• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

a question about nerves.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm hoping to become a naval officer after I graduate in 2009. At the moment I am just looking for some advice other than my local officer recruiter and my Father. As of now, my first choice would be to go into aviation, but there are some things that concern me.

Almost every time I fly on commercial airlines, I get nervous. I'm not afraid of heights (looking out the window is actually what calms me down). The reason I get nervous is because I don't feel safe. I don't know the pilot, he has my life in his hands, what if he was the lowest in his class....all of these thoughts race through my head. I have the same issue with being a passenger in somebody's car (but to a lesser extent). I just like having my life in my own hands.

You may be asking, "Well then why the hell would you want to fly for a living?" Whenever I think about flying my own plane (of course, by "my own plane" I mean the Navy's plane), I get the feeling that it's the only thing for me....nothing else would suffice. When I think about flying in the Navy, It's a whole different ball game....I know I'll be safe, I'll trust those around me, and I can rely on the fact that everyone has been trained by the best in the world. :eek: (added for emphasis)

Has anyone out there had similar thoughts or experiences? Should I steer clear of aviation? This is something that I really want to do and I have become very passionate about it, but I want to know what some of you think about this situation.

PS...I want to fly the new Growlers or P-8s (cause my old man flew p-3s).

So you're afraid to fly...afraid to drive in a friends car...afraid to walk down the street (I added that one :D)...that's no way to go through life.

Seek professional help now.

But to steer clear of aviation ...heck no...You should aim to be an NFO in F/A-18Fs.

plc67

pilot
Fatigue in the overnight express business is a big problem. You are often zombified by the time you reach your destination but you'd better be able to perform like a circus animal when you get there. There's nothing like sitting in the cockpit waiting for the 24 hour clock to reset so you're legal and you've already been up all night and you're heading for the left coast. It may be legal but it is akin to practicing bleeding. As for coffee, I have fallen asleep with a cup in my hand. After 22 years of night flying caffeine has zero effect. The flip side is it weren't no secret what we did when I signed on so it's PHL -ILN-SJC tonight. Last night I did get the added bonus of seeing the lunar eclipse at 39000 feet.
As for flyinging in the back of airliners, I hate it. Especially the RJs, it seems the talent level goes from A to Z and I've been on a Z level flight.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I'll second going up in a cessna to see if being at the controls puts you more at ease.

Having just soloed today, and basking in the afterglow of being the AC for a short time, I can say that IT IS WORTH IT. If you really dream of being a pilot, then go for it. It is a FANTASTIC feeling to do a short brief with the ODO, and then go check out your own plane, preflight it, fire it up, taxi it out and take to the skies. I am a 22 year old kid, and the Navy just handed me a million-dollar aircraft and told me to be safe and have fun.

My suggestion is: GO FOR IT! you'll never regret trying and failing (that is, if you're one of the few who does), but you WILL regret not trying if you are dying to...

My 0.02

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.....Having just soloed today.....
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

SAVE THE WOMEN AND CHILDREN!!!

Our young man is growing up, Mother. Congrats .... :)

24559952or2.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Having just soloed today, and basking in the afterglow of being the AC for a short time,...

Well, technically you weren't AC, but PIC, but that's another thread. Congrats on the solo! Did you have the standard 4 civilians in the pattern that always seemed to come to LRU when the solos were flying?

cpwhit1

Final Select SNFO 07 March 2010
So you're afraid to fly...afraid to drive in a friends car...afraid to walk down the street (I added that one :D)...that's no way to go through life.

Seek professional help now.

But to steer clear of aviation ...heck no...You should aim to be an NFO in F/A-18Fs.

I actually fly a lot...my dad works for United so I fly for free. Big difference between "nervous" and "afraid". Oh hey, I have an exam next week...kinda nervous about it....where's that Dr. Phil number?....:D

But seriously, thanks for all of the advice from everyone!

larbear

FOSx1000
pilot
Yeah... I don't like riding on airlines or in cars that I'm not driving either. The combination of having no control and no ejection seat is what does it. Like someone said, in flight school, your only anxiety will be about avoiding downs (and airsickness/G-LOC in my case:icon_smil). For the most part you will be too busy to be nervous about getting killed, with the possible exception of your first night formation flights...

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Actually, I'm much more nervous flying in the back of someone else's aircraft, whether commercial or military, than I was before I became a pilot. I'm always thinking, "What was THAT? A monkey could fly this thing better than you assclowns!"

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Actually, I'm much more nervous flying in the back of someone else's aircraft, whether commercial or military, than I was before I became a pilot. I'm always thinking, "What was THAT? A monkey could fly this thing better than you assclowns!"
AGREE!!

Especially when you figure the stats: put 100 chimpanzees in a room -- each w/ a leather flying helmet and stick & throttle -- ONE of 'em will learn how to fly. :eek:

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger ... :)

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
It gets even less pleasant on the regionals when you know you pay the guys mowing your lawn more per hour than the kid up front is making.

FSF17

pilot
I was the exact same way... used to be really nervous on comercial airlines because I wasn't in control, and I used to look out the window to calm down, too. I still wanted to fly though, and it made very little since to people who knew that I HATED to fly commercially. Anyhoo, I have a grand total of two weeks of IFS under my belt, so take it with a grain of salt, but flying a plane yourself is fun as hell...