• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Advantages for Enlisted vs officer?

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
While my esteem colleague is correct regarding the dining conditions, most carriers wardrooms serve the same chow as the mess decks now. The quality is no different between the Officers and Sailors now.

The quality of music playing behind the mess deck serving LINES is of better quality than that of the wardroom I must say.
view_single.asp

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
If you for sure want to fly, I'm positive you have to be an officer.

Not true... I flew as an enlisted guy although it was along for the ride! ;)

But seriously now to clear some things up this is inaccurate. The Navy has flying CWOs similar to what the Army does. The program started in 2005 I believe. It is airframe restricted (from what I have heard) but you no longer have to be an officer (although a CWO is an officer but I believe you are referencing the O ranks and not CWO ranks) to fly. Now if he went this route and was one of the very few selected for the program he would need to be enlisted to become a CWO. The Army allows guys to enter the CWO ranks from the civilian side but the Navy does not. Plus, I think most people on this board would agree that the CWO ranks are pretty fantastic as well as regular officers.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
While you're absolutely correct...

There are about 5 Navy CWO flying spots each year. I wouldn't advise the 'go enlisted route' to try an pick up one of those spots.

Now if he were already enlisted, sure go for it...

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
While you're absolutely correct...

There are about 5 Navy CWO flying spots each year. I wouldn't advise the 'go enlisted route' to try an pick up one of those spots.

Now if he were already enlisted, sure go for it...

I couldn't agree more as I would not typically recommend it. However, there are situations other than the one you mentioned above that I would recommend it. I realize there are approximately 5 spots open each year (that is why I said very few) but I wonder how many sailors actually know about this program. But to get back on track I was just correcting the other statement.

statesman

pilot
We have some over in multi-engine land...

BTW good to see you active again Ducky.

Sounds like Mrs. Ducky is about to have some fun playing in the woods.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Ducky,

To add on to what statesman said. I believe the CWO program is designed for multi-piloted and multi-navigated fixed wing platforms only. So the P-3, EP-3, E-6 platforms is where theses individuals will likely be headed.

81montedriver

pilot
nope they are in helos in addition to those you mentioned. I know they can also be NFO's. Does anyone know if they are limited to the same platforms as an NFO?

statesman

pilot
I dont know for sure monte, but my guess is VFA is out for those guys. Just based on the program intentions as I understand them, I doubt that VFA or VAQ would need flying CWOs. Seems to me that VP/VQ and maybe VAW would be the place they would be wanted most. It would also seem logical that the E-6 would want some of those guys to make it the DH / command a little less competitive, but coming out of the VTs E-6 was hard to get and with something that competitive it may not be an option for CWO.

I suppose I could look it up on the PERS website, but then again that would take some searching and maybe a few mouse clicks.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
....that would take some searching and maybe a few mouse clicks.

Nicely done, Lurker. :)

I doubt that VFA or VAQ would need flying CWOs. Seems to me that VP/VQ and maybe VAW would be the place they would be wanted most. It would also seem logical that the E-6 would want some of those guys to make it the DH / command a little less competitive, but coming out of the VTs E-6 was hard to get and with something that competitive it may not be an option for CWO.

Hell no one needs flying CWOs. Trust me on that. The military needs flying CWOs for $$ reasons mostly. The rest of that DH/command competitive BS is a red herring (IMHO).

HeroShawn said:
Interests:Military, Long Walks On The Shores
Really? Pretty diverse interests, but where are the "shores" of Wyoming?

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
nope they are in helos in addition to those you mentioned. I know they can also be NFO's. Does anyone know if they are limited to the same platforms as an NFO?

Glad to know they are on helos as well. After I looked at this thread you are absolutely correct. Here is the thread in which some people were giving information about the NFO platforms for CWO. It also has an excerpt from the NAVADMIN.

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php/154956-How-to-get-NFO-mentor