• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Advantage of PPL?

NightHawk7125

Final Select SNA
Hello everyone this is my first post on this site, and I have just wanted to say Thank you to everyone, because I have received a lot of helpful information on here.

As to my question, I am currently a Junior in college majoring in Geography and have been wanted to get my Private Pilots License, but the cost of it is holding me back from getting it right now. So I was just wondering is having your Private Pilots License a big help for one to be selected for OCS as an SNA? I would really appreciate any answers and advice.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
and I have just wanted to say Thank you to everyone, because I have received a lot of helpful information on here.
If you've received a lot of helpful information on here, then obviously you've learned about the search function. Now it's time to put that helpful bit of information to use.

This one has been discussed many, many times.

Initiative is much more important to OCS and SNA selection than a PPL.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
No, but as a new PPL holder it sure is fun to go flying whenever you wish (well...wx and bank account balance permitting). I'd say that's about the only advantage.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Your cool factor when taking college girls out on dates will go way up with a PPL. Actually, get your civvie helo license and then you will really bang hotties.....no joke, this kid I knew when I worked line-service in college literally had a different hottie every weekend go flying with him. He had a spot on in the river on a little island where he would go buzz around and then put down. Infinite 5's on headwork

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
It doesn't appear to do much for your acceptance to OCS, so I would not worry about it all all as part of your application package.

The topic of whether or not it helps you with your performance in primary has been debated on this site several times. Some say it helps. Some say it doesn't. In my experience, every guy I knew (except one who had unusual motivation issues) with prior flying time did well in primary.

NightHawk7125

Final Select SNA
Sorry Hal Pilot, I have not used the search yet which I should have. As for everyone else thank you for all the information. I think I have decided to hold back on the PPL.

incubus852

pilot
It doesn't make any difference once you've made it into flight school, just to expand. You do get to skip IFS which is nice, considering it can get quite backed up. Save the money.

burningfeathers

Reading the grout jokes
One advantage of having a PPL is that its supposed to speed you up in the training pipeline. If you have one then you skip IFS (unless you're in the airforce). I have a ppl, I skipped IFS and ended up stashed in the IFS office for five months, losing any time advantage I had.......not that I'm in a hurry or anything.
As far as primary goes I've heard that a guy with a PPL has an easier time with basic airwork, and talking to ATC, but your peers will catch you very very quickly...
I say that if getting the license is going to leave you strapped for cash then don't do it. Wait till IFS is over, take a two weekend course, and you can get it, and you'll get it ALOT cheaper (skywarrior aviation just started a new prograrm to do just that).

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Reminiscing about being a Private pilot and comparing that to my experience as a soon to be (hopefully) winged aviator, I'm surprised Private pilots aren't killing themselves left and right.

Anyway, let's put the "advantage" factor of civilian ratings on a scale of 1-10.

Coming in with a private and some civilian VFR hours = 1-2
Coming in with a private IFR ticket and some IFR hours = 9

incubus852

pilot
One advantage of having a PPL is that its supposed to speed you up in the training pipeline. If you have one then you skip IFS (unless you're in the airforce). I have a ppl, I skipped IFS and ended up stashed in the IFS office for five months, losing any time advantage I had.......not that I'm in a hurry or anything.

Ok, already noted.

As far as primary goes I've heard that a guy with a PPL has an easier time with basic airwork, and talking to ATC, but your peers will catch you very very quickly...

Nope.

I say that if getting the license is going to leave you strapped for cash then don't do it. Wait till IFS is over, take a two weekend course, and you can get it, and you'll get it ALOT cheaper (skywarrior aviation just started a new prograrm to do just that).

Once again, already noted.

The only people that might have an advantage are prior commercial pilots or CFIs with at least several hundred hours...

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Your cool factor when taking college girls out on dates will go way up with a PPL. Actually, get your civvie helo license and then you will really bang hotties.....no joke, this kid I knew when I worked line-service in college literally had a different hottie every weekend go flying with him. He had a spot on in the river on a little island where he would go buzz around and then put down. Infinite 5's on headwork

If the dude could afford a civvie helo license and then the cost to rent a helicopter, plus his own little island, I think the hotties are attracted to something other than his flight skills. I'm thinking it was little green pieces of paper that are about 6"x2.5", which he probably had tons of.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Look, you poor, desperate fools ....

IF you want to get a PPL, go for it. Just make sure that YOU or DADDY has enough $$$$ to keep you current and pumped up prior to P-COLA .... otherwise?? Otherwise ... it won't make a difference. :)

One of my VT-1 classmates was a CFI, CFII and a cropduster w/ a couple THOUSAND hours ... I personally SAW him giving one of the VT-1 PLOWBACK Instructors "instruction" in a briefing room @ Saufley (what a sorry sight) ... the Inst. was NOT doing the ACRO "properly" and the many-hour STUD was briefing/correcting the Winged, PLOWBACK Naval Aviator in the briefing room after their just completed flight ...

Said STUD did NOT get what he "wanted" 'cause his grades weren't good enough .... however, I did (w/ 40 hours in my PPL logbook complements of the NROTC FIP Program) but only AFTER I throttled back and requested the ENTIRE VT-1 pre-solo syllabus ... and blossomed and BECAME SOMEBODY when NO ONE was getting "jets" for a 5-6 week period.

If I'd stayed "accelerated" 'cause of "prior time" and the FIP program ... I would NOT have got jets.

So does a PPL "help"??? In general: FUCK NO.

*edit* ...YOU'VE EITHER "GOT IT" OR YOU "DON'T"

BELIEVE IT. :)

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
PPL's are noted in your Aviation Training Jacket which a SNA/SNFO has until they get winged. So, you won't surprise anyone and the level of expectation might work against you. Some bad habit de-programming of guys with civilian flight quals is a trend recently.:sleep_125