• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Accelerated Training

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
All I'm saying is one doesn't necessarily equal the other. There's lots of other variables. It's been about a month now since I've paid attention to selection numbers, but for a while there were severe NSS drops due to the system (apparently) balancing itself out. Guys who were solid 60+ SNAs were getting low 50s. Of course, then there's the simple fact on whether one sucks or not.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sure, sure. I'm only talking about all other things being equal.

Heloanjin

pilot
I'm not following you here. I just meant that if skipping a couple flights improves your NSS, what's the problem with it?

All other things being equal, flying fewer flights does not improve your NSS. Flying more flights does not improve your NSS, either.

The NSS calculation does include the total number of graded items, but to assume that if you have fewer graded items you will have a higher NSS is a very bad assumption. The impact of fewer or more graded items on your final NSS is impossible to predict.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
When I was in vt-2 (sept06-march07), anybody with a private + instrument rating went on the accel program. I had my CFII so they put me on it (big surprise). I skipped the majority of BI events, one fam hop, and about half of the RI sims. If you had a bad hop, they took you off the program with no questions asked. Most of the people with low instrument time usually asked to be taken off the program.

In my opinion, being on the accel program can only help you. If you have a bad flight, it doesnt matter; they will just put you back to the normal flow. It's not like you will stay on the accel program and have fewer chances to improve those bad grades. I don't know how well it worked or not, but the studs on the accel program usually came out with higher grades.

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
I wouldn't recommend doing it, keep your mouth closed and get all the flying time you can, that's my opinion

I'm going to have to agree on this point. I had a guy interview for the unit and his biggest claim to fame was he was a UND Aviation grad, got to skip through most of primary and graduate ahead of his peers. To which my response was "Dude, you're a dumbass, you just pissed away 100 easy turbine hours and 12 weeks of relaxation."

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The NSS calculation does include the total number of graded items, but to assume that if you have fewer graded items you will have a higher NSS is a very bad assumption. The impact of fewer or more graded items on your final NSS is impossible to predict.

So is it fair to say that with a lower total number of graded items, the grades you do get count more? Therefore, if you are doing well, less flights help you. If you are doing only so-so (or poor, assuming they keep you on the accelerated program), less flights hurt you.

Heloanjin

pilot
So is it fair to say that with a lower total number of graded items, the grades you do get count more? Therefore, if you are doing well, less flights help you. If you are doing only so-so (or poor, assuming they keep you on the accelerated program), less flights hurt you.

Short answer...no.

Longer answer...there is no way to make any true general prediction on how fewer or more graded items will affect your final PAS. It is almost like chaos theory. When you are done with the syllabus and you have all the final numbers (population average, standard deviation, etc) then you can go back and figure out what maneuver on what event on what day would have been better to not fly. But that's just a little too late and not up to you to begin with.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What statistical genius came up with this system?

Heloanjin

pilot
This system isn't as bad as the crowd says it is.

The problem you are having (along with most others) is you want a way to know what your NSS is before you are done. Can't be done. Stop trying.

As to where this thread has been going, you are trying to figure out what things will improve or hurt your final NSS. Can't be done. Stop trying.

Here's the broken record again. Stop worrying about your NSS. Just study your ass off and do your best. Let the Navy worry about the rest.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't care about my NSS, that was quite a while ago. I am just trying to figure out the merits of it, and more or less curious as to how the whole thing came together. Don't assume that I have a vested interest in it.

edit: I'll add that I don't have the NSS forumla in front of me, but am curious how the Navy decided to use this. Did anything in the formula change with MPTS or did NSS stay pretty much the same (with the minor correction for the value changes assoc. with MPTS)? If I were to look at said formula then I'm sure I would understand it better. As far as projected NSSes or whatever... I agree... it doesn't matter as much as getting ready for each flight as if that particular flight is what is most important. I'm on leave and have nothing better to do than ponder these life-altering questions as I sip on my beer and watch college football.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
edit: I'll add that I don't have the NSS forumla in front of me, but am curious how the Navy decided to use this. Did anything in the formula change with MPTS or did NSS stay pretty much the same (with the minor correction for the value changes assoc. with MPTS)? If I were to look at said formula then I'm sure I would understand it better. As far as projected NSSes or whatever... I agree... it doesn't matter as much as getting ready for each flight as if that particular flight is what is most important. I'm on leave and have nothing better to do than ponder these life-altering questions as I sip on my beer and watch college football.

I know you're not trying to select, but Heloanjin still has a point about you "worrying" about NSS. MPTS has nothing to do w/ NSS. There's a conversion after the fact to get to the final NSS, but the two weren't designed to co-habitate. Basically, when you go through FITC, try and learn what you can from the MPTS brief and forget NSS until your first onwing selects. Smiles in effect, btw, in case that wasn't clear.

NSS will eventually go away. Just like the T-6 and the -60R will be operational "soon."

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks dude. I don't think you guys are understanding my angle on this. I am curious because I'm curious, not that it has any affect on me (and who cares about students ;) ). Sure studs are going to always ask about NSS and how their grades will affect it. I am more interested in the way the Navy does business (especially compared with the Air Force) and how we got to where we are now. I was a product of both MPTS and the old school method (T-45s). It seems that, thanks in part to my non-direct questioning, I won't find the answers to my curiosity on airwarriors. There is way too much "don't worry about your NSS" philosophy speak around here (thanks to the repetitive questioning from students) that no one wants to actually dive into the details. So I ask: why not?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Thanks dude. I don't think you guys are understanding my angle on this. I am curious because I'm curious, not that it has any affect on me (and who cares about students ;) ). Sure studs are going to always ask about NSS and how their grades will affect it. I am more interested in the way the Navy does business (especially compared with the Air Force) and how we got to where we are now. I was a product of both MPTS and the old school method (T-45s). It seems that, thanks in part to my non-direct questioning, I won't find the answers to my curiosity on airwarriors. There is way too much "don't worry about your NSS" philosophy speak around here (thanks to the repetitive questioning from students) that no one wants to actually dive into the details. So I ask: why not?

If you're curious, I'd grab a copy of the MPTS book (student version) from the CNATRA website. It goes into detail on how the grade is computed. The NSS is then figured after the fact. I'm not sure you'll actually understand all of it, as I sure don't, but it's there. I didn't mean to shut you down, as understanding the system is always a good thing, IMO. From the IP point of view, the big things to remember is that a) it's not AA, BA, A (which I know you know), and b) reading the CTS in the back is key to fairly grade a stud. The rest of the stuff is gravy, at least at first.

I was in the same boat as you (MPTS followed by old school). It took me a while to understand that the NSS wasn't directly linked, but going into STUCON and talking w/ the Ops Admin folks regularly helped w/ the education.