• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

About to enlist and need info

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick21

I am turning 21in march and I am about to acquire my GED. I was wondering if anyone has any advice about which way I should go. Should I go ahead and enlist in the Navy or go tocollege and then apply to become an officer? I know that dropping out of school and getting a GED doesn't say much for me, but I want to do everything possible tobetter myself and hopefully with the grace of god become a Naval Aviator. In my eyes one of the greatest privileges a person could ever recieve.

AZSkegee

Well I enlisted with a college degree, and going for my masters now. Let me give you some personal insight and you decide on how you want to handle the situation. Ok, go to college 4 years you learn grow and when you graduate you get commissioned. Enlist, currently they have 100% TA but you also have to do duty days and do what the navy wants, This is an achievable goal but it takes hard work and effort. Its really up to your you, I would do everything over again, enlisting has enriched me in some ways, and you learn a few things. To conclude each choice has its ups and downs evaulate what you want in life and choose the one that fits you

unfUSN

The guys in my division trying to finish up collegeg classes are haveing a tough time because of the boats schedule, standing duty, and everything else. It is possible though, it just takes a lot dedication and hard work. If you enlist TA if 100% right now and with good eval adn recommendations you can start applying for enlisted-officer programs.

Good luck...
ENS Payne

One cannot simultaneously prevent and prepare for war
- Albert Einstein

Spin

SNA in Meridian
I would just have to disagree with you about the 2.0. Things are extremely competative right now and a 2.0 just won't cut it. I had a 2.5 and got rejected so I am a little bitter (hehe) but I am not giving up. Just my 2 cents.

Peace,

-Spin

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
As, dtirey was saying... I spent 8 years as enlisted, and it took me three tries to get into a commissioning program. I got ECP on the third try, though that program is no longer around (STA instead). As mentioned, you are up against quite a number of competitive individuals. The items that got me in, were the repeated atempts, multiple warfare quals (submarine and diver), and taking whatever spare time I had and pursuing my degree on my own... I am NOT trying to discourage this route, and I don't think David is either, but just to emphasize, it is the "road less traveled", and definitely not an easy one.

Valion310

Something else to maybe think about, as a prior "E", I do have an outstanding prior military record which adds a few brownie points to the list in my favor. (Hence, if you enlist, you'll have that on your side as well.) Something you could do is not stress about getting a degree in say your first enlistment. But instead, do as much as you can while active duty and with some PPPPPPP (Proper Prior Planning to Prevent Piss Poor Performance), then get out, knock out the rest in say 24 months tops. At 21 after a 4 year enlistment, you'll be 25/26ish with plenty of time to apply for OCS, or do an NROTC route.

If I could have ever done ANYTHING over again, I would have thought more about taking some collage courses while on Active Duty, then I would theoretically already be back in and not missing out on the war.

So my point is, don't just think "inside the box", there is nothing saying you can't split your education goals up and get the best of both worlds.

Valion310 taking his IFR/Comm. Ground class inverted -
batman_125.gif

Goliath112

Hey Valion, I see your still a space cadet in the Imperial Peenal Navy...... Hmm I thought you
didn't reenlist.. hehe

Valion310

LOL .... Ehh ... lost me there?

Valion310 - dazed and confused ~
crazy_125.gif

Originally posted by Goliath112
Hey Valion, I see your still a space cadet in the Imperial Peenal Navy...... Hmm I thought you
didn't reenlist.. hehe

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There are various routes to a commission. I took the prior enlisted path and the only change I would have made was to attempt to get into a commissioning program ealier. Both sides have their PRO's and CON's. If you do go the Enlisted route, make sure you get a Guarenteed 'A' school. Do not come in as a non-designated striker...I was one and it is very difficult to get ahead in your rate.

When I finished High School, I was tired of working and going to school. So, the Navy was a great place for me to learn and grow-up (and get some discipline). If you do not have the discipline to succeed in college, the enlisted route may work well for you. I know I did much better in college because I had learned motivation and discipline in the Navy.

Whatever your descision, stick with it and set your goals early. Good luck!!
ea6bflyr
icon_smile_wink.gif

Goliath112

Originally posted by Valion310
LOL .... Ehh ... lost me there?

Valion310 - dazed and confused ~
crazy_125.gif

Originally posted by Goliath112
didn't reenlist.. hehe

I talking about all the Sci-Fi/Space Cadet stuff on your website. Don't act like you don't know what i'm talking about...

Status
Not open for further replies.