• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A good time not to be a Sixth Fleet staffer...

jmcquate

Contributor
What I don't understand is if the Arab League also approved a "No Fly Zone", what are all of those F-16s we GAVE Egypt doing?

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Agree that the arab nations in the region should have a significant role in Libya. That said, look at the world right now:
(a) There's a humanitarian crisis in Japan, and our carrier task force is the 1st foreign presence able to provide assistance; and,
(b) There's a military crisis in Libya, and our carrier task force will be the point of the spear.

The Navy (and Marine Corps) isn't obsolete yet. And the Army & AF will get there eventually.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I'm so glad the world has given permission for people to exercise military power, as if they needed it anyway. That warms my heart, and makes me happy we spend so much money keeping the UN around.

jmcquate

Contributor
What's the purpose, even the playing field? Artty and armor are doing alot more damage to the "resistance" than airpower. The libyian Air Force can't hit the broad side of a barn door with dumb bombs. If it's in our natioanal interest to overthrow Gadhfai.......then overthrow Gadhafi. Otherwise, why put the life of our aircrews in danger?

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot

jmcquate

Contributor
Are targets too.

If the intent is to "halt government troops now around 100 km (60 miles) from Benghazi" then I would venture to say ground targets are going to be fair game.

That's not a no fly zone........that's CAS.

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
Interesting that they note Russia and China abstained from the vote because they "often oppose the use of force against a sovereign country as they believe it sets a dangerous precedent." I think the Georgians might be surprised to hear that Russia feels that way.

Seriously.

A lot of influential Russians forget that the Soviet Union broke up twenty years ago. There's some serious denial among the old hardliners and, disturbingly enough, a lot of younger nationalists, that the USSR is gone for good. Libya, and by extension any nation that opposes the Anglo-American sphere of influence is at least tacitly more on the Russian side than the American. Good ole geopolitics aren't dead yet.