• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

a varsity move

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
the f-4 was short coupled ... it seems to me mugs coupled up negatively and to the left and then positively and to the right.
the return to controlled flight took just the right amount of lead as did the the 'mid couple' reversal.
a-freekin'-mazing.
I think you nailed it. :)

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Looking at that pic makes me wonder....did guys bounce there? Seems like a weird place to have carrier boxes

Bouncing at Cubi was quite common back in the day. Not only for fleet squadrons, but Cubi-based "Mother" C-1A COD Squadron, VR-21 had to refresh CQ their pilots & CQ their newly assigned pilots.

Cubi was in no way "weird" for MLP, probably better than most CONUS NASs in that when the CV/CVW was in port, ther was very little operational traffic to interfere with the bounce pattern.

BTW, that beautiful aerial photo of Cubi made me homesick. I thought I smelled the 'perfume' Eau de S**t River!:eek:
BzB

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
I would like to see someone comment on this as well.

can't find a proper definition. maybe something to do with the ratio of wing span to fuselage length the term would imply inherent instability... a good thing for a fighter.

this guy would be considered pretty short coupled.
if he had a bigger rudder and stomped on it too hard at high speed the yaw might well transition to uncontrolled roll
800px-Gee_Bee_R-1.jpg

this transition would be less likely with a longer fuselage.

slide down about 7/8 of the way to 'coupling'
http://people.clarkson.edu/~pmarzocc/AE430/AE-430-5.pdf

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Question, since I don't know much 'bout you fast-moving types: Would the HAL-9000s on today's birds let something like that happen?

The latest software makes the jet fairly idiot proof in terms of preventing departure and aiding recovery, but there are still some departures that the computer can't protect you from.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
We do an OCF hop prior to starting the RAG BFM syllabus. I remember on mine, spending like 20 mins trying to get the thing to spin, to no avail. This included ridiculous stuff like full blower on one side, idle on another, full cross controls, 0 airspeed, even a full up wipeout of the controls. Nothing.....it would flop over on it's back, gently find nose down, and start accelerating, and it would be over. I did do a cool tailslide where I was falling backwards through a cloud of unburned fuel though....kinda neat. You can do some cool stuff intentionally with the FCS logic, and it will hang out all day long at like 80 kts in blower with the alpha tone going off, but I have yet to have it do anything that I didn't want it to do, in spite of my best efforts.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
BTW, that beautiful aerial photo of Cubi made me homesick. I thought I smelled the 'perfume' Eau de S**t River!:eek:
BzB
One of the favorite sports of 18 year old Sailors on their first Cubi liberty - flipping peso coins into Shit River to watch the kids dive for them.

Another favorite sport - giving the smallest kid the peso and seeing how long he could keep it.

Yes, Sailors were assholes when they were drunk on liberty in Cubi. But then we also put a lot of money into the local economy....Smile!

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
One of the favorite sports of 18 year old Sailors on their first Cubi liberty - flipping peso coins into Shit River to watch the kids dive for them.

Another favorite sport - giving the smallest kid the peso and seeing how long he could keep it.

Yes, Sailors were assholes when they were drunk on liberty in Cubi. But then we also put a lot of money into the local economy....Smile!
Don't think for a minute I missed the esoteric message in your final word.
As for me I usually played klondike at the Cubi O'Club until dawn.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Don't think for a minute I missed the esoteric message in your final word.
There are those who've smiled and those who've lied about it....that F-4 in your avatar seems to have a rather long nose....

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

Ummm, nice try Cat. I was on the '72 MIDWAY cruise with you...spent every night in the Cubi Club 'til closing time, never saw hide nor hair of you!:p Next witness...

Pinocchio syndrome?
BzB

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
whatever happened to the show dogfights? I thought it was pretty creative and well done; at least better than the swamp loggers, gold miners, and nose pickers reality series du jour.

Flying Toaster

None
whatever happened to the show dogfights? I thought it was pretty creative and well done; at least better than the swamp loggers, gold miners, and nose pickers reality series du jour.

It's no longer on History and I don't think they're making any new episodes, but they still have reruns on "Military History." It's one of their sister channels and in my area it's buried way up in the triple digits.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
So random question from a help bubba regarding OCF in a hornet. I have heard that in certain conditions, all displays will show an arrow saying push the stick in what ever direction. Why? Doesn't the AFCS/autopilot/whatever you call it have full authority to move the controls regardless of stick position? Am I missing something?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk