• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A few new plinking rifles....

Brett1

Banned
Worthwhile units????

dsc04739kp7.jpg

dsc04738qm7.jpg

dsc04742ct9.jpg

dsc04740ly4.jpg

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
This should be in the firearms thread...

And oh by the way, awesome set! What are the details on that second rifle, specifically the lower receiver and hand guards.

I recommend a Barret product if plinking.

I had the good fortune (even if it was impossible to shoot when he was) to have the bench next to one like this on Sunday at a local shoot. http://www.impactguns.com/store/M82A1.html
MOST impressive, and he was shooting hand loads, being 4 foot to it's side I was amazed by the concussion. It was a fun assed time, after every 5 rounds he let it cool for about 5 minutes, I don't know if that was a requirement or not.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
I had the good fortune (even if it was impossible to shoot when he was) to have the bench next to one like this on Sunday at a local shoot. http://www.impactguns.com/store/M82A1.html
MOST impressive, and he was shooting hand loads, being 4 foot to it's side I was amazed by the concussion. It was a fun assed time, after every 5 rounds he let it cool for about 5 minutes, I don't know if that was a requirement or not.
What kind of range was he touchin with that thing? Curious what he could do with those hand loads ... quite the attention grabber I'd imagine.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
What kind of range was he touchin with that thing? Curious what he could do with those hand loads ... quite the attention grabber I'd imagine.

I had an opportunity to shoot THE Barrett a few years back. I dont know of a range long enough to actually gauge what kind of range you can pull out of that rifle. Im not talking about the 1km long shots the Canadian sniper team made out in Afghanistan that took several shots and a forward spotter to call it in, Im referring just to straight level accurate shots. From what I have seen it can easily reach out 600 - 700 yards with .50 BMG ball ammo. We got on top of the berm and shot into a mesa that was about 700 yards away, we didnt have a target set up out there so it was hard to tell what kind of groups it was shooting. With hand loads, much farther without question.

He was shooting the 300 yard berm, here's a link w/pics with a FRACTION of the weapons. Yes, there was some FULL auto stuff there as well. This range is a deal, 15 bucks all day and they supply crap free if you need it. (ears, couple targets, spotting scope, golf cart)
http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=3218

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
He was shooting the 300 yard berm, here's a link w/pics with a FRACTION of the weapons. Yes, there was some FULL auto stuff there as well. This range is a deal, 15 bucks all day and they supply crap free if you need it. (ears, couple targets, spotting scope, golf cart)
http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=3218

That is a nice deal - but LOTS of people there. I come from the 'country' so I don't do well in crowds of people ;) In all seriousness, I miss shooting at REAL ranges. We had some great ones back home... one had big black steel (maybe cast iron?) 'community' targets starting at 200, going each 100 all the way out to 1000. Never saw anybody touch 1000, but a buddy of mine could get 800 fairly consistently, 900 a few times. The best part was you KNEW when you hit the target because you could hear the SMACK and it would leave a mark. I think they actually painted the targets every few weeks. 5 bucks, all day. Most people I saw there was 6, and that includes the old man who's sole purpose in life now is to keep up that range. Good times...

That is a nice deal - but LOTS of people there. I come from the 'country' so I don't do well in crowds of people ;) In all seriousness, I miss shooting at REAL ranges. We had some great ones back home... one had big black steel (maybe cast iron?) 'community' targets starting at 200, going each 100 all the way out to 1000. Never saw anybody touch 1000, but a buddy of mine could get 800 fairly consistently, 900 a few times. The best part was you KNEW when you hit the target because you could hear the SMACK and it would leave a mark. I think they actually painted the targets every few weeks. 5 bucks, all day. Most people I saw there was 6, and that includes the old man who's sole purpose in life now is to keep up that range. Good times...

Usually that range is deserted especially during the week. Been there before and it was just me, the wife, geese and whatever Eastern Shore swamp critters lurking around. Last Sunday was the exception, we try and get together every few months.

skylier36

None
Brett,

How do you like the SIG 556? I have one in almost the same configuration. Are the bi-pod legs worth the added weight?

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
With the current price of .223REM/5.56NATO I wouldn't exactly call those "plinking rifles".

They're nice as hell though!