• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A few questions about naval aircrew

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Ken,
I was going from my COD days (1989-1993). I knew they are now fully qualified in both positions, but didn't know they changed the names. Thanks.
-ea6bflyr ;)

Anytime. I enjoy talking COD stuff. :icon_wink

Just realized that you were a prior COD crewman, now I feel really stupid!

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
If you want to be a C-2 crew do you enlist as a loadmaster?
First, you have no choice in which platform you go to as it will be needs of the Navy. You enlist as a naval aircrew man with a special designation such as operator, avionics, mechanical, etc. For your desires you want to enlist as a AWF. I had to enlist as a naval aircrewman and fill out a dream sheet. Based on the scores obtained from my ASVAB I was designated an AT. I filled out a dream sheet in bootcamp of my top 3 choices. I don't know if this is how they still do it or if you enlist as a AWF (hopefully this is the case if not try to make it happen by getting it in writing). Once you complete boot camp you attend NACCS. Once you complete NACCS you attend "A" school. After you complete "A" school the Navy will decide which route they want you to take. At this point you can only hope you get a chance to pursue a 8279 NEC. Your academic standing will help you so work hard but no matter how hard you work it will still be the needs of the Navy. If you don't get your #1 choice you may still get have a good chance to get your 2nd. Good Luck.

Ralph

Thanks, thats really good info. What are the chances of getting assigned to a C-40, C-37 or C-20? It doesn't sound like there is a bad place to wind up. Also what are some of the shore duties that are available if any?

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Thanks, thats really good info. What are the chances of getting assigned to a C-40, C-37 or C-20? It doesn't sound like there is a bad place to wind up. Also what are some of the shore duties that are available if any?

Chances... No idea... It is based on the needs of the Navy... What the Navy's needs are will determine your chances... Shore duties depend on what you want to do but typically instructor duty, RDC, and recruiting are the top choices.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

I'm not 100% on this, but I believe the VR crewman are still FTS and not Regnav. The helo crewman all converted to Regnav but the AWFs stayed on the Reserve side.