• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ADS-B in Navy / Marine Aircraft?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Whats the current status of ADS-B in operational and Training Command Navy and Marine Corps aircraft?

More and more .mil aircraft are equipped with ADS-B with the side effect of real time tracking over the Internet

To wit:

USAF aircraft operating in Libya on SOF mission in real time:

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    423.6 KB · Views: 61

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Rhino/Growler has some Mode S capability, but I've never heard anyone talk about actually using it.

Like any other aircraft emissions, one needs to strangle the appropriate modes according to the requirements of the mission being performed.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, I understand that, but some of the functionality is the same and it answers the OP's question. The installed Mode S does have limited "extended" capabilities for use with ADS-B, but it is not currently certified for use.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
CNATRA will miss the ADS-B deadlines, both in & out. Probably by years.... Some other platforms may make it. I believe it's just a few boxes & an antenna for several of the CNS/ATM cockpits. More in depth mod and new equipment for the legacy aircraft.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Supposedly the -60s will have ADS-B Out by 2019. Call me skeptical. We already have Mode S, but it's a crap-shoot if anyone actually loads the APCM correctly, mostly because most people don't really understand what Mode S is or what the APCM is for. I've never heard anyone even discuss NextGen at the operational level and people who don't fly on the civilian side usually give me blank stares when I mention it.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Rhino literally just got RNAV…….as in a trickle over the next few months as H10 and JMPS 3.0.1 hits the fleet. Pretty sure that technology is at least a decade+ old. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Rhino literally just got RNAV…….as in a trickle over the next few months as H10 and JMPS 3.0.1 hits the fleet. Pretty sure that technology is at least a decade+ old. I wouldn't hold my breath.

True RNAV has been around for decades. I'd argue not as necessary for gray airplanes with RMIs as it is for civilians with nothing but the equivalent to an IND-350 VOR head. Where it WOULD be nice is so that you could shoot an approach, but again, true RNAV approaches are going away and being replaced by GPS approaches. So sounds like the Rhino is now firmly established with 1990's technology in a 2015 world.

On the -60 side, I believe we're supposed to get GPS/moving map prior to ADS-B Out, but it's been a while since I've heard the latest and I may not have that right. It will be interesting to hear the latest timeline at the next NARG.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot

Things VFA doesn't care about:
1. Anything to do with Navigation.
2. The end

Hair Warrior

Contributor
More and more .mil aircraft are equipped with ADS-B with the side effect of real time tracking over the Internet

To wit:

USAF aircraft operating in Libya on SOF mission in real time:
This is disturbing from a counterintelligence perspective. Case in point, the SOF op in Libya that was compromised this week: http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ibya-revealed-after-air-force-posted-pictures

AF Ravens can only do so much perimeter security in 3rd world countries. If terror groups know the tail number, airstrip, and timing - there is no stopping them.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Supposedly the -60s will have ADS-B Out by 2019. Call me skeptical. We already have Mode S, but it's a crap-shoot if anyone actually loads the APCM correctly, mostly because most people don't really understand what Mode S is or what the APCM is for. I've never heard anyone even discuss NextGen at the operational level and people who don't fly on the civilian side usually give me blank stares when I mention it.
ACPM = Aircraft Personality Module
I think ADS-B is expected to come to the 60R/S with the 2018 software. I should know, since it's my project, but the lack of information about it shows how soon it won't be.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
You know what else gives away your position? Civilian MODE 3, which every military aircraft has. Like Brett said, you just have to make sure you turn it off (and that it can be turned off on your particular aircraft).
I mean, I would keep it turned on - just create a plausible legend (cover) for the aircraft, and make sure that legend extends into the cyber domain. Anything but "USAF Special Operations." Paint the tail number and register it to some random minerals exploration company. Those guys bring AR's around, too.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is disturbing from a counterintelligence perspective. Case in point, the SOF op in Libya that was compromised this week: http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ibya-revealed-after-air-force-posted-pictures

The guys are sort of posing for some pictures so I am not sure it is as big a secret as the Guardian thinks it is. Of course they never play anything up to make the US military/government out to be the bad guy or look incompetent, never ever would they do that. Ever.

I mean, I would keep it turned on - just create a plausible legend (cover) for the aircraft, and make sure that legend extends into the cyber domain. Anything but "USAF Special Operations." Paint the tail number and register it to some random minerals exploration company. Those guys bring AR's around, too.

There is a time and place to leave stuff on and to turn it off, while not infallible the folks that need to turn stuff off know when to do it and let's leave it at that.

Of course if you blow through Hong Kong's approach/departure corridors and get scolded by a female air traffic controller with the sexiest British-Chinese accented English, then all's good.