• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Active Modern Military Aircraft Question...Need Input

ryan1234

Both are fighters, although hardcore C guys might argue that the E isn't.

I don't understand it. We carry the AIM-120, AIM-9, do DCA, etc. Also, if you take the CFTs off a -229 jet it's much superior to the C model in a BFM environment.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There are very significant other differences between the J-11A and B, and between the Su-33 and J-15, most of which are not usually visually significant.

Just what I was trying to get across, it will be pretty hard to tell them apart on some playing cards, you would have 5 or so cards of FLANKERS that all look alike, red stars included.

And the FULLBACK isn't a member of the FLANKER family (maybe a cousin), nor really a fighter.

Eh?! It is the same basic airframe only with side-by-side seating a bigger front fuselage to accommodate it, definitely still part of the FLANKER family. Much like the A-6 and EA-6B are the same basic airframe with the Prowler having a bigger cockpit and fuselage extension to fit it.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't understand it. We carry the AIM-120, AIM-9, do DCA, etc. Also, if you take the CFTs off a -229 jet it's much superior to the C model in a BFM environment.

How often do those come off though?

ryan1234

How often do those come off though?

Mainly just during FCFs. There are certain configurations / conditions where the CFTs do not gain any extra endurance because of the drag index, similar to the centerline tank. Even with the CFTs, the APG-70 is good air to air... now with the APG-82, quite a bit better. The bottom line is that anyone who says the F-15E is not a "fighter" is severely misinformed. It would be similar to someone saying the -18F is not a fighter because of the canted wing pylons.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot

My comment was more on the F-15C community's mentality than the F-15E airframe's capabilities. Still though, gray Eagles have a lot of kills (mostly in Israeli service, granted), and if I remember correctly you guys have one...helicopter...with an LGB. And I realize that has more to do with what missions the leadership give the community - namely, that F-15Cs have hogged all the OCAs of the past 25 years - but it's probably a point they would raise.

I will add that the Rhino's inboard pylons are removed a lot more often than the Strike Eagle's CFTs.

P51Fan

I'm including the A-10 due to the technicality that they have shot down a helicopter too.....and because it is my teenage son's favorite plane. I'm enjoying the F-15 discussion but would also like to bring it back around to the original list and see if anyone has any more comments. What other planes should I consider? Am I missing appropriate nicknames? Are the manufacturers correct? Thanks for all your input!