• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A4s - Have you tried this?

nfo2b

Well, not anymore... :(
Are you kidding? A4s would $hit his Depends if he tried that!
(j/k! Who love's ya, man!) :D

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Drag racing is for pussies .... I fly jets. Lots of mysterious stuff goes on crossing the Pacific, especially at night.

This is an upclose and personal view of a JAL Whale on the NOPAC who would not climb nor answer me on the radio so I snuggled up under him and tripped off his PMS/Autopilot two or three times. He started hissing some incantation about "Gaijin Devil" on the radio and then called Tokyo for clearance. He climbed .... :)

nopac63ab.jpg

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
Thats good A4. Reminds of that JAG episode where Harm trips off the F-14 autopilot cause the one f-14's crew was unconscious. He puts his wing under/above? the other tomcats wing to make it lose lift and flip over and then loose alt. They recovered just in time. Good stuff.

On a real note, my dad flys for ups and he has a some stories. One trip across the pacific, there was a guy in a 747 that was asking all the other planes in the area about answers for his crossword puzzle. He even got his airline company back at their homebase to patch him through to the crossword puzzle company to get one of the answers because he was so frustrated. Not as good as the A4 story but it works.

IRfly

None
A4sForever said:
Drag racing is for pussies .... I fly jets. Lots of mysterious stuff goes on crossing the Pacific, especially at night.

This is an upclose and personal view of a JAL Whale on the NOPAC who would not climb nor answer me on the radio so I snuggled up under him and tripped off his PMS/Autopilot two or three times. He started hissing some incantation about "Gaijin Devil" on the radio and then called Tokyo for clearance. He climbed .... :)

Good thing only the pilots' windows look up... :eek:

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
IRfly said:
Good thing only the pilots' windows look up... :eek:
F.Y.I. ..... there's only three pairs of "eyes" on a Whale freighter .... :)

edit: Oh, yeah .... and just so you won't get "too scared" while looking at a picture ... 1000' separation is the norm in NOPAC, same way, same day ..... :)

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
i hate it when the Northwest guys come up on five fingers when we're trying to conduct an altitude swap in our working area! Now that's just plane( :icon_tong ) annoying. Even worse when some dude starts babbling in gobbledyguke over guard and they spam the airways!

not that this has anything to due with this thread really, but while we're telling stories of our experiences with civil aviation...

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
PropStop said:
Even worse when some dude starts babbling in gobbledyguke over guard and they spam the airways!

Nothing like Greenwood Radio coming up in a thick southern accent trying to raise someone on Guard while your IP is talking to you and Approach is talking to you.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
Nothing like Greenwood Radio coming up in a thick southern accent...

i thought trying to understand a southern accent was tough...but then i came to asia. glad i don't have to talk on the HF's to the FIR controllers! The Japanese controllers aren't too bad, but every now and again you'll get one who you swear hasn't ever heard the english language before!

BTW, has anyone else wanted to call "HoChiMinh Radio" "Saigon Radio"? That's very hard to resist... again, good thing i don't make the position reports...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
PropStop said:
.....The Japanese controllers aren't too bad, but every now and again you'll get one who you swear hasn't ever heard the english language before! BTW, has anyone else wanted to call "HoChiMinh Radio" "Saigon Radio"? That's very hard to resist... again, good thing i don't make the position reports...
I called Uncle Ho "Saigon Radio" a couple of times ... they wouldn't answer me until I said "Ho Chi Minh" Radio .... really a bunch of pouty-lipped Gomers.

I love to bomb Gomers ..... :)

The best controllers/ATC in the Orient:

Hong Kong
Singapore
Guam/Saipan
Japan
Naha/Okinawa
Most of the Filipino controllers
Thailand

The worst in the Orient are (in no particular order):

Taiwan
Vientianne Radio
The aforementioned ... "Saigon" Radio ... actually, anywhere in Vietnam
Magadan Control (Russkies are usually trying to speak English through a fog of bad Vodka?)
ANYWHERE in Mainland (Communist) China
A couple of the Filipino controllers (go figure -- probably more the fault of the equipment they're using that MacArthur left behind :) )

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
A4sForever said:
He started hissing some incantation about "Gaijin Devil" on the radio and then called Tokyo for clearance. He climbed ....[/b] :)

He was probably just pissed that I was stealing all his sexy asian flight attendants from him. You know how it is: Get some of that free hooch they call booze in you, and the next thing you know, you're waking up in a tangle of nekkid Japanese girls. ~sigh~ The Good Ol' Days... (I'm very much reformed these days.)