• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Actually possible? Teaching at USNA as Reserve Officer

1776reserve

Hi all,

I've read on USNA's website, that they look for reserve officers to augment the teaching staff through 3-year tours. I'm strongly considering applying to the direct commission intel reserve officer program. Teaching at USNA would be a dream. Would you all say it's reasonable to have the chance at teaching be a part of the reason for applying to DCO?

Appreciate any insights anyone has on how selection/experience works.

Thanks.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hi all,

I've read on USNA's website, that they look for reserve officers to augment the teaching staff through 3-year tours. I'm strongly considering applying to the direct commission intel reserve officer program. Teaching at USNA would be a dream. Would you all say it's reasonable to have the chance at teaching be a part of the reason for applying to DCO?

Thanks.

Short answer: Very doubtful.

Longer answer: The USNA reserve recall program is an opportunity for reserve officers who have teaching experience to support understaffed teaching missions. Every year they solicit volunteers for various teaching subjects - the biggest things are that you’re qualified (ideally masters or phd in a desired field plus teaching) and your parent community supports you .

The majority of reserve USNA professors were unrestricted line with a few restricted line / staff corps in there. I don’t think I saw a reserve IWC on a recent list.

As a reserve Intel officer, your “job” the first several years is to attend ODS, all applicable schooling and complete qualifications. You’ll likely be tagged to support a MOB - though that may change. Additionally, teaching at USNA isn’t really a role that aligns with what Intel officers do. As such, it’ll likely put you off course when it comes to O-4 and beyond promotion boards. Those responses I mentioned here are also very likely why the reserve Intel community won’t “allow” you to pursue this.

If you want to teach at USNA, apply as a civilian.

1776reserve

Thanks, very helpful.

What sorts of reserve officers are they looking for for these roles then? The wording on USNA's site seems to suggest that they are quite hard to fill.

Short answer: Very doubtful.

Longer answer: The USNA reserve recall program is an opportunity for reserve officers who have teaching experience to support understaffed teaching missions. Every year they solicit volunteers for various teaching subjects - the biggest things are that you’re qualified (ideally masters or phd in a desired field plus teaching) and your parent community supports you .

The majority of reserve USNA professors were unrestricted line with a few restricted line / staff corps in there. I don’t think I saw a reserve IWC on a recent list.

As a reserve Intel officer, your “job” the first several years is to attend ODS, all applicable schooling and complete qualifications. You’ll likely be tagged to support a MOB - though that may change. Additionally, teaching at USNA isn’t really a role that aligns with what Intel officers do. As such, it’ll likely put you off course when it comes to O-4 and beyond promotion boards. Those responses I mentioned here are also very likely why the reserve Intel community won’t “allow” you to pursue this.

If you want to teach at USNA, apply as a civilian.
ks

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Thanks, very helpful.

What sorts of reserve officers are they looking for for these roles then? The wording on USNA's site seems to suggest that they are quite hard to fill.

ks

The third paragraph of my response answers this.

Any designator can apply but from my experience it’s been mostly unrestricted line who gets picked up.

Last edited:

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
A lot of reservists came from active duty, have been warfare qualified for years, and can fill these types of jobs. If you are looking at beginning your career as a reservist, you would have a lot of basic building blocks to focus on for now.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know several Reservists who were picked up for the USNA Prof recall. It's possible. It's also extremely competitive. A few years back a friend of mine was the managing OSO and he told me that they get easily 20+ strong applications for each billet. Getting selected as your initial Reserve assignment isn't impossible, but I would say it's very, very unlikely. Not least because the Academy wants their uniformed profs to be professional mentors for the Middies as well as academic instructors. You might possibly have a shot if your academic credentials are truly eye-watering (like, a doctorate and years teaching at the collegiate level), but not otherwise.

Realistically? Get a few years in the Fleet under your belt, then look at applying.

taxi1

pilot
Hi all,

Thanks.
I'd say it's reasonable. Not likely, but a reasonable reason. :)

I've known two DCOs who have been picked up for 3-year teaching gigs there, one had his PhD and the other had it in progress. Both were O3s, some years into their career.

If you do it, don't go dark on your community. Find a reserve unit close to Annapolis, and informally affiliate with them. Show up for drill weekends, community events, find a way to give back through your active duty gig. Make yourself valued, not out of sight. Get a concurrent fitness report from the reserve CO you hang out with.

This goes for anyone on a recall, really.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Thanks everyone. Appreciate the insights, and this is helpful for having the right expectations.

Keep up the good attitude my brother. While this specific job could be a pipe dream at the moment, I promise that there are plenty of other cool opportunities in the Naval Reserves.

I’ve got a buddy who did it. He did five years as a SWO, got his masters and was then very active and successful in his gov and reserve careers. He loved it. As said, he also volunteered to keep drilling while he did it (which seems like a pita, but my friend is a stud).

So, another vote for “work hard as a JO and apply early and often!”