• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A few questions - DUI, Board Dates, Full SNA for FY?

werdna

Hey guys,

Just got my scores back from the ASTB:

7(PFAR)

and a 66 OAR

I also have 80 hours logged and my private pilot license.

Spoke with my recruiter and I have a prior DUI from when I was 19 (2006). I thought that with these scores I would be OK as long as I get the waiver, but he is saying that the DUI makes me much less competitive. He almost guaranteed that I would not be selected.

Does anyone here have experience with a DUI and they were selected / rejected? I'd like to know what my chances are.

Also, I've been trying to find out the board dates for SNA selection. Anyone know when the next dates are coming?

Finally, are they filling up on their FY goals for SNA? Maybe I am much less competitive because there are very few spots left?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. I was pumped for the scores, but after the talk with my recruiter I'm really feeling discouraged...

Bevo16

pilot
Spoke with my recruiter and I have a prior DUI from when I was 19 (2006). I thought that with these scores I would be OK as long as I get the waiver, but he is saying that the DUI makes me much less competitive. He almost guaranteed that I would not be selected.

Does anyone here have experience with a DUI and they were selected / rejected? I'd like to know what my chances are.

Your recruiter has experience with applicants who have DUIs. He told you what your chances are.

Finally, are they filling up on their FY goals for SNA? Maybe I am much less competitive because there are very few spots left?

We always fill our goals for SNA. You are much less competitive because you have a DUI on your record.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
I'd like to know what my chances are.

No one knows what your chances are except the board that looks at your application. However I'd have to agree with your recruiter that your chances are probably low with the DUI.

Also, I've been trying to find out the board dates for SNA selection. Anyone know when the next dates are coming?

They're typically in the middle of the month and are always subject to change.

You're less competitive because you got caught drinking and driving.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. I was pumped for the scores, but after the talk with my recruiter I'm really feeling discouraged...

Submit the waiver. Work on everything else in your package. Good luck.

werdna

Thanks for the reply. Lazers, do the boards meet every month?

I understand I'm less competitive because of the DUI, but I guess what I'm looking for is anyone out there who was able to get in with one on their record. What their scores were like on their package and how I compare.

Thanks again.

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
I don't think you are going to find a lot of people on here with a DUI on their record for the same reason that your recruiter is telling you your chances aren't so good. People with DUI's generally can't get into Naval Aviation.

But, who knows? There may be a few out there. Good luck with your package. Stop drinking and driving (and getting caught doing it).

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
I knew someone in Primary who got the ol DUI in college.

I'm afraid I don't know much about their scores, though. Just proof that there are a few people out there. I do know they were NROTC, but that's about it.

murryton

pilot
As a Marine sitting through the CNP's brief today, I did manage to catch a couple of things: the Navy will remain at a stable size over the next few years, the recruit wait is 8 months (probably more for OCS), and they are only taking the highest qualified people. With a DUEY, you're probably not getting any people in your corner saying, "let's let this guy in over this kid with an immaculate record!" It's just the facts of life- I know your life will be hard enough with one on your record, but the military is the last place you'll be with one unless you have an admiral or General going to bat for you.

bluesig1

sure thing
None
The army does have moral waivers. :D

But all jokes aside, you just have to step up your A-game to make yourself more competitive in other ways.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Try addressing it in your application letter. Talk about the circumstances behind it and what you learned from it. Include any classes you might have taken or driving safety courses you completed as a result.

The big idea is to prove to the board that you understand drinking and driving was a mistake, have learned from it, and will never never ever do it again. This may help, it may not, but it won't hurt either.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Even if you found someone with a DUI in their application, their scores would be pretty irrelevant to you since what is "competitive" is constantly changing. From things I have heard from friends who are still in commissioning programs, it sounds like things are getting a little more competitive than they were in the last few years, but that is all just rumor mill so in reality you aren't going to get the answer you need here. Just make your package as strong as you can and wait to find out. Yes it sucks, but you won't be the first person who has had to sweat a few months out to see what their fate will be. As for the DUI, I know people who got them in college, and even a couple who got them in flight school. Some stuck around, others were shown the door.

werdna

Thanks for the info everyone! Much appreciated. wlawr, good idea about the letter. Hadn't really thought about that but I think it's a great idea.

Gasman

Talk to all the services. Address the DUI charge, how it happened, what you learned, and the fact that it has never happened since. Don't give up. Be aggressive in the interviews, emphasizing the above facts. Do not take o for an answer. Keep pushing. You won't get anything if you do nothing.

Okoboji

An OCS classmate of mine a couple years back had a DUI on his record but still got selected. He stated on his application (with no Admiral-type special letters of recommendation inside) that he made a stupid mistake which he would not repeat again. Today he's flying Hornets. The board realizes that you're a human, and everyone has seen plenty of DUI-free pilots still make an occasional poor decision in the cockpit. While it is true that a DUI makes your application less competative due to spotlighting the fact that you've made a reckless decision in the past, it is not a complete show-stopper.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Guys get kicked out of flight school/Navy for DUIs, so don't get your hopes up. If they are kicking guys out for it, I can't see them bringing a guy in with it already on his record. HOWEVER, write a genuine letter talking about the incident and how it was a LONG time ago and why it will never happen again, and give it your best shot. Worst they can say is no.

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
a dui, looks negative for the obvious reasons. people lose their job for it. However, APPLY. work at it, get denied and apply again. Make the rest of your application amazing. I wouldnt say you will ever be a shoe in, but you've made changes show them that