• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Achieving maxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jas1029

The whole reason I started this thread was so that me and others could benefit from advice on attaining as high a score as possible on the PRT.

As many of you are doing as well, I am working very hard right now in order to get a maximum score for a very simple, 20 minute test. In terms of effort, what we have to do to get there (sprints, long-distance running, etc.) is similar to training as an athlete for a track meet or a marathon.

I benefit greatly from the advice on the first page, because it is invaluable to exercise laymen like myself who would otherwise exert great amounts of effort in performing exercises that are unrelevant to the goals we are trying to reach.

As far as the methods of gaining an advantage by "sliding hands" and what not, it seems to me that if one just works harder to do the exercises properly without so-called "cheat" methods, then once you attain the numbers you want, you won't need those methods! It may take longer, but in the long run, you will be stronger and won't have to worry about if your hands are far out enough to give an advantage.

So I ask, please let us get back to the original intent of this thread, which is giving advice on training methods to increase your numbers/times. It has already helped me, as since I started this thread this is how my numbers increased:

Pushups: 65 to 75
Situps: 90 to 95
Run: 9:40 to 9:30

all in one week. This was using the advice in the first 4-5 posts. It is working great, and I look forward to any more advice anyone has on this subject. Thanks again! :D

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Jas1029 said:
......... This was using the advice in the first 4-5 posts. It is working great, and I look forward to any more advice anyone has on this subject. Thanks again! :D

U mean --- U didn't like my post ??? I got a PT badge @ Pre-Flight ... but I owe it all to cigarettes, chocolate covered donuts, and coffee .....

(smiles:) .. to help your push-ups ... :) )

Jas1029

A4sForever said:
U mean --- U didn't like my post ??? I got a PT badge @ Pre-Flight ... but I owe it all to cigarettes, chocolate covered donuts, and coffee .....

(smiles:) .. to help your push-ups ... :) )

Wow, do they have those things waiting for me there? Ahh sugar is so much better, think i'll just wing it now.

Jas1029 said:
The whole reason I started this thread was so that me and others could benefit from advice on attaining as high a score as possible on the PRT.
So I ask, please let us get back to the original intent of this thread, which is giving advice on training methods to increase your numbers/times. It has already helped me, as since I started this thread this is how my numbers increased:

Pushups: 65 to 75
Situps: 90 to 95
Run: 9:40 to 9:30

all in one week...

Good work! At this pace you'll eventually hit the maxes.

On a different note, I just got some new shoes (asics) and it helped me significantly on running. I was having some shin/knee problems, so that might have been the issue. Anyway, I know some people that train in heavier running shoes, then run the PRT in the lighter shoes. The heavier shoes help build endurance and strength (make sure they're good shoes, though, otherwise you could get injured over the long term - just because it doesn't hurt now doesn't mean you're not injuring yourself).

In addition (I didn't mention this before), but going to the gym and doing heavy leg exercises (squats, leg presses, etc.) will help you on the run. It's just like the sprint exercises in that it builds muscles for short, fast response.

One last note, could people please stop calling activities that are fully allowed by regs as "cheating." I'm not going to debate this anymore, since I think it's a stupid debate. No hard feelings or anything, but as Jas1029 suggested, let's move on. ;)

Geese

You guys are dangerous.
Chris Hill said:
Good work! At this pace you'll eventually hit the maxes.

On a different note, I just got some new shoes (asics) and it helped me significantly on running.

There's one big peice of advice to be given to those new to the military or who are entering it; DO NOT SKIMP ON RUNNING SHOES. Spend a lot of money and have the shoes fitted to you. Get something with decent support and that feels good while running. You may have to try a few different shoes before you find something that you like, but don't try to get cheap on shoes, it's the one place where you need to have something good no matter what. This goes without saying for many people seriously involved in certain sports, but there are aways people entering the military that may not have had that kind of experience. Your feet will thank you!

To the others involved in the "sliding" debate I have a question; Does a snake remain in contact with the surface at all times? There aren't too many 'hopping" snakes around.

JEEPER1219

Chris Hill said:
Anyway, I know some people that train in heavier running shoes, then run the PRT in the lighter shoes. The heavier shoes help build endurance and strength (make sure they're good shoes, though, otherwise you could get injured over the long term - just because it doesn't hurt now doesn't mean you're not injuring yourself).

Interesting...do you know of anyone directly or have tried this method? It is so simple, yet so damn logical. If anyone has known of someone or tried this, let us know how it worked out.

JEEPER1219 said:
Interesting...do you know of anyone directly or have tried this method? It is so simple, yet so damn logical. If anyone has known of someone or tried this, let us know how it worked out.

I noticed this as well. Generally, I've found heavier shoes tend to have really nice supports(especially for an overpronator like me), while the lighter shoes aren't as good at shock absorption. I switched to the light ones one day and was passing people I normally lagged by a bit...

Geese

You guys are dangerous.
Actually I don't know if that's helpfull, building leg strenth is important, but what is a LOT more important is building your aerobic ability/capability. How many times do you run and your legs start cramping and locking up? If that is happening then you need to build leg strength. Most of the time the limiting factor is your aerobic capability, and you have to run faster to make this work, and when this works you run faster. For running, it's not a simple matter of building muscles, there's a lot more too it. To sum it up, this may improve your leg/lower body strength, but I am skeptical of whether it will really make you any faster, or at least have enough "payoff".

Cate

Pretty much invincible
Heavier shoes also contribute to aerobic capacity - when your legs weigh that much more, your heart has to work that much harder, making your cardio that much more effective. Also, increased muscle mass usually comes with increased blood volume, which is good for endurance (although I don't know that heavy shoes would create enough muscle mass to make a difference).

I think that one of the major factors here is also switching to the lighter shoes for the PRT. It's not just that your legs are stronger, it's that the run has suddenly become that much easier, kind of like a baseball player warming up with a weighted bat.

Geese said:
Actually I don't know if that's helpfull, building leg strenth is important, but what is a LOT more important is building your aerobic ability/capability...
To sum it up, this may improve your leg/lower body strength, but I am skeptical of whether it will really make you any faster, or at least have enough "payoff".

It has worked for me. If you do the leg weights correctly, it becomes an aerobic workout as well. In addition, it helps increase circulation in your legs, which means your heart doesn't have to work as hard on runs.

I'm not saying don't keep running. But this is something else that you could try.

tgoc9

Don't listen to anyone who says that running every day will not help you. For almost six years now I have run cross country and track and I could break 15:00 in the 3-mile on the track. If you are focusing just on running here is are some good tips for you:

-Run EVERY DAY increasing your mileage by about 10 to 15% each week to about 50 miles a week (Real serious 5k runners do 100+) Take "down weeks" every 3 weeks or as needed that are 10 -15% less than the previous week.

-Run one long run a week that should be about 20% of your weekly mileage (10 miles if your doing 50 a week)

-After getting a good base (about a month of doing just distance runs) (you probably already have one since you run every day) Run two workouts a week: One workout on the track and one on the roads/trails. A fartlek or tempo run (2 to 5 miles, start at 2 or 3, at a 90% pace) is good for off the track and on the track run you can do 5X800, 8,6,4,2,4,6,8 or something of the sort.

-STRETCH after running

-Don't wear heavier shoes just because they are heavier. If you need the support buy shoes with support but heavier shoes will just lead to problem like bad knees or shin splints.

-I don't recommend trying to peak for the PRT or PFT because it will hinder your improvement but if you really want to drop your mileage the few weeks before and do easier workouts.

Keep in mind that this is pure running and its very general. Also keep in mind that if you follow this you will have a very low percent of body fat and it will be easier to max out everything else. Some people can't handle this regimen and do the necessary strength work... others can.

Jas1029

Well, I hit 100 pushups and 115 situps and pretty much stopped there, I forgot about sprinting and stuff im pretty satisfied with those numbers last I checked I was at 9:20 or something but since its not part of my package to the boards I figure by the time I get tested Ill pretty much know if im in or not, its not like im training for a damn triathlon or something just a pretty exhausting test, one which I know ill do fine as of now so no need to go craxzy with farting leks and what not. Thank you all for your advice it made a good difference.

barry04

you are not allowed to move your hands out durring your pfa at ocs. if you get caught you have your count cut in half by a drill instructor or class chief(they all are there monitoring), or they stop your count at whatever number you are on when you try to move your hands. on my in fpa, one of the guys in my class moved his hands, had his count cut in half, and ended up rolling because he failed his pfa.

smythg4

Crunches

I've found that the best way to max the crunches is a burst method. I usually crank out about 70, then wait 5 seconds, then do 10 more. Between each set of 10 I wait 5 seconds, I usually get around 105-110. I could get more if I could just get the initial set out faster. I don't use any resistance in my training, in fact, my crunches improved without doing ab stuff at all (weird huh). I think that if you do max sets until you hit 300-400 a couple nights a week you should be in shape to max.

Status
Not open for further replies.