• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A Normal Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tahoe

John/Matt,

We talk a lot about different things that happen during training and various other things, but I'd like to get an idea of what a "Normal Day" is like for the two of you. What type of things do you do, basic duties, places you like to hang out in PCOLA, things like that.

Thanks!!

-Dave

Tahoe

By no means to I expect this to be a 9-5 job, I expect anything but! It sounds like many of us will be in OCS around the same time. I know I'll be down there in June if everything works out well. To be honest, I'm chewing my arm off sitting behind a desk right now all day!!

I'm sure with the time that I'm not studying or working I'll find my way around to the various places you've said. Maybe we'll all have to get together once we get down there and have ourselves a good BBQ!!

Jeff29

Science Project
Note: This info is about 16 months old.

The first chance to secure is 4th week MTT (Military Training Test). It's an exercise is memorization and folding your underwear into 4" x 4" hockey pucks. The class average is rarely high enough to secure at this point--a few classes each year will succeed. The next chance is 6th week PI. This is a uniform inspection that you better pass or you will be the joke of OCS.

As for the running that Ed asked about in another topic, you should be fine. There are several types of runs: PRT/practice PRT, group runs, ability group runs, and beach runs. PRT runs are just your fastest pace for 1.5 miles. Traditional group runs are easy because they only go fast enough to really push the slowest people. Ability runs are group runs but the groups are divided by ability; you select your own group, so push yourself, but don't kill yourself. Beach runs are group runs on the beach (notice how most of the DI's run down closer to the water where the sand is harder while you run up in the softer sand); these were by far my least favorite.

Ed Williams

The running sounds so fun, can't wait to go down. Hopefully, the 2Jun class will be high speed and secure liberty in the fourth week. Thanks for the info.
ed

Tahoe

quote:
The running sounds so fun, can't wait to go down. Hopefully, the 2Jun class will be high speed and secure liberty in the fourth week. Thanks for the info.
ed

Ed (or others),

Do you know if they give us off time for the 4th, or is it just another day?

-Dave

Ed Williams

I'm not 100% sure, but I kind of remember the some one saying that we would get that day off. Don't quote me on that, but i do think that we do.
ed

Tahoe

quote:
Time off? You must be joking!!

You only wish you had time off. Just look forward to the weekends when you finally do secure.

Matt Stevenson
LT(jg)
VFA-106
USN

There is NO LUV in the world!!

Ed Williams

You gotta love not getting off for a National Holiday? For the love of everything holy it is the 4th. Oh well not much I can do I guess. Thanks for brightening up my day.
ed

Jeff29

Science Project
Ed,

I think when you said the 4th, Matt thought you were talking about the 4th week MTT. As far as the 4th of July goes, you should get it "off". I got Labor Day and Veterans' Day off, and I'm pretty sure that you get all Federal Holidays off. The DI's, instructors, class officers, etc. get those days off, so, generally, you will too.

The extent of what you can do depends on the status of your class. You don't get a lot of time to catch your breath at OCS, so regardless of your status, it's a good idea to use your time wisely. Even after securing, I spent most of my "off" time sleeping, or trying to get a little bit ahead for the next evolution. The weekend before our 9th week MTT about 10 guys went over to a classmates house (he was from P-cola), and just hung out. When the inspecting DI's got wind of this, they had a field day. They started asking everyone what they had done over the weekend, and if you gave the wrong answer (i.e. "out playing"), you got some extra attention. Anyway, even though I didn't do that much playing during OCS and I have no regrets, as I did fairly well; besides you'll have plenty of time for playing while waiting for API to start.

Dave Shutter

Well, it's nice to know I'll have Memorial day and the 4'th off, considering that the first time around I was on Ft. Knox's premium freezing ashpalt doing PT at 4:05 on the mornings of Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years.

D

Ed Williams

Hopefully we will get the 4th off. I'm sure that i'll be able to use the extra day of study/rest espicially in the 4th week. I'll take whatever I can get.
ed

Kyle McWhirter

Anyone have an idea of the way time off works with API and the rest of the flight Pipline? I am guessing it isn't structured like college semesters.

Dave Shutter

Yeah, I'm basically with Jeff B. I'm sleeping/sudying/PRT'ng on my theoretical days off. There'll be plenty of party time afterwards. I think that's why they have periodic stash periods in the first place: for overstressed SNA/SNFO's to catch up on valuable drinking time!

D

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think you mean something more on the lines of underworked, understressed SNA's, don't you?

--Steve

Jeff29

Science Project
For what it's worth, I also remember being bombarded with info from banks, but I didn't pay much attention to it. I had my direct deposit set up before going to OCS (I highly recommend talking to your recruiter about this), so I just kept my previous bank account, and used my debit card anytime I needed money (I remember classmates having problems for a few weeks while their pay and banking issues got sorted out).

After graduating, I did change to USAA because they give newly commissioned officers a 4.9% Ensign-mobile loan (for new, used, or refinance of existing) if you change your direct deposit to them.

(Jeff brought up a great point, and there are deals out there for newly commissioned officers, check out this thread for other deals -- John Wickham: http://airwarriors.com/cgi-bin/forum/link.asp?TOPIC_ID=362)

--Jeff Bennion

Status
Not open for further replies.