• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A question for (BDCP) SNA's

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayManC

roughly how long after you guys (and gals) got accepted did you have to go in for your flight physical, prior to OCS?

<insert something witty here:>

marcurb

you dont go get a flight physical before ocs anymore, if i am mistaken let me know.

"Gentlemen: All the Branches of the Service are 'Honorable and Noble.' Each one of you has served your country well. Be proud of that."

(signed) GOD, USN (Ret)

tali264

I'm BDCP and haven't had a flight physical yet (OCS is May '03). I don't know what the rules are, but nobody told me I had to get one.

NuSnake

Once you get BDCP the reqs are to make your grades. i have yet to be told to get a flight physical, but I guess if they do tell me to I will, but until then, I'm not gonna go looking for one because they just sound so damn fun!!!

JayManC

whew I wasnt sure, I thought it was a bit foolish to think that they would do the flight physical after youre committed, and to then tell you you've been NPQ'd....hmm come to think of it maybe not

jrklr

while we're talking about the flight physical (the one before API at NOMI I presume), from what I heard it's not too much different from MEPS is it? I've heard that it includes the same eye tests, except you repeat them a couple of times and a flight surgeon looks at your eyes as well. If the physical at MEPS can guarantee you a pilot slot, I assume it's gotta be somewhat close to the "flight" physical. Any one else know about this?

jlinscott

I can't confirm that this is true (being the same as MEPS), but I have heard the same thing. Except, the eye tests are a little more intense (look at your rods and cones and stuff).

Jason

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Guys,

The tests are not the same. Esp. the eye test. Also you do not have to get a flight physical before ocs. The physical at meps is usually good. However, there are a lot of guys that get the nami whami for eyes, cardio etc after the meps physical. So take the $$ and run.

Dave

wali

Just have to say this, Watch out for the darn prostate checks for flight physicals
bigmouth_125.gif
oh the pain and suffering. One of my friends here at Moody just told me this horrible news but I guess a shot at best flight schools is worth some pain. Like they say, no pain,
banghead_125.gif
no gain.

Ironnads

I went through the OCS physical with an SNA designator and there was no prostate check. Also, meps is a joke. NAMI is the real deal. I read 20/20 and 20/25 at meps and 20/60, 20/40 at NAMI. Meps doesn't even check your refractive correction. If it is above 1.5 at NAMI you're screwed. I got NPQ'd and had PRK. One more month til I resubmit.

Travis Alexander

JayManC

i hear you on that ironclads, i had PRK back in November, and I'm waiting till 1 Feb to resubmit, i had -1.75 in one eye and -1.5 in the other and still read 20/20 figure that one out. Of course in the real world I couldn't read crap at distance w/o my glasses on. Can't exactly say that I'm exstatic with the PRK results...but hey I don't need glasses anymore so...

Ironnads

I went to the doctor 1/20. They said 20/20 right and "20/30ish" left. So really 20/40-20/60 left. They took me off of the steroid drops and said that if my left eye doesn't improve then they will burn me again. I can smell the cornea burning already.............Can I interest anyone in some cornea meatloaf?

JayManC

ironnads, im going through the same thing. I dread going under that laser, but my left eye which is my dominant/focusing eye was slightly overcorrected (normally it wouldnt be a problem given that this is where you hear about people having like 20/10 and whatnot) but my right eye was burned to the 20/20 point so my DP is all screwed up and pretty much makes my stereo-vision crap... im waiting till my 90-days elapses, ill have the waiver filled out, then go back in for the touch up. as it stands now im in there given my refraction and reading, but day to day its really annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.