• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ACL Disqualifier??

limeyfish

I'm another wannabe for the USNR's DirComm program. I am up for the March Intel boards, and my recruiter thinks I have a 'fair' shot at selection. I am a little outside the age norm (37 in April), but I have a solid background & work experience.

I blew my knee playing soccer last winter, and had ACL reconstruction surgery in July 2007 (Allograft - AKA cadaver replacement). I am through the rehab, and have started running again to get back into shape. My ortho has cleared me, and I can start playing competitive sports again in May 2008 (with a brace for the first 90 - 180 days). My recruiter told me this would be the big 'If' in in my application. I have been told to relax, and worry about it after the selection boards, but I would hate to get that far only to find out the knee is an issue. I'm applying anyway, but I hate not knowing. Anyone know if this would be huge red flag?

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
ACL repairs are not rare in the fleet, from what I understand. I myself tore mine 6 weeks before graduation, had my surgery and rehab in pensacola, and then started API. My roommate during college tore his in high school, went to USNA, tore it again during his second year, and still got commissioned. Just be sure everything is documented and keep on top of any waiver process you might have to do.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
I imagine the waiver process for RL/Staff is different than for URL, but mine was a statement from my orthopedist and a couple of tests to see if my leg strength was the same in both legs. No problems with the waiver.

Note: this was back in 1997, so things may have changed since then.

HIPCHIP

I used to be a certified athletic trainer, so I did rehab for ACL injuries. The best thing I can say is find a good sports orthopedist or physical therapist and tell them what's going on. Do a thorough rehab and strengthening program and stay on it. If you strengthen the surrounding musculature, depending on the injury, you could be almost as strong as you were before the injury. Don't know how it will help with your career, but if they give you a test to see if your knee is strong enough at least you'll have a good chance of passing.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
I blew mine skiing in April 2006, had an allograft reconstruction in June 06, and should be commissioning in May. The biggest problem I had (as an NROTC mid) was that the Navy had to put me on medical LOA until BUMED cleared me again (which took FAR longer than medically necessary). The flight surgeon I saw at NH Oak Harbor for my commissioning physical said it would require a waiver but that it was very routine and not something to be concerned about.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I don't think it will be a big red flag...a tiny pink one, perhaps. :)
My guess is that they will test your knee for full range of motion, stability and strength. Go forth and do good things.
The first three replies to your post offered good gouge.

Achilles

That dog won't hunt, Monsignor!
pilot
I'm another wannabe for the USNR's DirComm program. I am up for the March Intel boards, and my recruiter thinks I have a 'fair' shot at selection. I am a little outside the age norm (37 in April), but I have a solid background & work experience.

I blew my knee playing soccer last winter, and had ACL reconstruction surgery in July 2007 (Allograft - AKA cadaver replacement). I am through the rehab, and have started running again to get back into shape. My ortho has cleared me, and I can start playing competitive sports again in May 2008 (with a brace for the first 90 - 180 days). My recruiter told me this would be the big 'If' in in my application. I have been told to relax, and worry about it after the selection boards, but I would hate to get that far only to find out the knee is an issue. I'm applying anyway, but I hate not knowing. Anyone know if this would be huge red flag?

I just had my surgery done in July of 2007 and I'm still finishing up with physical therapy. I'm going to MEPS this thursday so I'll be able to answer some specific questions after that. From what I've heard you just need to get a one time waiver and you're good to go.