• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Acls?

MasterBates

That is all HSL-42. 430 is kind of the wierd one.

Our Block 0's have 11,300-11,800 on them.
The Block 1's have ~9000 hours
The core B's minus one that was the hangar queen after suffering an "airframe failure" have 6-8000 on them. Theyre new age wise, but they go to the gulf, come home, do DRI, and get handed to the next HOA/NAG det.

FLM waivers thru the wazoo for them.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
MasterBates said:

The core B's minus one that was the hangar queen after suffering an "airframe failure" have 6-8000 on them. Theyre new age wise, but they go to the gulf, come home, do DRI, and get handed to the next HOA/NAG det.

What was the nature of the "airframe failure?"

Brett

MasterBates

Crack started in port main beam. Spread out and aft, was found when it was extending below the engine fairing behind the Sono Launcher. Was down for 15 months for P&E/Depot Repairs.

MasterBates

For non-60 guys, that is about a 20 inch crack going thru some big structural members. When it was trucked back to MYPT from Norfolk, I saw it and I about crapped myself!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
MasterBates said:
Crack started in port main beam. Spread out and aft, was found when it was extending below the engine fairing behind the Sono Launcher. Was down for 15 months for P&E/Depot Repairs.
We had a similar issue (cracked main beam) in 44 years ago. Similarly, down > a year. We flew that thing through an entire phase cycle on 2K2 time getting the vibes dialed back in.

Brett

MasterBates

Out of my 150+ 2K2 hours, probably a good 30-40 were in 433 when it came back up. Same deal. I was the detless H2P at the time, so I did a ton of FCF. Now that I am the detless/jobless HAC, I am the king of FCF again.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
As far as nice gear in Helos, the Japanese have our asses beat. Their new 60K model rocks. They have an auto approach capability that is amazing. They can select to either come into a normal SAR hover, do an auto approach to a hover over a small ship deck, do the approach and the landing automatically, or just fly it in to a selected distance from the deck. Can use either GPS or navaid for this. Their systems are pretty sweet.

MasterBates

I thought the Romeo and Sierra would have a similar system as well. But it looks like more of the same as far as NAV systems. Hopefully the GPS will be Nav Certified, so it can be used for X-C and approaches.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The MH53 has VOR/ILS TACAN and the MAGR GPS system, which is certified for Non precision approaches and it can be used for enroute nav as well. Very user un-friendly, so TACAN it is for me....

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Harrier Dude said:
Probably because ships have TACANs and move. What I want to know is why every bug-smashing 152 on the planet has an ILS and my $30 million Harrier doesn't, which makes me rely on a PAR given by the junior ATC sailor in the navy. That is, unless it's raining, which renders our L-class ships pathetic radar unusable for glideslope. ASRs anyone?

I know you're not implying that the AWLS is a waste of money and could be replaced with an ILS. Blasphemy. ;)

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
squeeze said:
I know you're not implying that the AWLS is a waste of money and could be replaced with an ILS. Blasphemy. ;)

You guys are going about this all wrong, just go to about 100' and sneak in under the weather, puts you about level wiht the deck then land. That way the marble-mouthed not paying attention controller and his sh!tty radar cant get a chance to kill you, works for me

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
MasterBates said:

Wow, I knew you had more birds, but didn't realize you had that many more birds. There was a similar cracked beam on one of our birds. Not quite as serious, as they got a one time fly-off to bring it back to the beach from deployment. It was definitely down for a while.

Otherwise, it was usually drag beams every couple of phases. At least one would be cracked, regardless of the DET.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
skidkid said:
You guys are going about this all wrong, just go to about 100' and sneak in under the weather, puts you about level wiht the deck then land. That way the marble-mouthed not paying attention controller and his sh!tty radar cant get a chance to kill you, works for me

It would certainly make it an interesting approach -- decelling to a hover from 400+ kts (LAT rules).

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Lol, sorry if you think the Romeo and the Sierra are going to have all nice new gear. They are still stuffed with 70's and 80's technology. Think pneumatic sonobouy launcher... What a space wasting piece of junk... The company that makes them isnt even around anymore, they had to spend a significant amount of time reverse-engineering one to make new ones for the Romeo... Its sad really.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
lowflier03 said:
Lol, sorry if you think the Romeo and the Sierra are going to have all nice new gear. They are still stuffed with 70's and 80's technology. Think pneumatic sonobouy launcher... What a space wasting piece of junk... The company that makes them isnt even around anymore, they had to spend a significant amount of time reverse-engineering one to make new ones for the Romeo... Its sad really.

Huh? What are you talking about? I'm not (just) being a smartass, as I don't understand what your point is. And up until now, no Romeo is actually a true Romeo, they're all Bravo refits anyway.