• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Additional ASTB test section?

cameron172

pilot
I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else but wanted to see what was known out there about it.

I asked the Aviation LT in my ROTC unit when the next test would be administered so I could help prepare them. He replied:

"I'm still working out the issue with P-Cola...We received some new hardware
for our test takers. And, yes...there is an addition to the ASTB, which
involves stick/throttle/headsets."

Anyone have any clues?

GreenLantern330

Someone else mentioned this in the ASTB thread a while ago. I remember because I was worried about how to study for it. Some people said it would probably be similar to USAF's TBAS, which is "a waste of your time." Apparently there's no way to study for it, it's almost like playing a video game, or so I've been told.

ajohn921

pilot
None
I just took my ASTB a week and a half ago and there were no additional sections, just the math, mechanical, verbal, spatial and nautical information sections. I never heard anything from my LT about a new section or possibility of one...

VNE

I took the TBAS last year when applying for the AF. It's no big deal. For those of you who take it, be sure to drink a Red Bull just before the test to speed up your reaction time.......after all......Red Bull gives you WINGS! I'm not sure how the Navy/Marines plan to grade it. The AF PCSM score was a culmination of your flight time (in hours), pilot section of the AFOQT, and your TBAS performance. Here is a quote that I posted on baseops.net regarding my TBAS experience.

"My scores:

AFOQT Pilot: 99
Flight Hrs: 88
PCSM: 99

I felt that I benefited most from my flying experience. The mental sensation of taking the TBAS was mysteriously equivalent to the brain workload of flying my first solo XC. Flying into the pattern, talking on the radio, thumbing through the AF/D, checking the winds, working the E6B, and watching out for the a$$hole who cuts you off on downwind all at the same time is IMO the best practice. Though kind of cheesy, I also psyched myself during the test that I was actually flying a plane, chasing down a Mig, and that my life was on the line. I'm certain this also made my reaction speed go up.

As far as the feel of the controls, the stick was all wrong. It wanted to lean left or right, while it took increasing pressure to keep it neutral. Before I took the test, I sat there and pretended I was flying an actual airplane so as to get more comfortable with the control limitations.

Hope this helps you guys out."