.

Lastly, your personal statement is very important. Everyone has something (maybe your grades in high school) that will raise the boards' eyebrows. Here is your one chance to speak up for yourself. Tell them what you want and why you are capable of getting it. Be honest. If your grades in HS were bad, explain why you weren't performing and more importantly, explain why you are now.

You sound like a good egg. Best of luck to you, and keep working hard. Its not easy, but your work will be rewarded, one way or another. If you have questions feel free to PM me...and remember..."Vote early, vote often." Lots of great folks don't get selected on their first try, but nobody gets picked up who doesn't apply. ;)

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Thanks all. I really appreciate the tips.

I have another question. I know you have to physically apply to the school you wish to attend, but what are the acceptance rates for OC's applying to the schools of choice? Do they actually get rejected?

Good question. I was initailly hoping to get into the University of Washington as my first choice. I should have checked the entrance requirements, but I foolishly thought that having an Associates Degree, 3.53 gpa, and senior standing would be enough...I was wrong. Turns out that in addition to a long list of requirements, I needed one additional semester of a Spanish to meet their foreign language requirement. Long story short I was denied acceptance...and the ROTC unit didn't even bother to call me back. I ended up going to college in the Midwest and I am really glad I did. If I had it to do over again, I would have called up OC's from different ROTC units and asked them for gouge.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Also to expand on ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There is no one "OC rate of acceptance" because every school is different. Some schools probably say to themselves that someone with all this experience would be great on campus with these pimple poppers while others say that you "don't fit the traditional student profile". Find a school that fits, not one that you think you should go to...

In short....it depends.:D

SubtoSky

Officer NOooo...
None
STA-21 = Perseverance

I too was in your shoes not to long ago. The advise given above by Webmaster and Scoober is pretty much right on. The biggest factor now is what your wardroom thinks about you. I have two more peices of advise for you, however.

One, do not waste time taking courses that will not transfer to a degree that: One you can live with, two the Navy will allow and three your four-year university will not take. What I suggest is that you go ahead and get the Calculus I done before your package is submitted. (If possible) This will do two things for you. It will be one less required course when you get to your school and, more importantly, show the board you have the ability to do the level of work that will be required of you.

Two, with your eyesight, you will probably not get selected for the pilot option. Do not worry aout that now. Just make sure on your package you put both pilot option and core option that way you will have the greatest chance of getting selected. I was a core option and I made to flight school. No worries.

Do yourself a favor and go to Texas A&M. You won't be sorry.

I still have everything form my package so if you need some help or have a question just pm me.

pat

Apply. I was on academic suspension from my prior college, and I found a college that would accept me. The only thing I had going for me was my reputation on the ship; quals and volunteer work, and being the go-to guy for as much as neccesary. I failed out of what college I took, and my SAT/ASTB was decent, not great. Be smart about this and stack your deck; study for the tests and take what classes you can.

I'm up the street from you at ODU, if you need an idea on how to put a package together. Good luck!