• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A place to shoot in Milton or P-cola?

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
I'm looking to purchase my first handgun. I've shot a few different handguns, but only a few... and spread over a lifetime. And most of them were .22's

I know a fair amount about rifles and shotguns... and my muzzleloaders... things I can hunt with. But I'm looking for something to keep as more of "home protection"... possibly get my Carry License, but not for everyday wear.

I've gone to a few gun shows, and shot my friends .40 XD and .45 XD but I'd like to find a place that possibly rents some guns around NAS Whiting or P-cola? I've been to one way in the past, and not in Florida.... a range where I could hopefully get a few different calibers and a variety of models in my hands before I find something that just "feels right". I really am thinking about a 1911, specifically the new Taurus one... but I'd like to actually get a few rounds in before I make a $600 - $700 purchase... and I dont know anyone who doesn't own a handgun other than the XD or a Glock.

Any suggestions?

mkoch

I'm not driving fast, I'm flying low
I have yet to find a place that actually rents guns around here, but if you have a range you already shoot at (I go to Styx River, it's the Wilcox Rd exit on I-10 in Alabama) just show up during "peak" hours on the weekend when alot of people are there. Chat up some of the other shooters there, and if someone has a weapon you haven't seen and/or fired before, if you ask them nicely they might let you try it out.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Why get a CCW if you don't carry everyday. You wear a seatbelt every time you get into a car because you never know when you are going to get into a wreck.

Apply the same thinking to your CCW. You never know if you are going to get held up at Walmart, or coming out of the restaurant, or walking down the street.

kejo

pilot
I used to shoot at Escambia River Muzzleloaders off Quinette Road. I think it was like $50 for a year's membership. It's an open outdoor range, you have to bring your own targets, which is nice if you like to vary it up a little. The best thing about it is that variety of firearms people take there. You can shoot pretty much whatever you want there. I used to go on Mondays when a local Glock team would practice. Everyone is really cool about letting you try their stuff out.

They're having some trouble with zoning right now, but they're still open.

Website
http://www.erml.org/

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
I have yet to find a place that actually rents guns around here, but if you have a range you already shoot at (I go to Styx River, it's the Wilcox Rd exit on I-10 in Alabama) just show up during "peak" hours on the weekend when alot of people are there. Chat up some of the other shooters there, and if someone has a weapon you haven't seen and/or fired before, if you ask them nicely they might let you try it out.

We used to go to Styx River a lot. Most of the people there are pretty cool and are more than happy to let others try out their guns. There's a pretty exotic mix of weapons that go through there on a regular basis.

The problem with Styx River is that when its busy it can be really hard to keep the range clear. I've seen a lot of questionable safety practices there (esp when the locals show up with 3-4 kids in tow). You really have to be careful to make sure the definition of "cold" or "cease fire" is understood.

Also there's always at least one a-hole firing his 50cal rifle on the pistol range for some reason. That's just a personal pet peeve... esp since there's a rifle range 10 feet to the left.

I strongly recommend going during the week (if you can) when its not packed... there's still people to talk guns with and less people trying to kill you.

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
Why get a CCW if you don't carry everyday. You wear a seatbelt every time you get into a car because you never know when you are going to get into a wreck.

Apply the same thinking to your CCW. You never know if you are going to get held up at Walmart, or coming out of the restaurant, or walking down the street.

Well, I want the CCW, basically to keep the gun in my car when I'm driving, especially when I'm driving long distances on vacation or moving.

Cavt

Living the dream
pilot
I was just going to say. The place in Pace is nice, but the $10 per visit is a little steep, but I don't get out there much. It's a pretty nice range, and if you only go once a month the cost isnt too bad.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I used to shoot at Escambia River Muzzleloaders off Quinette Road. I think it was like $50 for a year's membership. It's an open outdoor range, you have to bring your own targets, which is nice if you like to vary it up a little. The best thing about it is that variety of firearms people take there. You can shoot pretty much whatever you want there. I used to go on Mondays when a local Glock team would practice. Everyone is really cool about letting you try their stuff out.

They're having some trouble with zoning right now, but they're still open.

Website
http://www.erml.org/

These are good folks for the most part. Shot up there a few times when I was in A-pool. They do bi-monthly (at least) IPSC and IDPA matches so the opportunity is there for you CWP want-to-haves to get proficient. Requires NRA membership, which is free when last I checked for active duty types, and is something you ought to do anyway.

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
no one's gonna mention that place up in Pace?

I stumbled upon the one in Pace after asking a sherrif where a range was... it was a nice range, but $10 per person, per visit is crazy. And they don't even provide targets, or an annual pass. Considering it's a public range... that's the most expensive one I've seen.

I saw the Escambia River Muzzleloader's at the Gun show in P-cola this last weekend, got a flier from them... and their new website is www.erml-gunclub.org it's now $75 for an annual, but that covers the whole family (don't have one) and lets you bring guests. I'll probably be heading out there this weekend to shoot my new Taurus 1911 I bought at the gunshow... and I'll get an annual. They seem like good people.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I stumbled upon the one in Pace after asking a sherrif where a range was... it was a nice range, but $10 per person, per visit is crazy. And they don't even provide targets, or an annual pass. Considering it's a public range... that's the most expensive one I've seen.

Something to keep in mind is that's $10 for the whole day. What me and some buds do is bring a shotgun or two, my .45, and a nice looking CMP M1. Fun time.

theduke

no one's gonna mention that place up in Pace?

is that the place that's about 5-10 minutes away from that private outdoor range with all of the red dirt? if so, i'd avoid it like the plague. I went there once--after about the 10th time i got flagged by various morons who couldn't figure out where NOT to point their weapons, I got out of there.